ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Horse crap
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should riders be expected to clean up and pack out their horse's crap?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 18 ]
No
48%
 48%  [ 18 ]
I'm not sure
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 37

matt gilbert

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope tom, they won't go away.

But hey, if it didn't happen at all, I wouldn't have anything to gripe about would I. Then where would I be?
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 8:17 pm    Post subject: poop and stuff Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought about the whole diaper thing at first, but how cool would some cowboy look on a horse with Pampers? I think I just found a nice job for Hooli. Wink

GTG
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm pretty tired of dodging the "steaming land mines" as I call them while out on many of the trails. And I stepped right into one the other day when I wasn't watching where I was stepping. Fresh stuff too....yuck!

Pooper catchers would be a great thing. But then what would Harley do for entertainment?

Mr. Green

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: poop and stuff Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
I thought about the whole diaper thing at first, but how cool would some cowboy look on a horse with Pampers? I think I just found a nice job for Hooli. Wink

GTG

THAT'S IT!!! Problem solved. Old coot who's retired... has waaay too much time on his hands... no poop on the trail!

Great idea Todd.

Shades
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

stepped in horse crap lately? Here's your sign! Laughing

what i do
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I think I just found a nice job for Hooli.

Now he won't have to complain about hanging out with the working class, he'll be one of us!! Great thinking Todd!!
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 8:53 pm    Post subject: good idea and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

HIG and Mike, I thought at least you two would approve.

Mike, I like your new title. How long you had that?

GTG
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A couple of days. Mr. Green
evenstar

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If I kept all the poopie off the trail you guys would have to find a new passtime. Razz
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I dunno... the poopie on the trail lately has been old, dehydrated, and decrepid.

How exactly would you remove the horse poopie, and yourself, from the trail at the same time Hooligan?? Hmmmm... that would be a trick.

Shades
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
I dunno... the poopie on the trail lately has been old, dehydrated, and decrepid.

How exactly would you remove the horse poopie, and yourself, from the trail at the same time Hooligan?? Hmmmm... that would be a trick.

Shades

I don't know about that old & decrepid poopie. I managed to step into some pretty fresh poopie mixed in with a cholla. Stuck into my boot pretty good. Trekked that pile for a mile. Razz Took a sharp rock and dislodged the cholla and the s*%t.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Grand Canyon corridor trails are the worst for horse and mule poop. It's so mixed in with the soil on the trail, there's no avoiding it. It can take months for the smell to wear off your footwear after a hike there, if it ever does at all!
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
The Grand Canyon corridor trails are the worst for horse and mule poop. It's so mixed in with the soil on the trail, there's no avoiding it. It can take months for the smell to wear off your footwear after a hike there, if it ever does at all!

Now that is just plain GROSS!!
I think that the clean up should be mandatory on this trail.
Does any of this have health risks other than flies hanging around??
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:

Just enough smell to endear you to your hiking buddies!

Mr. Green

Trish

Hnak

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:

There are times in the summer, when puffing uphill one comes across a large, fuming, stinking pool in the trail (when one mule pees, all of them in the mule train decide to also pee in the same place). It's really hard to hold your breath when you're already gasping for oxygen... Embarassed

On the other hand, in the winter, the mule poop can offer a bit of traction on the slippery snow packed areas... Dismayed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: