ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Pima Canyon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
phrankster

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Pima Canyon Reply to topic Reply with quote

Took Pima canyon, National trail through Hidden valley/Fatmans pass, and mormon loop back down this morning. Found a few water pockets still left from the rain in Hidden Valley, things are starting to green up a little bit there. Saw about 5 other hikers, 5 mountain bikers, a covey of quail, 3 rabbits, 1 humming bird, and 2 coyotes. Not really sure how long it took, really didn't care, it was just a nice day for walk up the mountain. Air quality wasn't looking very well in the morning, but by the afternoon it went from brown to kind grey and just a wee bit clearer.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is a nice hike. I haven't been out to South Mountain in a couple of years - too crowded, and too far away - but whenever I do I always enjoy it.
phrankster

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree, it usually is crowded especially on the weekends, Crazy but most people don't go much further than the "rock house", after that the "crowd" thins out quite a bit. But then again, I stay away from there on the weekends anyway, I go on Mondays through Wednesdays ( my weekend ) and for the most part have the place to myself. Mr. Green
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We have been doing the ridgeline that starts at Marco De Niza and parallels the dirt road. Our usual hike takes us along that ridge, down to cross Beverly Canyon trail and back up to the ridge again. Depending on the amount of time we have, we do 1 of 2 things: 1) descend at the rock house, cross over to the Ridgeline Trail and go back to the ramada or 2)continue on the ridgeline to the western entrance to Hidden Valley, go thru Hidden Valley to National and then back to 48th street either on the road or the Ridgeline Trail. The 1st takes about 1 1/2 hours, the other takes about 3. Neither one of these is extremely difficult, just decent short workouts. The only time we really see anyone is on National or the odd times we are on the dirt road. The ridges really seem to thin out the crowd Mr. Green
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you get out to the western part of the park, say from Telegraph Pass west, the crowd really thins out. You can access the National trail from the ramada out there. I've done this end several times, and even on weekends, encountered only a few people. A good route, although it requires a shuttle, is from Telegraph Pass west to the ramada out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: