ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hiking Poles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: 5/25/2004, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well, i went to walmart and checked out their poles for the 2cnd time. each time I thought they were kind of heavy. if the $30 Masters Explorers ones are that heavy, I think I'd be dissapointed. Popular didn't have much when I went. I may check REI, again, too. I was all set to buy the $30 ones, but I figured I'd see what they were made of and compare to others on the same and many other websites. I didn't see anything else made of 7075 aluminum. the ones at walmart just said "aluminum." The thing that really made we wonder about these was, they were about the only ones that did not mention the weight. anyone have any good comparison websites or a backpacker magazine to do a little comparison? (I might just head to the bookstore and see if that's a possibility). thx
Daryl

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/HikingPoles.cfm

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thx for that info, daryl. i went to the library today and looked in the march backpacker magazine and they actually did not have the master explorer poles listed. I also went to REI and the guy said those are "no-name" poles and he wouldn't buy them (yes, I showed the competition another pole-they know I spend a lot of $ there). One thing that the magazine said was that there are many poles that just don't hold up to putting a lot of weight on them (like a heavy pack...) REI suggested to get their cheap $60 pole, which has the disadvantage of having that hard rubber handle (it may as well almost be plastic it's so hard). Lastly, i emailed backcountrystore.com and they told me that they called the master explorer poles people and the poles weigh 9.9 oz! If that is true, they are lighter than any pole that was listed on the list you sent. I want light, but I want strong. I'm wondering if it's worth taking the risk with these cheapies or going with REI and their hands-on-no mail-great guarantee-but spend twice the amount....
i'll tell u, ski poles are really light, so maybe these masters are really 9.9, but just not as strong? don't want 'em breaking on the middle of Whitney!
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kim, I got some real light LEKI Titanium poles. They are the lightest and Titanium is very strong.
Actually they were free of sorts, got them a couple of years ago with my REI rebate Very Happy

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
outside1

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just to add to the mix you might want to look at Sierra Trading Post.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/EUI/controller.asp?N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=pole&Nty=1&D=pole&Ntx=mode+matchallany&sid=40B3DE006ACDE17F
Kim

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thanks. all the info the better. did u see this pole on the site? $23.16-used to be $70 and just over 1lb, but i've never heard of the brand, Komperdell before. decisions, decisions. Rolling Eyes Crazy
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.asp?base_no=99654
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Komperdell is a well known name. I got a pair off Sierra a few months back, closeout at 23$ for the pair. Glad I got a deal. One of the tips broke off after just a couple hikes, but I am very hard on my poles, (got it caught good between a rock and a hard place)...other than that they are lightweight and pretty good, so if you can get them at a bargain rpice, go for it!
Kim

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sande J, Good to know about Komperdell. I think it said they're from a European country. thx! How big a deal was the tip breaking off? is it replacable? do u think it would've happened with a more $ pair?
dennisbench

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice!! I just ordered the Komperdell's on the Sierra site for $27.66 including the S & H. You can't beat that! Thanks for the link.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/26/2004, 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We have a pair of REI poles which were made by Komperdell. They've been great poles. I may order another pair because ours are getting a little old. Thanks for the link!
Kim

PostPosted: 5/27/2004, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oo, now that's nice to know! i've waited so long, now, though, that I don't think I'll order those poles, as I want them for a backpacking trip this weekend. I might have to go with the $60 REI ones. My husband doesn't care much about his poles. He said he'll try out the Walmart ones. I'll have to compare them in weight and see. That's what i get for waiting until the last minute! Still good to know, though!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/27/2004, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was just at the REI in Tempe today, the person in front of me in line just bought a pair of the $60 poles and they were $48 after the 20% off. They looked really light. they were the two section kind which will compact more. My Super Makula are three section so they are a little longer and a little heavier and cant fit completely in my pack. So I would recommend the 2 section poles.
Kim

PostPosted: 5/27/2004, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh, man. they had 3 poles left! i hope they'll have a pair in PV! I hate it when i wait like this!! i thought they were 3 section poles, though. i remember the guy screwing out 2 parts to show the length.
Kim

PostPosted: 5/27/2004, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

all the time i spent figuring out which poles i should buy and running around, i could've worked some OT and bought the Lekis! man! anyway, i went to PV REI and the staff there were really pushing the Lekis and if not the Lekis, the REI Traverse. I ended up buying the Traverse for $75 with my 20% discount, ending up costing $60. I liked the foam handles and the option of anti-shock, so figured for $13 more after discount, I'd just get those. The plastic handle has gotta get cold in winter and hot and sweaty in the summer. i went to Walmart and picked up the $20 poles for my husband and went to Target to see if they'd have poles. They had $50 poles on sale for $40 that i got to see which he'd want. Ofcourse he likes the $40. They're Stansport Sojourn poles. They have the cork handle which the $60 REIs didn't even have.

What I'm wondering about, now, is the tips. The Walmart one seems to have a huge plastic tip. The Target ones have a clear tip over the sharper metal tip. I don't know if i will even be able to get the plastic off or if i'm meant to take it off. The REI ones have the plastic tip over the metal that comes off very easy, as if it was meant to.

and, Sande and Mike, u're right, REI sells tons of Komperdells. if i had more time i prob would've ordered those on line. My REI pole is also made by Komperdell.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 6/5/2004, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Used the Komperdell's from STP today for the first time. Man, what a difference. It took a little bit to get used to them, and probably will take a trip or two before I feel like a pro with them. After using them during the hike, I hiked a short ways without using them, and the difference was remarkable, especially uphill and parts with loose footing. Great purchase can't wait to get on the trail with them again.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: