ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Newbie looking for ways to get ready for hike
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
paintninaz

PostPosted: 5/14/2004, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
BTW....there's no such thing as humiliation when it comes to hiking! Smile

I think there are MANY here who will attest to that!!! Shades Yep, it's a swimmer! Goat Pink Jeep wave Skier Girl Beam me up Artist at Work

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
jandha

PostPosted: 5/15/2004, 8:15 am    Post subject: Wow Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses. I have tried on a semi regular basis to do the hill off of 7th Ave, but have realized that it is not at all going to get me to my destination which is Cheyava Falls next spring. Because of all of your replys I know have an overwhelming source of info and I am very grateful. I would love to hear from any of you who have hiked this trail.

I will also be checking out the website with the clubs mentioned above and I am already going to my first REI class on Monday. Thanks again!
ck1

PostPosted: 5/15/2004, 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Another good book for the Phoenix area is "Day Hikes and Trail Rides in and Around Phoenix". .

I second that suggestion...I made the mistake of buying several guide books for the area before discovering this gem...it's a great great resource!

As for not wanting to be embarassed or waste your time...with the exception of not being appropriately prepared for the outing, humilation is a relative term when it comes to hiking...some people carry a full pack up Camelback Mtn, other's a waterbottle. Some hike in sandals, others tennis shoes, others full on boots. Some wear the full REI garb, other's gym clothes, while some wear jeans and t-shirts.

I would however, always OVER estimate how much water you'll need.

"The Journey is the Destination"
samiam

PostPosted: 5/15/2004, 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beam me up i think being on this site is a great place to get started,ive alredy learnes a ton with all the posts and trip loggs..I cant wait to get out on my first hike..it will be great to meet new folks and learn again what it's like to be in a wilderness with just the basics..
pfredricks

PostPosted: 5/16/2004, 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:

I would however, always OVER estimate how much water you'll need.

as usual-Great advice!!
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: