ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Why I live in Arizona
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiz

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hopalong wrote:
Aaarrrgghhhhh..............you guys are really testing me!!!!!! I cannot stand it when locals go on and on about how long they've been planted in one spot. GOOODY FOR YOU!!!!!

So what exactly are you saying - I shouldn't have come here???? Why not? I'm a free, god-loving, tax-paying American. Thankfully, no matter how natives feel, we all can go wherever we want.
One more thing....I love this place - probably more than a lot of natives.

JEEZ you're touchy! No one said anything like that! But Arizona, Phx in particular, WAS a lot nicer when it was less crowded. So what. So was everyplace. I don't think anyone was pointing the finger at you.

So you can stop referring to us as "the locals" and "the natives". We're just hikers like you.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hopalong wrote:
Aaarrrgghhhhh..............you guys are really testing me!!!!!! I cannot stand it when locals go on and on about how long they've been planted in one spot. GOOODY FOR YOU!!!!!

FORTUNATELY for me my great-great-grandparents were wanderers who crossed an ocean on a piece of sh_ _ ship, then trekked from NYC to Salt Lake City with a bunch of other loonies. Then the great grandparents trekked on further to Idaho, the next generation went to Calif. and the parents went to Alaska. Obviously - I came here? And guess what, my kids don't like it here so I'll assume at some point -they'll be leaving. There, that should make you natives happy. I sometimes wonder if it wasn't those locals that settled here in the 1800's, who had 3 wives and 30 children aren't to blame for the congestion.

So what exactly are you saying - I shouldn't have come here???? Why not? I'm a free, god-loving, tax-paying American. Thankfully, no matter how natives feel, we all can go wherever we want.

Also, in Alaska, you don't call yourself a native unless your skin is brown, even if your grandma is buried in permafrost.

I'll tell you what, living and wandering around this country has given me a pride in America that inspires me. I've been to almost every state and can't wait to get to the ones I haven't.

Sorry for the rant, sorry to offend, it isn't my intention. My intention is just to let local natives know that there are two sides to this story.

One more thing....I love this place - probably more than a lot of natives.

First of all I would like to say that my intention on this site is never to offend. Sometimes that happens when someone is sensitive to beliefs that are opposed to mine, but that doesn't make my opinion less valuable or greater than theirs. I only stated what I did for a couple of reasons: I was making light of ck1's little joke about Arizona's political, cultural and educational arena, and also saying something about who I am. I also believe that I was not going on and on about anything (your post does more of that) nor do I have any relatives that practiced polygamy. Because your quest in life is nomadic and you want no permanency does not make it better. The relatives I did not mention were my mother's father who came over here from Sweden when he was 18 and worked in the mine in Jerome, and my father's grandmother who came to Colorado from Virginia in a covered wagon in a wagon train. I am perfectly aware of Manifest Destiny and what it means, but I still liked it here better when it wasn't so crowded. Still nowhere better for me for now. So I would hope that you don't dislike me simply because I'm a native.

BTW, ck1 has it all right about why he is here. It is a nice place to live. At one time in my life I was heavily involved in fine art. If I had pursued that to the max I would more than likely be in a different part of the country because cowboy art just doesn't cut it for me.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I would more than likely be in a different part of the country because cowboy art just doesn't cut it for me.

Now that is about as accurate a statement on AZ culture as has ever been made.
Go to the opera sometime - there is always some dude dressed up in the brushpopper shirt with the 10 gallon hat and snakeskin boots - all with the garish "southwestern" colors of pink/turquoise/coral/sand combo. Then there is the companion in the same colors, except with sparkelies all over as well. Of course there is also (and I made it a point to find at least one at every performance I went to over the years) some joker dressed in shorts and a T-shirt. Never fails.

"Southwestern" art and colors (the trendy stuff - not true native american art) make me want to puke. Sorry if I offend anyone that likes that stuff - I personally do not. I'm all kokopellied out.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Had to be close to hiking country & Grand Canyon. Yeah Utah may be better but its a heck of lot easier to pay your bills in PHX!

Love this state -- Where else can you drive 4 hrs & loose 40F Exclamation
ck1

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hopalong, were you having a bad day? I mean, wow, Stan just said he liked it when it was less crowded...I don't believe he attacked anyone...

Hopalong wrote:
then trekked from NYC to Salt Lake City with a bunch of other loonies. .

Not to be an ass, but, honesty, you can't say that you are sorry to offend when you make such a comment...refering to others as loonies tends to offend.

Hopalong wrote:

Also, in Alaska, you don't call yourself a native unless your skin is brown, even if your grandma is buried in permafrost.

"native" means "born in a particular place"...so...Stan...being born here...makes him a native.

Let's play nice kids....

"The Journey is the Destination"
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 10:12 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Once I'm done w/ school here and save up some money, I'm moving out to Arizona first chance I get to. ASAP. Once I leave Pennsylvania and get out to Arizona, I'll never be able to move back to Pennsylvania again. I love it out there. Time cannot go fast enough and school cannot end soon enough. The weather, the trails, the city out there, I love it!
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Seems to me Hopalong was just having some fun. I don't know her personally but when I read her post, and having read some of her previous posts here and at HAZ, she seems like a playful person and that's the way I took her post. The next person to post (Evenstar) seemed to take it the same way. Having fun with an addige that seems true in many places; locals generally like their place to stay "undiscovered" is pretty good natured fun and easy---I surely don't see it as testy or worthy of what, 3 or 4 people getting on her about it. But hey, to each his own. Rolling Eyes
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Higgs wrote:
Seems to me Hopalong was just having some fun......The next person to post (Evenstar) seemed to take it the same way.

Yeah, Kelly has to get a good rant out of her system every once in a while or her head explodes; she isn't really attacking anyone but if her head exploded it could hurt anyone who was in the neighborhood. She used to be one of the "HAZ Women are tough"; now she's one of the "AZH Women are Tough" Exclamation Neat lady and, like all AZH women, a lot of fun to hike with...if you can keep up Wink
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Hopalong

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
Hopalong, were you having a bad day? I mean, wow, Stan just said he liked it when it was less crowded...I don't believe he attacked anyone...

I didn't say Stan attacked anyone.

ck1 wrote:
Not to be an ass, but, honesty, you can't say that you are sorry to offend when you make such a comment
Yes I can.

ck1 wrote:
...refering to others as loonies tends to offend.
Ya oughta hear my family when I do that. BTW - are we related???? Laughing

ck1 wrote:
"native" means "born in a particular place"...so...Stan...being born here...makes him a native.
Duh.

ck1 wrote:
Let's play nice kids....
Yes teacher - and in that light - I forever beg Stans forgiveness. I think he's a great guy - and I hope you (Stan) know that - because I do. I didn't mean to pick you out specifically like it appears. Thanks Stan for letting me have my opinion.

(I hope these quote thingys work)
Hopalong

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope - those quote things didn't work. HELP - I need a AZH computer class.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I fixed it for ya Kelly....you had the "Disable BBCode in this post" box checked. Smile Also, in your profile, make sure the "Always Allow BBCode" is checked, "Yes".

And it's perfectly alright to pick on Stan; he's definitely deserving Twisted Evil Golfdork has spoken Exclamation
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
Let's play nice kids....

hopalong wrote:
Yes teacher - and in that light - I forever beg Stans forgiveness. I think he's a great guy - and I hope you (Stan) know that - because I do. I didn't mean to pick you out specifically like it appears. Thanks Stan for letting me have my opinion.

No problem Kelly,

I enjoy hiking with you and I really do think everyone has a right to move about and be where they want. I was just defending natives here. I know a bunch of them. In God's eyes there are no natives or colors or ethnic groups or mullet heads or great guys. He sees through our vails right to the spirit of who we are. Thanks for the post.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hopalong wrote:
Ya oughta hear my family when I do that. BTW - are we related???? Laughing

Um...no. Sweat
Very Happy

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

And it's perfectly alright to pick on Stan; he's definitely deserving Golfdork has spoken

Some are more deserving than others... Twisted Evil

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
overrocked

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I first moved here from MI several years ago, I really was pissed off about the gas powered blowers at the apartment complexes. But since then I own 2 homes now one in the city and one in the country, I really count my blessings. My middle class job has also provided the money for my Jeep Shades Just got my five year gold coin for working at a semiconductor factory. (and i have internet access at work) Laughing Does anybody else here really enjoy the drive from Phoenix to PV(prescott valley) or is it just me? I love Arizona, and when the city gets to be too much, I'll leave. But for now, its back to the grind of making $$$$

[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: