ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Horse crap
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should riders be expected to clean up and pack out their horse's crap?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 18 ]
No
48%
 48%  [ 18 ]
I'm not sure
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 37

ck1

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 10:10 am    Post subject: Horse crap Reply to topic Reply with quote

How come I'm expected to clean up and pack out my dog's crap when I'm on a trail, but horse riders are not subject to the same expectation...is this fair? What do you think?

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daryl

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I considered posting this question after a few hikes in the past. The horse crowd argument is, the horses don't eat meat and their poo just drys up and blows away (or something like that).

I still think they should clean it up. It makes quite a mess and stink.

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know this is a crazy idea Idea
Butt I mean but isn't there some way they could attach something to the horse to catch this?

Ok with having said that, I'm waiting for all the jokes to start!

Sherileeaz
ck1

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sure is....when was the last time you saw the guy with the shovel and garbage can in a parade? There's a crap catcher.

"The Journey is the Destination"
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Horse diapers... http://www.equisan.com.au/
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, butt what about something that attaches to the horse?
Then again, CK1's post might be a new job for someone? haha!

Wanted: A hiker who is willing to hike behind my horse and get paid by the load full! HEHE!

OK SORRY... I will refrain from making anymore jokes about this thread!

Back to CK1's thread....
Sherileeaz
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Horse diapers... http://www.equisan.com.au/

OK I lied, I can't resist this thread!!

Pink or blue?? haha!
Pullups or fastners!

Butt still you aren't getting my idea yet, I'm thinking a hoop thing that catches the "apples" as they fall.

OK NOW I AM DEFINITELY OUT OF THIS TREAD!!!

Hitching a ride with Susan .................... Skier Girl
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am with the yes crowd! I have wondered that allowed several times.... and I don't even hike with my dog! I don't like coming across a huge pile of horse doo-doo in the middle of the trail! It is offensive. Poop is poop I don't care what it is composed of it is still bodily waste! Pick it up horse people! My friends with the dogs always do!

I want to shine!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

P.S. Sheri, don't think I didn't notice the way you spelled the word but (butt) each time you used it on this thread! Chuckle Moon

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any of the horse and buggy carriage rides in the big cities have a poop catcher rig on them. I'd bet it would take a bit to train a trail horse for that around here.

Too bad the riders around here don't train them to go on the side of the trail, other than right in the friggin middle of it. It does get irritating. BUTT that would cause some trail erosion though. Hmmmmph. Neutral
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah they definitely have poop cathchers for carraige rides in the city. My wife and I took one at Kierland Commons around Christmas time. That horse had one. The crowd waiting in line was intrigued when the horse went pee though. Like they had never seen one before.
-TIM-
Andy

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think they should Pack Out the Poop!

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Any of the horse and buggy carriage rides in the big cities have a poop catcher rig on them. I'd bet it would take a bit to train a trail horse for that around here.

Too bad the riders around here don't train them to go on the side of the trail, other than right in the friggin middle of it. It does get irritating. BUTT that would cause some trail erosion though. Hmmmmph. :|

You seem to be under the impression that horse riders actually train their animals....

God forbid a horse should be able to recognize that a tent poses it no threat, especially in heavy backpacking areas. I think its best to just let them all keep riding. One day those guys are either going to fall off their horses or shoot themselves with all the porridge revolvers they carry (for snakes?) anyway, either way that will be one less rider, and one less pile, for us to worry about.
Suzaz

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm doing some technical research on this issue.....since I'm one of those hiking with a pooping partner.

Back in the olden days I had Harley trained NOT to poop any place except in his own backyard.........(plus his stuff didn't stink)..........but he has become much more spontaneous with the increased influnces of "others". Embarassed

I have been curious about this, too.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/24/2004, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
HikerInGilbert wrote:

Too bad the riders around here don't train them to go on the side of the trail, other than right in the friggin middle of it. It does get irritating. BUTT that would cause some trail erosion though. Hmmmmph. Neutral

You seem to be under the impression that horse riders actually train their animals....

God forbid a horse should be able to recognize that a tent poses it no threat, especially in heavy backpacking areas. I think its best to just let them all keep riding. One day those guys are either going to fall off their horses or shoot themselves with all the porridge revolvers they carry (for snakes?) anyway, either way that will be one less rider, and one less pile, for us to worry about.

Hehehe. That encounter really did a number on you, didn't it Matt? Just chalk it up to another "in the wrong place at the wrong time" trail encounter. Those will never go away I'm sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: