ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Camp coffee makers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
grrlscout

PostPosted: 6/23/2004, 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was just cruising the American Science & Surplus website, and came across that lil coffee maker thingie that they sell at REI. But this one is a buck. Sure you have to pay shipping, but I bet you'll find other things you want at SciPlus (especially in the containers section), so that'll make it worth it. At least, that how I rationalize it. Wink

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=6&category=60

And who could live without a telescoping fork that rotates your marshmallow with the push of a button??

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=8&category=89
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 6/23/2004, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

THANKS!
Checked the link http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=9055&cartLogFrom=Search , and they say that they're TWO for $1.00.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
mike t

PostPosted: 6/23/2004, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've hauled in something similar to this:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=432&parent_category_rn=4500495&vcat=REI_SEARCH
Just ask GTG. They're cheap, don't weigh much (as long as you get aluminum not stainless) and are useful for other tasks around camp. Plus everyone can share hot coffee at the same time and you can consolidate within the group as far as not bringing two of the same thing. Also you can pack alot of other little stuff inside it so it doesn't waste space in your pack. Tough to beat that little 2 for a buck thingy though.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/23/2004, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree, a good cup of coffee is an event. A bad cup of coffee, a tragedy. No cup of coffee, dangerous.

Well said, you are my kinda gal. I need some instant coffee tea bag thingies made by Starbucks instead of Folgers. Laughing
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/29/2004, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I guess I'm just a spoiled girl when it comes to coffee. I like my beans fresh ground, brewed strong and with 1/2 & 1/2. I have a French Press here at home to make espresso but it's made of glass.......not good to take in a pack. So I opted for the REI lexan press and tried it tonight. It was a bit pricey but we're talking about a good cup of java here. Makes GREAT coffee! I'll never pack out the Folgers bags again~~~

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Im just curious, Trish, how much does the REI version cost?

what i do
grrlscout

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="Sande J"]
Quote:
I need some instant coffee tea bag thingies made by Starbucks instead of Folgers. Laughing
Hey ya know ... there's an idea. They sell re-usable fabric sachets at the natural foods stores that intended for loose tea. I may need to do a little coffee experimentation there. Muahahaha! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

grrlscout wrote:
They sell re-usable fabric sachets at the natural foods stores that intended for loose tea. I may need to do a little coffee experimentation there. Muahahaha! Twisted Evil

Actually, Diane tried it already (on our Horton Creek Diva trip)...sad to report, it didn't work too well. Sad

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
grrlscout

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well, poo. I'm happy with my cheapie plastic screened in spoon thing anyhoo.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:
Im just curious, Trish, how much does the REI version cost?

I got the 10 oz one (weighs 5 oz) and it was 15.95....but we're talking great coffee here! They also have a 33oz one that is 19.95.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish, I know you already bought one, but check this out:
www.aabreecoffee.com/bonhugunfren.html
$12.95, no tax, free shipping!

what i do
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike,

That one actually looks kind of nice......but the one from REI comes with an insulated jacket to keep the coffee warm too. And it weighs next to nothing!

Mr. Green

azhiker96

PostPosted: 8/9/2004, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like to keep the weight down. I usually brew coffee in my cooking pot. No filter. Some of the grounds will float and they can be scooped off with a spoon. Most of them sink. Careful pouring will yield a great cup of joe with few chewables. If I'm going even lighter and it's cool out I just pack some chocolate covered coffee beans. Two or three will feed the caffiene habit. 6 or more will get you buzzed. Crazy
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/29/2005, 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: java java java Reply to topic Reply with quote

grrlscout wrote:
That place is pricey! REI has those for $15, both the alum. espresso maker and the french press. (Just put "espresso" in the search box and you'll get several hits)

Now this thingie is something I might use instead of my melita cone. And I already have one that's very similar, but I had been using it to make chai. I see a new use for it in the future!

Cup.pour.ri One-Cup Coffee Steeper
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=203977&parent_category_rn=4500495

So has any one tried this puppy? I got one the other day and haven't tried it yet. I am really looking for something to take on the trail for decent coffee.

I have taken the singles flavored creamers with me and have found them squishy and wet in the zip lock I carried them in by the time I dug them out of my pack, I am going with the powdered flavored creamer this next time and see how that goes.

Any feed back on the steeper?

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/29/2005, 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1/2 OZ ? -- Just take instant coffee -- give you the buzz you crave!

1/2 OZ instant coffee Shocked Jumping Multi Hiking
You can take those flavored instant coffee too -- seem to work. Personal preference is coffee pods ( Usually Starbucks but I am open to the esspresso pods -- smaller and less packing). If you are in camp -- you can dry the used pods out and save some weight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: