ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Latest Lake Powell drought article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 7:17 am    Post subject: Latest Lake Powell drought article Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just read this article from www.livingrivers.net. Scarey stuff! Sad
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You know Georgia, I remember the first year the lake was finally full. I believe it was in the early to mid '80s. Linda and I spent a week adventuring up there. Strange how quickly things can happen on a big scale isn't it.

I was up in Page this March. We took the shuttle out to the Rainbow Room at Wawheep for lunch and the lake looked like this at that time. Way, way down.

GeorgAz

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow! It's really down there! We may get to see Glen Canyon one way or another!! Shocked
Leva

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember being on the lake in the mid 80's when the lake was very close to overtopping the dam -- they had the flood gates wide open and water was coming in faster than they could let it out. They actually had plywood across the top of the dam to prevent waves from crashing over the top.

Pretty weird to see it this low.

Also pretty weird to look at pictures and realize that only four years ago, I spent most of the day in a boat, stranded with my dad and a family friend near Gunsight Butte, when the timing chain broke on the rented boat. Dead calm, no wind, *you* try rowing a twenty-something foot cabin cruiser. Spent the day fishing until the boat rental place rescued us. That area's now high and dry and there was seventy feet of water under the boat where we were stranded then ...

Leva
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: