ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Jet Boil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 8:30 am    Post subject: Jet Boil Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is an interesting new product - the Jet Boil.

I'm not sure about the practicality of this for backpacking - but still, the increase in efficiency for fuel consumption has to be recognized.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love the idea of this stove for longer backpacks - especially the koozie that is part of the pot.
Fuel weight savings vs. Add'l stove weight (over other backpacking canister stoves) ( Jetboil's weight states 12oz., but I have heard that it is more like 14-15 without fuel) starts to come together at about a 5 day trip...
(To boil a quart of water takes about 1/4 oz. of fuel (Jetboil), most canister stoves use 1/2 oz. or a bit more to do the same.)
Also, when not using their pot, (say you want to use a skillet (think FRESH TROUT)...or need a larger pot.) you are out of luck.
$80.00 isn't out-of-the-question, but IS somewhat steep. One does get a pot, koozie and stove for that, though...

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can improve you fuel performace quite a bit by using a lighweight windscreen or building one out of rocks & such (ofcourse making sure you dismantle & disperse the rocks etc).

This one is a toss up -- We should get some arizonahikers testers to check this out Exclamation
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

You can improve you fuel performace quite a bit by using a lighweight windscreen or building one out of rocks & such

Yes, I've done that for years - and it works much better than just the burner out in the open.

But the Jet-burner can realize a 40 - 50% improvement in boil times! That is just remarkable.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The insulation thing has me thinking. I carry a Snowpeak 1400 ti pot and lid to cook for two. The Snowpeak stove itself weighs little and the pot not much either, but if it were insulated on the sides and lid, it would boil faster. Screening from the wind is always good.

I think extended forays with only one person, then that Jet Boil would look good.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 4/8/2004, 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I made a koozie for my pot (to keep the food inside warm AFTER cooking) using the foam from an old closed cell foam pad & silicone (if you get gung-ho, you can use heavy duty aluminum foil insidethe koozie.
Or make it from foil-backed insulation - a.k.a. radiant barrier (See Home Depot/Lowe's). If you are manually challenged, these guys make them for you - www.antigravitygear.com
One advantage to the insulation is that if there is a recipe calling for 7 minute simmer, just bring the water to a boil, then take the pot from the stove, into the koozie, and 10 minutes later you're good-to-go - THERE is your simmer.

A nice windscreen can be made from sheet aluminum flashing.. (Home Depot/Lowe's), or using a donor disposable oven pan or a small coffee can cut down. Of course it's always lighter to use what-have-you at the camp to help block the wind

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 4/8/2004, 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice contraption there - how well does it store for packing? Do you roll up the aluminum, or do you fold it?

It looks pretty sweet - I'm just wondering how convenient and durable it is.

- Abraham Lincoln
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 4/8/2004, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As I'm a stickler for weight, so I just put it inside the 14" cast iron Dutch Oven that I always take along.. Chuckle

In the photo, on the post above, you'll notice that the top cylindrical section has a vertical seam/joint and the top and base are mated with a seam, as well.
Here are some seam options.....

For MY pot (if you make the screen a bit shorter than your pot), you can just invert it, and if the base is not too oversized, it will (snugly) fit inside your pot after making a small fold in the cylinder near the handle cut out.
You would, of course, put your stove, matches, or what-have-you inside the pot prior.
If one takes it apart each time, it only takes a couple of minutes to reconfigure it, but I generally leave it intact..

Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 4/8/2004, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

14" cast iron Dutch Oven that I always take along..

Wimp.

Go with the 17" - that way you can cook more biscuts for dinner. Mr. Green

- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/8/2004, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:

biscuts

BISCUTS Question Question Question Question Rolling Eyes Sheesh....Phd in training Embarassed
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/9/2004, 12:11 am    Post subject: biscuits and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Go with the 17" - that way you can cook more biscuts for dinner.

Sounds like that boy is from Alabama.

GTG
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 4/9/2004, 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Daddee wrote:
biscuts

BISCUTS Question Question Question Question Rolling Eyes Sheesh....Phd in training Embarassed

Sheesh - one lousy mistype!

Also, it's a Masters in training, PhD. (in progress) in Ed. Psych.

And furthermore, there is no better breakfast on earth than biscuits and sausage gravy.

And homemade biscuits with a nice beef stew for dinner is about as good as it gets.

And, yes - I have done just that on a backpacking trip before. I had another insane dude to help me carry the second dutch oven for the biscuts and I had one for the stew. It was great. I spent the next week cleaning the soot out of my gear, but it was worth it.

- Abraham Lincoln
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 4/9/2004, 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You wanna bake some good biscuts Mr. Green out there, you need one of These. They work awesome. I used a similar model a long time ago while running white water to bake cakes out there. Canoe camping is great. This one folds so you can take it anywhere.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 4/9/2004, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The "Outback Oven" is pretty light and works great!
Think: pizza, cake, brownies, etc.

See here for the ultralight model (9.5 oz.)(uses your existing pan) http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/BP1800

This one weighs more, but it uses THEIR pan/lid >>
8 in. - 19.5 ozs
10 in. - 26 ozs
12 in. - 43 ozs
http://www.outbackgear.com/product/OUTB1

re. biscuits/gravy (my personal favorite)see: http://redrockstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=bisgravy&Category_Code=Cache+Lake

Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 4/9/2004, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've used the Outback Oven and a reflector oven before - they're both really outstanding. Although, both methods of baking take a little practice to be able to make something really special. The Outback Oven particularly can be difficult if you don't have a really good stove.

I like that reflector oven Glenn - the fold up capacity is nice. I may have to consider getting one. Very cool.

- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: