ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Webber Wildfire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/30/2004, 7:32 am    Post subject: Webber Wildfire Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hope this is not a harbinger of summer. The Payson area has seen so much destruction already. All those beetle damaged trees will go up in a heartbeat! Sad Not a good start for spring.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/30/2004, 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Azcentral.com wrote:
State's 1st big fire of year grows to 700 acres
David J. Cieslak
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 30, 2004 06:30 AM

PINE - Firefighters on Tuesday continued to battle Arizona's first major wildfire of the season, a blaze about six miles northeast of Pine that was threatening a Boy Scout camp.

The state's first major wildfire of the season burned across 700 acres in the Tonto National Forest.

Firefighters Monday were forced to traverse rugged terrain on foot to reach the flames, authorities said.

The "Webber" fire, spotted by officials early Monday, quickly grew throughout the day to become a blaze producing smoke visible from areas in the north Valley. About 170 firefighters were battling the fire on the ground and by air, using slurry-dropping airplanes and helicopters to douse the flames, said Vinnie Picard, public affairs officer for the Tonto National Forest.

Investigators were trying to determine whether a campfire was the source of the blaze, Picard said, adding that lightning has been ruled out as a cause.

By Monday night, the fire was heading north to an uninhabited area away from cabins at the Camp Geronimo Boy Scout camp and other structures, Picard said. No children or counselors were at the camp.

The blaze also caused small fires in the nearby Coconino National Forest on the Mogollon Rim.

Firefighters were lighting small controlled fires ahead of the blaze to destroy fuel and stop the blaze from spreading. The fire was burning in juniper and ponderosa pine forest, with dead trees and brush feeding the flames.

Officials were hoping a large ridge would hold the flames back from the community of Pine.

The Prescott Tanker Base was to open Tuesday to give air tankers a closer station to load flame retardant.

Firefighters were planning to lay containment lines on the southern part of the fire overnight, and additional crews were expected in the area this morning along with an incident management team, Picard said.

The weather was expected to help firefighters today, though Picard said officials were concerned that Wednesday might be windy.

The Associated Press contributed to this article.

Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/30/2004, 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Geeze! I hope it wasn't a camp fire! It drives me crazy when one fool ruins things for all of us! I pray they get it out soon. Last night on the news they said they will probably be fighting it all week.

I want to shine!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/30/2004, 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I camped at Verde Glen last weekend. While mtn. biking along the Control Road (FR 64) west of Houston Mesa Road there were signs posted regarding controlled burns in progress. Temps. lows were 29 and 28. Worst place for a fire to start is at the base of the rim. While at work in Apache Jct. yesterday I noted the smoke plum at apx. 11am. Looks like it is going to be a very busy season.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/30/2004, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

While camping last weekend, I heard the possibility of forest closures earlier than last year.
Leva

PostPosted: 3/31/2004, 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They were doing controlled burns and logging in the area; either activity could have caused the Webber fire but could also be unrelated.

I have a sinking feeling it's going to be a bad year. We cut firewood near Houston Mesa Rd and the Control in the fall, and cut about a cord of juniper and oak in two stops, never venturing farther than about 100 feet from the truck, and just cutting dead/down wood -- the easy stuff to get to.

The bark beetles are now going after oak and juniper also, BTW, big time. Lots of dead trees.

BTW: last year a firewood permit for oak/juniper was $25 for four cords, and free for ponderosa. Smile You can get fuel for your fireplace and help the enviroment all in one stop ...

Leva
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 3/31/2004, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was talking to a lady from payson yesterday and she told me that they were told that a campfire was most likely responsible for the fire.
mike t

PostPosted: 3/31/2004, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
I was talking to a lady from payson yesterday and she told me that they were told that a campfire was most likely responsible for the fire.

porridge!
AK

PostPosted: 3/31/2004, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This fire really sucks! I just found my new favorite campsite above East Webber Canyon on the rim. Last I saw the fire was headed straight for it. Sad If this was started by a human, they should string them up by the berries!

"Can't think of a good signature quote". - Me
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/31/2004, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I, too grew to love the Rim and grew up camping on the top of it. I have many favorite campsites there and like Aaron, favor the area around Milk Ranch Point and Webber canyon. I was considering an overnight car camp there since I cant make the Reavis trip, and will be paying close attention to details on the Tonto and Coconino forest pages. Sickens me to think of all the fire rings left alive just like the one I found last week at Haunted Canyon, embers still hot and smoldering from the night before but otherwise no signs of human impact. Not that Im contributing the possibility of human error linked to the Webber Fire, just making a point. Crying or Very sad

what i do
AK

PostPosted: 3/31/2004, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well it sounds like the fire was human caused according to the Payson Fire Distrct and 10pm news.

Quote:
Larry Hettinger of the Payson Ranger District said the fire may have been started by an abandoned campfire left over the weekend.

"Can't think of a good signature quote". - Me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: