ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Allergy Relief

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Allergy Relief Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tried a lot of things over the counter for allergy relief. Some product work for awhile. I am allergic to everthing and some times I will be sensitive to exposure and other times I will not. Prescriptions will work for a season or two and I am not a good candidate for allergy shots because of this. I am open for suggestions.

Itchy eyes and runny nose, looks like I spent the weekend with a jug of Old Hammerhead, missed my Sunday bike ride (Tour de Cure, Phoenix) last weekend. Still having problems, seeing the dr. later this week for a anti-inflammatory shot.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would recommend a nasal emollient called PONARIS for stuffiness due to allergies. You can get it at any local drugstore although the pharmacist may have to order it for you. It's all natural and made of oils of eucalyptus & peppermint.....works really well for me!

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 3/23/2004, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would suggest taking Claritin (generic available) in the am, and benadryl before retiring in the pm. Benadryl (generic is diphenhydramine) is as good an antihistamine as any of the Rx or non-drowsy OTC formulas, but tends to have a slight soporific effect, especially for the first couple weeks. I would combine that with saline irrigations, the use of a steroidal inhalent such as Flonase, Vacenase AQ or Rhinocort (switch periodically as your system obviously builds resistance quickly). Some people think that heavy doses of vitamin C and B12 help, dunno. If your condition is serious, a shot of something like Kenalog IM (intramuscular, or for the Alabama contingent, "Right in the Bottocks") should give you about 8 weeks of relief. It's ok to use once in a while, a steady diet of cortisone injections is not good, cause your body builds a tolerance for that as well.

Frankly I don't think desensitization shots 2-3 times a week are worth crap, but it does give you a chance to read People Magazine in the doctor's waiting room. Good luck. -R
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The cortisone injections are a last resort usually one a year if that. Mr. Dr. roates the Flonase, Vacenase and the Rhinocort. I actually got some relief with motrin. Benadryl tend to make me sleepy and I can't take it while working, but on my day off I take it. Thnaks for the advise.

PostPosted: 3/25/2004, 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have severe asthma and allergies. I take Singular and it helps both. I also take a natural supplement called Activated Quercetin. It's works in the same way the Singular does. It seems to be helpful for people who don't respond to antihistamines. Source Naturals is an excellent brand.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/27/2004, 9:27 pm    Post subject: allergy "heck" (ok Todd?) Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's where I live, which is why you don't see me on Camelback or Squaw(whatever) Peak much anymore.Every time I try to pace and do my time, I end up with a histamne/migraine/ headache which levels me or a low grade sinus thing. I have tried everything,plus scrips and shots, but nothing can desensitize against particulates,pollution and dust/mold.I have found the most relief with Walitin-D(24 hr) and something called Mucinex(600mg 2x a day) which is basically pure Guiafenisen and as long as I can keep things moist and flowing(Trish-Ponaris is a good thing), I am ok. Also I use a cold air vaporiser nightly. I find if I get too dried out, the infections and irritation will result. The Mucinex has really helped! Smile
k9hiker

PostPosted: 3/29/2004, 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have allergies too and I can say even though I've taken many different drugs for relief the best solution I have found is lots of vit. C like 1500 to 2000 mg. I also take vit. b6 at least 50 mg. I heard Bee pollen can also be helpful but haven't tried that.

Not sure if this would help you nighthiker, since I don't know your gender but the best allergy seasons I have had have been when I have been taking pre-natal vitamins with extra vit c and b6. Thos pre-natals are amazing. I've only been sick once in 3 years of being on these babies.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 4/2/2004, 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just grit it and bear it. The only allergy relief that works for me is the stuff that makes me drowsy. I hate that feeling. It's just better for me to just go through with the allergies. I'll take the stuff only at night.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Kim

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've tried the Quercitine and other natural stuff. I believe in herbs and naturopathy, but I sure haven't had much luck with it in my life. i don't know if u're supposed to take it consistently, but i took it to relieve symptoms and it didn't work. I have to take the stuff that makes me drowsy, too, so if the allergies aren't that bad, i will also grin and bare it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: