ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Gas Prices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the high gas prices affecting your summer plans?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 18 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 36

fairweather8588

PostPosted: 5/14/2004, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

pfredricks wrote:
about 1.10 a liter
so, $4.40 / gallon

thats for the Germans though,
shows you how whinny americans are...

Kerouac
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/14/2004, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Whiiiiiiiiiineeeey?? What do ya Meeeeeeaaan??

Like I say, you only live once. This gas shortage/gouging is just a mere pittance. No big deal. Just gotta get used to it. 'They' have their 'foot in the door' now. What a shame...
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/14/2004, 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

imagine if ya could buy Ta-Kil-ya for $2.25 a gallon! Silly
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
pfredricks

PostPosted: 5/15/2004, 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

you know what????
I gave you that gas figure in Euros-

It is actually then about
1.32/ liter (USD)

or 5.28 per gallon (USD)

Probably why these dangerous little cars are so popular over here.

www.smart.com
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 5/15/2004, 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got an email forwarded from my sister in Ohio - apparently people are planning another one of those "buy no gas days". Actually, this one is called "stick it up their asses" day - the idea is for nobody to buy any gas on May 19th in protest of the prices. It'll never work, but I thought I'd let you guys know just in case you want to participate.
ck1

PostPosted: 5/15/2004, 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bicycle Commutes Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
JW63 wrote:
I bicycle commute as much as possible these days, so I can afford the gas to drive to the TH's. Plus, it's great lo-impact cross-training!

Yeah. But you only live a mile away from work dork. Rolling Eyes

Anyways, I'll bet that 'cartoon car' gets pretty decent mileage.

Shades

OK, that was funny.

"The Journey is the Destination"

PostPosted: 5/16/2004, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No change in plans for this girl. I put my young ones on a plane in the beginning of the summer (ahh.... freedom), then when they get back I'll board one for Colorado.
Daryl

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have relatives that have a big place on the beach in San Diego and have said come on down any time. My original plan this summer was to spend a lot of cheap weekends there (since we are saving for the house we are building).
San Diego is the only place in the country that has more expensive gas then Phoenix... go figure.

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
San Diego is the only place in the country that has more expensive gas then Phoenix... go figure.

Think that goes for all of California. SF Bay area in particular is always .15 to .20 cents higher than Phoenix.....and that's where all the refineries are! Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
This gas shortage/gouging is just a mere pittance...

I actually have to say just a little something about this that most people (including myself until last weekend) don't know about.

When gas prices are higher the gas companies profit margins are lower.

Strange but true. A friend of mine is the guy who sets the price for gas for all of the 76 stations in the Arizona region, and he was complaining just as loud, if not louder, than anyone I've heard. He's downright peeved at the high price of gas. According to him, when gas prices are higher, people buy less, so the gas companies lower their margin as far as they can to try and keep the increase as low as possible for the end user - so that people still buy gas (a lesson learned from the gas crunch of the 70's). If they kept the margin high then people would buy much less and their profits would go way down. By lowering the margin at they can manage a little less of a hit in their overall profits.

But, hey, they're $multi-billion companies, so how much sympathy can you have for them? All I'm saying is that it isn't really their fault that the prices are high. Not that it matters for you and I anyway we're still paying more than we'd like - I just thought it was an interesting bit of knowledge.

Now, if you're talking about the gouging being done by OPEC producers, that's an entirely different story. My dad worked for the largest oil producing company in the world during the gas crunch of the 70's (and we were living in Saudi Arabia at the time) - and as we all realize now, there was no shortage or crunch - the OPEC nations simply turned off the valve to prove a point. They're probably doing the same now.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Uhhhh-huh. Is THAT what he told you now... he's down at the retailer level. Yeah, they're going to feel it. I think he knows a little more than he's willing to fess up with.

How come I keep hearing our gas surplus isn't at risk. Where are the high prices coming from?
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are a number of reasons with global demand being the biggest. China's economy is growing at a massive rate which means people there are turning in their bikes for cars and their heavy industry has increased it's use. China accounted for 7% of the world's oil consumption last year. Doesn't sound like much but with other emerging countries demand for oil going up that percentage grows. Turmoil in the middle east has a lot to do with it also. With the Iraq pipelines getting blown up all the time and terrorist attacks in Saudi Arabia there is fear priced into oil prices. Here everyone likes big pick-ups and SUV's including me, so we burn much more gas than we should. Another thing that may be happening is that there isn't as much oil left as thought and it has been a while since any new major oil fields have been discovered. Royal Dutch Shell, one of the biggest oil companies came out earlier in the year and said that they don't have the amount of reserve oil that they thought they had. Finally OPEC cut back their production in April to fleece us. What can we do; BEND OVER or buy more fuel efficient cars. If it makes you feel better buy gas from either Conoco/Phillips 66 or Citco as of last year they sell no Middle East gas. The Department of Energy keeps track of that if you want to check their website.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HONG KONG Hong Kong $5.45
UK London $5.23
NETHERLANDS Amsterdam $5.16
FRANCE Paris $4.95
SWEDEN Stockholm $4.58
GERMANY Hamburg $4.53
JAPAN Tokyo $4.25
IRELAND Cork $3.60
SPAIN Madrid $3.59
SLOVENIA Ljubljana $3.58
INDIA Bangalore $3.18
BRAZIL Brasilia $2.81
AUSTRALIA DARWIN $2.75
CUBA Havana $2.56
NICARAGUA Managua $2.36
VIETNAM Hanoi $1.29
UZBEKISTAN Tashkent $1.01
KUWAIT Kuwait City $0.69
EGYPT Cairo $0.55
VENEZUELA Caracas $0.14

found this online shows the price per gallon in other countries (in US$)

Kerouac
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's a classic Mike!!! ROFLMAO

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: