ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Peace In The Valley Y'all
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> ** Announcements ** Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Peace In The Valley Y'all Reply to topic Reply with quote

Over the past few days a few members have gotten heated over some discussions that I'm afraid if left unchecked, might turn nasty and start to turn folks away from the site. Now that's just my opinion and I don't want anyone posting their sides here. That turns ugly too, we've all seen it tear down other discussion boards, hiking related and not. On to the topic.

As many of you have read, we're going to sell site related items and use the proceeds to benefit the site in one way or another. Without public discussion, we made evenstar our site banker since he's got a bit of history doing that kind of thing.
(I think he's on his way to Mexico with our 58 cents as I type. Wink )

There has also been discussions amongst many including Mike, evenstar and myself about using some of the proceeds towards charity related costs. We would like to maybe do an Adopt-A-Trail, Adopt-A-Highway and others.

Enter my father Mickey.

As you may or may not know, my father and I own the company whose server hosts this website. From day one he's never mentioned a word for any reimbursement even though I've told him we may eventually have more than a terabyte of pictures of rocks, dogs, grandkids, text posts and videos of fools and rattlesnakes.
My father calls me last night and insists that I go read my email. The following is his letter that he asked me to post in his name. Take a good read and let us know your thoughts.

Quote:

I have been following this group and site as a “by stander” for the entire time the site has been in existence. In late 2002 Todd came to me and asked about the possibility of hosting a web site for the group that he had been hiking with. He explained to me that the web site previously used for the group had unexpectedly shut down. Gartman Technical Services had one web server at that time and it was not at capacity and I thought it was a good idea. It did not cost us anything and if we could help, why not. At least Todd would be doing something useful!!!!

When I have time, I like to browse through different parts of www.arizonahikers.com
to see what people are saying about their trips and experiences. The jokes poked at different hikers keep things light which is something we all need these days. The pictures and experiences different people share with the group, and visitors like myself, are tremendous. I have learned a lot about our beautiful state just by reading the articles and trip logs on the site.

The different ideas, site development and growth, friendships that have been formed, great pictures, etc have been amazing to me. Keep up the good work and do what you have to do to keep the group together and have some fun. Don’t take things too seriously and remember why you hike and have groups like this.

Pat, Paige and I really enjoyed joining you at the picnic earlier this year. To meet people and put faces to names such as evenstar (aka Hooli), CatValet, Daddee, Arizonaheat, and Mike was very nice. The work Mike, Todd and everyone else has put into the site has resulted in something all members should be proud of.

Recently Todd came to me with a second idea about the web site (he does not get many so I try to listen to each one of them carefully). He told me about an “extension” to the web site that would allow people to order specialty items and the proceeds from the sales would accumulate for the benefit of the group. He also mentioned about any excess funds being used to pay for the cost of web server upgrades, bandwidth usage, etc. At the time I told him I was not interested in getting anything in return for the web site hosting. I also told him that if Gartman Technical Services could do anything to help, we would be glad to.

Some of the recent postings on the site concerning the new addition and what to do with the funds have made me think about it a little more. There have been numerous suggestions and some mentioned reimbursing Gartman Technical Services. Several have mentioned using the excess funds for charity.

I know I don’t have a group vote but I would like to make a suggestion. You might have to do a little extra work for this one. Why doesn’t the group “adopt” a needy family or two for the year end holiday season? Use anything you might have contributed to Gartman Technical Services to pay for toys for some needy kids, food, nice clothes to help the parents and the kids, and anything else you can think of. Pat, Paige and I would like to help with all of it. I have a feeling the employees of GTS might like to join in. A long time ago I did something like this with another group and have never forgotten the good feeling from it. Why I have not done it again is a mystery to me. Now seems like a good opportunity for everyone.

Mickey Gartman and the employees of Gartman Technical Services, Inc.

Thanks to the members and especially to my Dad,
GTG
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome Mickey. You have my vote as company of the year, and owner of the year. Bar none.

So what happened to Todd?

Shades
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Peace In The Valley Y'all Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Over the past few days a few members have gotten heated over some discussions that I'm afraid if left unchecked, might turn nasty and start to turn folks away from the site. GTG

Yeah, that porridge paintninaz just keeps stirring things up Rolling Eyes

GTG wrote:
As many of you have read, we're going to sell site related items and use the proceeds to benefit the site in one way or another. Without public discussion, we made evenstar our site banker since he's got a bit of history doing that kind of thing.
(I think he's on his way to Mexico with our 58 cents as I type. Wink ) GTG

Nah, I'm waitin' 'til we get at least a buck fifty!

GTG wrote:
There has also been discussions amongst many including Mike, evenstar and myself about using some of the proceeds towards charity related costs. Enter my father Mickey.

As you may or may not know, my father and I own the company whose server hosts this website. From day one he's never mentioned a word for any reimbursement even though I've told him we may eventually have more than a terabyte of pictures of rocks, dogs, grandkids, text posts and videos of fools and rattlesnakes.
My father calls me last night and insists that I go read my email. The following is his letter that he asked me to post in his name. Take a good read and let us know your thoughts.

Quote:

I have been following this group and site as a “by stander” for the entire time the site has been in existence. In late 2002 Todd came to me and asked about the possibility of hosting a web site for the group that he had been hiking with. He explained to me that the web site previously used for the group had unexpectedly shut down. Gartman Technical Services had one web server at that time and it was not at capacity and I thought it was a good idea. It did not cost us anything and if we could help, why not. At least Todd would be doing something useful!!!!

When I have time, I like to browse through different parts of www.arizonahikers.com
to see what people are saying about their trips and experiences. The jokes poked at different hikers keep things light which is something we all need these days. The pictures and experiences different people share with the group, and visitors like myself, are tremendous. I have learned a lot about our beautiful state just by reading the articles and trip logs on the site.

The different ideas, site development and growth, friendships that have been formed, great pictures, etc have been amazing to me. Keep up the good work and do what you have to do to keep the group together and have some fun. Don’t take things too seriously and remember why you hike and have groups like this.

Pat, Paige and I really enjoyed joining you at the picnic earlier this year. To meet people and put faces to names such as evenstar (aka Hooli), CatValet, Daddee, Arizonaheat, and Mike was very nice. The work Mike, Todd and everyone else has put into the site has resulted in something all members should be proud of.

Recently Todd came to me with a second idea about the web site (he does not get many so I try to listen to each one of them carefully). He told me about an “extension” to the web site that would allow people to order specialty items and the proceeds from the sales would accumulate for the benefit of the group. He also mentioned about any excess funds being used to pay for the cost of web server upgrades, bandwidth usage, etc. At the time I told him I was not interested in getting anything in return for the web site hosting. I also told him that if Gartman Technical Services could do anything to help, we would be glad to.

Some of the recent postings on the site concerning the new addition and what to do with the funds have made me think about it a little more. There have been numerous suggestions and some mentioned reimbursing Gartman Technical Services. Several have mentioned using the excess funds for charity.

I know I don’t have a group vote but I would like to make a suggestion. You might have to do a little extra work for this one. Why doesn’t the group “adopt” a needy family or two for the year end holiday season? Use anything you might have contributed to Gartman Technical Services to pay for toys for some needy kids, food, nice clothes to help the parents and the kids, and anything else you can think of. Pat, Paige and I would like to help with all of it. I have a feeling the employees of GTS might like to join in. A long time ago I did something like this with another group and have never forgotten the good feeling from it. Why I have not done it again is a mystery to me. Now seems like a good opportunity for everyone.

GTG

Think Mickey, Pat and Paige are a class act and think their idea excellent! Also hope to see them at the Chili Shindig where we can give them an update on how we've put their idea to work!

Also, let's not forget Stan..ya know Stan...the guy that drank up all GTG's water Saturday Wink. Based on the t-shirt designs we've seen from the WFW Yep, it's a swimmer! and the Ridgeline Hiking, way I look at it the most appealing site related items are gonna be in the form of Designs By Kurthzone. (Not sure he's aware of that yet. Was hopin' GTG would tell him Saturday, but since they were all steppin on their tongues from the heat, don't think he did! Rolling Eyes )

And finally...Mickey thank you for putting up with GTG and letting him live beyond his teen years. I know it couldn't have been easy Rolling Eyes .....He and Mike have put together an awesome site that couldn't have been done without your blessing and for that you have my eternal gratitude and, I'm sure, the gratitude of all AZH'rs!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For what its worth, I think the Adopt a Highway thingie and adopting a needy family are great ideas too.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excellent idea....I've often thought about the kids in less fortunate areas of this valley and would love to bring to them the "magic" and the "getting it" of the outdoors. I used to bring things to the homeless school, that my boys had out grown or out used. Those kids are starving for attention and what a gift we could bring them. I am a believer that if you keep a kid busy, they won't get into trouble. Let me know what I can do. Mary
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I think he's on his way to Mexico with our 58 cents as I type. )

I know he has experience, I just hope he didn't work for World Bank, if he did tell him to withdraw a couple of billion he siphoned off so we can all become full time hikers. Very Happy

Mickey, I too, think it is a great idea. After reading your post I see where Goatboy got his genourous, caring side Exclamation He is one of the most caring and genourous persons I have ever met, always looking out for others, you should be proud of him.

Your genorosity is greatly appreciated by all that participate on this site Exclamation
ck1

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I certainly agree to any charitable aspect generated, as long as the site doesn't become a finanical burden to GTS, I'd be all in favor of donating the extras. My first thought was to the Pappas School, but there are plenty of other charities out there.

Along those same lines...I was tossing around the idea of "sponsoring" an Arizona Hikers Blood Drive...I know Todd has plenty of needles, and well...

"The Journey is the Destination"
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
I know Todd has plenty of needles, and well...

I have more needles than Todd and all the other AZH'r put together Razz

But I'd like to sit down with Mickey and Pat at the Chili Shindig and hear some of their ideas as to where to stick the needle.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
paintninaz

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mickey you are a gem! Ok

I think the idea is excellent!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mickey - well spoken. We all appreciate the generosity of yourself, Todd and the GTS crew. It has helped us create a really unique community here.

As far as the funds raised:

I have participated in several family specific end-of-the-year/Christamas food/toys/clothing drives and a few beginning of the school year supplies drives. Each one was special and each one was memorable. I even got to ge the bearer of gifts on two occasions - an experience I will never forget.

I am all for the charity idea - I don't even really care which charity/family/cause we get involved in, just so long as we can actually make a difference. If we help out specific individuals, great. If we help out the environment, great. It's kind of a no-lose situation.

All I can hope for is that we can all agree on what charity/cause we are supporting.

Oh, and I think that Mickey and GTG should have a very strong vote in whatever we do. I trust them implicitly in these situations.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Peace In The Valley Y'all Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Over the past few days a few members have gotten heated over some discussions that I'm afraid if left unchecked, might turn nasty and start to turn folks away from the site. Now that's just my opinion and I don't want anyone posting their sides here. That turns ugly too, we've all seen it tear down other discussion boards, hiking related and not. On to the topic.

(I think he's on his way to Mexico with our 58 cents as I type. :wink: )

There has also been discussions amongst many including Mike, evenstar and myself about using some of the proceeds towards charity related costs. We would like to maybe do an Adopt-A-Trail, Adopt-A-Highway and others.

Enter my father Mickey.

Quote:

GTG
Mickey, Paige, Pat, as I said previously to GoatBoy, I'll donate my time!

GTG wrote:
What a cool group! "Thanks to the members and especially to my Dad...".
Right on, dude! Cool dad's are hard to come by! U got that part right!
JW.
srlatty

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mickey,

First, thanks for allowing us to use your resources! We were a lost group looking for a home when you were kind enough to allow us in. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to grow into the community that we have.

Second, your idea of adopting a family, or 2, for the holiday season is excellent. I hope to be available to help distribute the goods. I was involved in a similar type project in my youth and it is quite humbling. And one of the most rewarding things I have ever been involved with!

Third and last: Even though we are providing you some entertainment, we should also help to pay for being here. The space and bandwidth aren't free, and you have been more than generous in the past. Maybe its time we started paying you back, if only a little. I still think some of the money generated should be funneled to GTS to help defray some of the costs. I will be more than happy to come up with ideas to wrestle it away from Evenstar, even if it means physical contact.
(If he shows up in the AZH thong, all bets are off!!!!!)

Seriously, thank you for all that you have done for us. We wouldn't be here if not for you.....kind of like Todd.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow Mickey, you are amazing! What a kind and generous thing for you to offer! Makes a girl proud to be part of this community! God bless you and your family. Yeah even you Todd.....

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excellent...Whatever the causes arizonahikers adopts -- Count me in.

Special thanks to everyone at Gartman Technical Services, Inc for your wonderful support for this website community.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very good ideas, I support any cause that AZH decides on.
Thanks Todd and Mickey for a great website.

Sherileeaz Hiking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> ** Announcements ** All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: