ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hiking Poles
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 11:21 pm    Post subject: Hiking Poles Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money to buy the Leki Super Makalu Cor-Tec Positive-Angle Trekking Poles at REI on sale for $109.99 from $139.95. I don't think i'd use poles on most hiking trips, just some of the bigger ones and am not sure if it's worth the extra money, or if I should go with something a little cheaper. My friend found a pair of clearance $30 Leki's that were fine before we went on the Rim-Rim-Rim. I've been hoping for another deal like that, but I think it might be wishful thinking. Any thoughts about poles/prices/where to buy would be appreciated!!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Early last year I picked up two pairs of inexpensive poles for about $30 a pair. They have worked well for me after replacing the rubber tips twice. I've really beaten them up. You really don't have to go big-name in this category.

Here is a pair of decent looking poles. Not sure if they come with the rubber tips or not.

http://www.backcountrystore.com/store/ALP0009.html
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think REI is having garage sale on June 5 so if you get there early you might be able to pick up a good pair
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I gave in and bought a pair of the Leki Super Makalu Cor-Tec Positive-Angle Trekking Poles from REI a few months ago. They have worked great for me. Sometimes you may have a problem getting them to lock when your screwing them in. I am on my 3rd set now because of that, but I figured out how to fix the problem easily too. I just wish the people at REI new the easy fix when I took back the 1st two. My friend tom bought a pair for $20 at wallmart and they have worked just fine for him but are a little bent and need new rubber tips. As Desertgirl said I would just go to the Garage Sale and you should be able to pick up a pair for a pretty good price.
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've got a pair of Leki Makula Tour I bought several years ago for about $80. The grips are solid plastic instead or cork but I've gotton use to them. If you hike a lot just make sure you replace the dowels inside every year and they'll last a long time. I can swear by the poles and my knees are glad that I bought them.
Daryl

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use and love the REI Traverse. I only use them on long hikes, or hikes with a lot of up hill. I'm sure a lighter pair and/or better grips would be even better but I'm happy with what I got.

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Curious about poles, if you just want to try, go to Wal Mart for less than ten bucks you can get one that will let you figure out if you need to spend the big bucks. I use one from Treks and one of the cheaper ones. The cheap ones are a little lighter weight, so in the future I might spring for a more expensive model, but for testing purposes the cheap ones work well enough to give you an idea if they work for you.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One note -- If you are deciding you are going to use a wood stick/pole -- the experience is quite different. On my past Grandview Hike I traded my Leki's for a fellow hikers' wood stick & I did not care of the wood one. Its heavy ( some of the cheap metal ones are heavy too); blistered my hands ( I guess if I stuck with it long enough i'dhave callused hands Confused & all will be well) and did not give me a firm purchase on the trail.

So try the technical poles -

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Early last year I picked up two pairs of inexpensive poles for about $30 a pair. They have worked well for me after replacing the rubber tips twice. I've really beaten them up. You really don't have to go big-name in this category.

Here is a pair of decent looking poles. Not sure if they come with the rubber tips or not.

http://www.backcountrystore.com/store/ALP0009.html
I hate when I have to do this but I agree with Tom. I have the same poles he does and I only use one at that. If you are not going to depend on them all the time save the 100 bucks and spend it on something else. Mine have served me well.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
I gave in and bought a pair of the Leki Super Makalu Cor-Tec Positive-Angle Trekking Poles from REI a few months ago. They have worked great for me. Sometimes you may have a problem getting them to lock when your screwing them in. I am on my 3rd set now because of that, but I figured out how to fix the problem easily too. I just wish the people at REI new the easy fix when I took back the 1st two. My friend tom bought a pair for $20 at wallmart and they have worked just fine for him but are a little bent and need new rubber tips. As Desertgirl said I would just go to the Garage Sale and you should be able to pick up a pair for a pretty good price.

What trick do you have for keeping them locked and not moving lower when you put tons of weight on them? Read about people having the replace them due to over-tight problems?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sometimes I can't get them to lock when i'm adjusting them, I just kind of extend it in and out all the way a few times and try to tighten them again and they seem to work fine. I haven't had any problems with them not being able to handle the wieght though but I only have probably 125 miles on them.
Kim

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wow, i didn't hear any complaints, really with the cheap poles, only with the $ Leki's. Ofcourse, u can't beat REI's return policy, so sometimes it's worth the extra $. I might be getting 2 pairs, though, which will be an extra $140! Website says if I spend over $50 I get free shipping, too!. I actually did get a taste of using poles, as when I went on the R2R2R, I used a ski pole, but only had one. It was really light weight and I remember wishing I had 2. Being able to fold them up is always nice, too. I did see the poles at Walmart and thought they were kinda heavy. I only remember seeing one pair to choose from, too. I'm doing Mt. Whitney, so am wanting to go as light as possible, but am not sure of weight differences and how much that matters when it comes to poles.

Tom and Cindy, I didn't see anything for weight on those poles u have- would they probably be fairly light good poles for Whitney? Also, did u buy them off that same web site?

and, as far as that darn garage sale---I've looked for poles as many of those and if there ever are any, they go so fast. I just never have any luck at those sales. I usually end up with a couple pairs of socks. One year I did score some good convertible pants and a couple great wool sweaters, though. That was my 1st garage sale. Now they're much more popular and kinda out of hand than they were back then.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/20/2004, 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually Kim, the poles I have are much lesser quality than the poles on the link. They are very light though. I wish I could have found those poles at backcountry store at the time. Aluminum shafts should be pretty light. Most of the features you would find with much more expensive poles (feature list on right side of ad). The only questionable note would be replacement parts, but at that price... buy two pairs.

I read into the ad a bit deeper, compressed cork grip, replaceable tips, additional rubber tip ends, and a 2 year warranty. Sheesh... I think I might swing for a pair of them.

PostPosted: 5/20/2004, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know about Tom but I got mine at Popular. I think they are light ( I can't give you exact weight) but I only use mine for creek crossings, and only if I remember them at all. I think poles are a pain in the butt and I prefer to not carry them.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/20/2004, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The lighter the better for extended hikes. Nothing like a good set of trekking poles for the uphills in rough country or crossing lots of deep sand. I use mine about half the time and they go on the pack for the rest. If you are carrying a heavy pack they really shine. If I were going to climb a big mountain I would not forget my poles.

I don't know anything much about the difference in quality between the different manufacterors but light and adjustability are good. If the straps are adjustable and hold their adjustment, that is very important as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: