ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ring Tailed Cat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 4/6/2004, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Ring Tailed Cat Reply to topic Reply with quote

Someone had recently put up a pic of the ring tailed cat. I've been searching for the pic and can't seem to find it. Can anyone help me out? I want to show this pic to my dad. Mary
paintninaz

PostPosted: 4/6/2004, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

this one?

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 4/6/2004, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yep, thank you!!! Mary
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/6/2004, 10:26 pm    Post subject: ringtails and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you want to see one up close here locally, then be at the top of Piestewa Peak at sundown. Sit facing the north and wait. Don't feed them though.

GTG
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 4/6/2004, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Flatiron is another good place to see one.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I backpacked to the Flatiron, that is where I first saw one. They are such pests, very clever and some what aggressive. They almost remind me of a Gremlin. Mary
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmmm...., there's nothing like the scene of waking up in the midddle of the night in the bottom of the Grand Canyon and finding GTG in his underwear battling one of these aggressive beasts. Seems the beast had found some treats in the Lawnmower Man's* pack and he wasn't going to surrender.

*This guy was a student at Embry Riddle and did not listen to any instructions regarding taking the treats out of your pack and puting them into the metal boxes that are in the camps for the very purpose of keeping food from the Ringtails. As for the Lawnmower name...... Maybe GTG will tell this story at the Chili Shindig.
ghoster

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a question, are these really felines? I have seen them up close, and they seem to be more of a weasel, or ferret type of animal. Plus don't they usually travel in pairs?
paintninaz

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope they're not felines, they're part of the raccoon family, and are solitary animals...except during mating season.

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No- they are not feline. From what I understand they are most closely related to the raccoon (or in that family anyway).

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One night in the Maze in Canyonlands at Dollhouse 1 car camp I had a visitor who got into my closed up Jeep and into my trash. The noise woke me at 2:00 am in the tent. I opened the door and he/she was so busy in the bag didn't hear me. I just couldn't resist giving that fuzzy stiped tail a pull and jumped back. You would have thought a pinball went off inside the Jeep.
I had to lock up the garbage in the back inside a metal box; I had no trouble after that.
Thats' another hazard of a canvas top Jeep- can't seal it all that well.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 9:40 pm    Post subject: ring tails and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've had numerous run-ins with the wascaly wingtail. The first time was at Bright Angel Campground on my first trip into the Grand Canyon. He was after things people left in their packs. I gave a 'What Critters Will Go After In Your Pack 101' class to my group. Power Bars, toothpaste, gum, etc. all out and into the ammo box. The second time was again at BAC. The Lawn-mower Man was going to surprise us with Mountain House Blueberry Cheesecake after dinner. I had packed a couple of the same along and we had them instead. Lawnmower Man forgot it in his pack and Mr. Ring tail discovered it around 1:00 AM. Mr. Ring tail and I discussed matters and wrangled a few times. I was trying to shake the bag to get him to run but the cheesecake powder was like high grade cocaine to this furry friend. The whole time I wrangled him it was like battling a sock puppet from inside a backpack. I imagined he would leap out and latch onto my face like the ferret does in the TV commercial or jump out like Rikki Tikki Tavi and latch onto me with his "death to Naga" bite. (If you don't get the Rikki Tikki Tavi reference, inquire within.) The third time was down in Tapeats Canyon on our last night there. This little guy came down a crevice that looked un-scalable, more amazing was his ascent. He didn't stick around long enough to wrangle with.
http://www.desertusa.com/mag01/mar/papr/ringt.html
http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/bassastu.htm
http://www.humboldt.net/~tracker/ringtail.htm

Apparently ring tails were used quite extensively by miners to eradicate mice in and around mining areas, thus giving them the old school nickname "miners cat". I wonder how they kept them out of the miner's foodstuffs.
If you sit at the top of Piestewa Peak as it gets dark, you'll see a small pack of six to ten of the little guys come up and scrounge for all the leftover hiker's tidbits from the day. If you stay fairly still and quiet, they'll come right up to you to make sure you don't have a handout.

GTG
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 4/7/2004, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

These guys were all over our packs in the grand canyon seeing if we forgot to put anything away.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 4/8/2004, 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

first time i was priviledged to see one was on top of Squaw Peak back in '78. We had just moved to Phoenix and I had no idea what weird creatures roamed these parts.
Im curious to know if they are protected, endangered or otherwise illegal to keep as pets?

what i do
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 4/8/2004, 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm curious to know if they are protected, endangered or otherwise illegal to keep as pets?

Nope - no protections on them as far as I know at least not generally - they are pretty common throughout their range. However, they are protected within national park boundaries - as are all other animal species.

They are not regulated as pets either.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: