ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Why I live in Arizona
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desert dweller

PostPosted: 1/26/2003, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Why I live in Arizona Reply to topic Reply with quote

The high temperature made it to 80 F at my house, in Tucson, this afternoon. The forecast for the rest of the week will be similar. This morning I went on the roof and turned off the pilot light on the heater and cut the power. I will probably not need it again for a few weeks. Jokingly, I called my parents in central Florida and told them that I'm not coming to see them because it was too cold there.

One night last weekend, while most of the country was shivering, I was doing a full moon hike deep in to the Dragoon Mountains where Cochise had a last stronghold. The next day I did a day hike, at 8000', in shorts and short sleeves on southern slopes, five miles from Mexico. Patches of snow were still in the shade.

The desert is beautiful.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 1/27/2003, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have not used the heater at all this year... Im here for the same reasons, the warmth and the mountians.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/27/2003, 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm here for the high quality elected officials, the superb professional football team, the backup free highways, the clear views from downtown, the crime free neighborhoods and Arizona's high marks for education....oh...wait Embarassed Embarassed ...I mean...

I'm here for the wonderful environment and to-die-for weather! Laughing Laughing Razz Very Happy

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm here for the high quality elected officials, the superb professional football team, the backup free highways, the clear views from downtown, the crime free neighborhoods and Arizona's high marks for education....oh...wait

As pathetic as it sounds - I bet there aren't too many large cities in the USA who can't lay claim to all of those criteria (except for the football team - at least some cities have a decent team - but we did win the world series)

Myself - I like the 'nice' weather, but I still root for a little bit of a winter now and again. Just as a break from the constant 'warm' weather. Summer of course makes me want to shoot myself...

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Think it's pretty well known I moved here for the golf Crazy Yeah, that game I haven't played in about six months 'cause I got mixed up with a bad crowd of hikers Eek
Love the heat; don't miss winter at all; just wish I could get all the 49'r and A's games on TV Crying or Very sad
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My parents moved me here because their are no trees in the desert to build a raft or a river to float down on. When I grew up along the Mississippi River in Illinois I constructed rafts and floated down the river only to get in troube by the Coast Guard and the Corps of Engineers
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
I'm here for the high quality elected officials, the superb professional football team, the backup free highways, the clear views from downtown, the crime free neighborhoods and Arizona's high marks for education....oh...wait Embarassed Embarassed ...I mean...

I'm here for the wonderful environment and to-die-for weather! Laughing Laughing Razz Very Happy

We used to have quality air here until the multitudes moved in. I kinda liked it as a dumb ass hick place; when it wasn't so crowded.

I was born here. My mother was born here. My grandmother was born here when it was a territory. I guess I'm just too stupid to be anywhere else.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 10:00 pm    Post subject: why we moved here and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I moved here so that someday I could put up a website that some really cool people interested in hiking could frequent and make lifelong friends.

GTG
ck1

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
ck1 wrote:

We used to have quality air here until the multitudes moved in. I kinda liked it as a dumb ass hick place; when it wasn't so crowded.

I was born here. My mother was born here. My grandmother was born here when it was a territory. I guess I'm just too stupid to be anywhere else.

Sure, you might be too stupid (you aren't), but you've lived your life in one of the beautiful places on earth!

maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Me too to all of that. One side of the family has been here since the 1880s (Mesa and Flagstaff) and the other since just after the turn of the century (Winslow and Flagstaff). I am so very grateful to them for coming here because I am the sort of person that would have stayed wherever I was born. The whole world is filling up with people--we should not be surprised that Arizona is filling up too.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Maryphyl...I think I remember you mentioning (at the old site not to be mentioned)...a book about the Babbitts (Bruce)...am I right?

mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember that, too.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Think Maryphyl's related to the Babbits
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
Hopalong

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Aaarrrgghhhhh..............you guys are really testing me!!!!!! I cannot stand it when locals go on and on about how long they've been planted in one spot. GOOODY FOR YOU!!!!!

FORTUNATELY for me my great-great-grandparents were wanderers who crossed an ocean on a piece of sh_ _ ship, then trekked from NYC to Salt Lake City with a bunch of other loonies. Then the great grandparents trekked on further to Idaho, the next generation went to Calif. and the parents went to Alaska. Obviously - I came here? And guess what, my kids don't like it here so I'll assume at some point -they'll be leaving. There, that should make you natives happy. I sometimes wonder if it wasn't those locals that settled here in the 1800's, who had 3 wives and 30 children aren't to blame for the congestion.

So what exactly are you saying - I shouldn't have come here???? Why not? I'm a free, god-loving, tax-paying American. Thankfully, no matter how natives feel, we all can go wherever we want.

Also, in Alaska, you don't call yourself a native unless your skin is brown, even if your grandma is buried in permafrost.

I'll tell you what, living and wandering around this country has given me a pride in America that inspires me. I've been to almost every state and can't wait to get to the ones I haven't.

Sorry for the rant, sorry to offend, it isn't my intention. My intention is just to let local natives know that there are two sides to this story.

One more thing....I love this place - probably more than a lot of natives.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi Kelly....like your new avatar Ok And glad to see AZH women are tough too Agree
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: