ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Site developments ahead possibly
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> ** Announcements ** Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 5/6/2004, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Site developments ahead possibly Reply to topic Reply with quote

Almost a year and a half ago when we started this website, we’ve been upfront and public about everything in the development the ArizonaHikers.com community. That would include everything from the domain name, how the site would be set up, where the site would be set up, who the organizers were, costs involved, and what you were to expect from the site as it developed.

As you may or may not know, my company, Gartman Technical Services, has hosted the site since its inception. In that time we’ve doubled the server memory, increased the site bandwidth usage from around 300 MB per month to over 7 GB per month, with the month of March being our busiest month to date at 11 GB. The site currently uses over 350 MB of space. We have published over 17,000 posts and gained over 330 members. http://www.ArizonaHikers.com is by far our busiest site on the server. This site, because of our members’ contributions has grown into the premier online community for discussion of hiking and hiking related activities in Arizona.

As some of you have observed lately, our resident graphic artist kurthzone http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5 has been kind enough to create t-shirts in commemoration of earlier Epic hikes some of us participated in. These t-shirts were made available through an online storefront site called Café Press.
http://www.cafeshops.com/kurthzone
http://www.cafeshops.com/ridgelinehike.11050548

kurthzone has suggested to us, as we have discussed on the site previously to start our own Café Press site for www.ArizonaHikers.com . Through this ArizonaHikers.com Café Press site, we would be able to offer you assorted items such as hats, stickers, shirts, thongs, tattoos, bandannas and other various items. The interested party would be buying items through a secure site residing solely on Café Press SSL servers. As a result of sales, part of the sale price would be deposited into an account paid directly to my company. These payments would be split and used to fund ongoing server upgrades and maintenance as well as funding site related functions such as anniversary get-togethers, free site related items and the like or who knows what y’all will suggest. A year end a report for the account will be made upon anyone’s request.

Understand that we’re not trying to make money here at all. Ask anyone that’s gotten a free sticker, cold beer, Mountain Dew or license plate frame out of me in the last three years. I’m still getting another batch of free stickers made up soon so those will be available soon. Through Café Press and possibly other online storefronts we’ll be able to offer a better quality, more interesting product for our members.

So now we present this to you, our members. Do you think this is a good idea? Is it a way for Mike to pay his traffic tickets received in a national park recently? Let us know. You may post here, PM or email Mike or myself directly with your ideas on this matter. Your prompt reply to this topic will help in the further development and continuation of our great online community.

Thanks,
Mike and GTG
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 5/6/2004, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mikey got a ticket???? I thought I had a lock on that......Fess up.....how fast???

PS- go fer it.....lotsa stuff, make some money to pay server expenses. Link to amazon too. you get commissions on all sales that portal to amazon thru your site. (I have been their man of the year several times....I know how that "one click purchase" stuff works) -Consumerman
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/6/2004, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I give a whole-hearted YES. Sounds like a good plan GTG.

We sure would know who has the most 'stock' in AZH by the amount of 'doo-dads' one has. Wink

You all have been carrying this site long enough I'd say. But that's just my opinion.

Shades
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 5/6/2004, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Excellent guys! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yo, GtG and Mike, I'll donate my time. Lemme know.
AK

PostPosted: 5/7/2004, 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good idea. Go for it.

"Can't think of a good signature quote". - Me
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 5/7/2004, 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As I mentioned to GTG earlier, and I don't think he mentioned above, the two designs for hikes that I have done to date are the last that I will be doing from my own Cafeshops. From this point on any art that I do for ArizonaHikers.com will be donated, just as it has previous to the first two Epic T's.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/7/2004, 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great idea. I fully support it.

Also - have you considered creating a AZH Paypal or Amazon tip-jar account? Provide a link right below the logo with an explanation that any donations will be used strictly for providing upgrades to the server, paying for bandwidth, or providing some promotional items at events.

And if we get really generous - perhaps list a charity or fund that any excess funds would be donated to at years end.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/7/2004, 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds good to me!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 5/7/2004, 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agree Beer I think it is a great idea. Anyone that knows you is aware that you are a very generous and caring person, always looking out for and taking care of the rest of us. You are a good soul. I would be glad to help support this site anyway I can, and appreciate all you guys have done.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 5/7/2004, 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Site developments ahead possibly Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great idea!!!

GTG wrote:
Through this ArizonaHikers.com Café Press site, we would be able to offer you assorted items such as hats, stickers, shirts, thongs, tattoos, bandannas and other various items.

Hmmmm...time to redo the wardrobe? Chin Scratching

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/7/2004, 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

And if we get really generous - perhaps list a charity or fund that any excess funds would be donated to at years end.

I mentioned this same idea to Todd, glad you brought it up!
plummer150

PostPosted: 5/7/2004, 7:09 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go for it! Sounds like a great idea!
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/7/2004, 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All of the above! Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
chihiggs

PostPosted: 5/7/2004, 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This sounds like a rather fiscally responsible decision.... Yes

I am Mike Higgins and I approve this message..... Very Happy
Hnak

PostPosted: 5/7/2004, 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A most excellent idea.... Agree
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> ** Announcements ** All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: