ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rim to River to Rim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/20/2003, 9:28 am    Post subject: Rim to River to Rim Reply to topic Reply with quote

This hike is an annual group event, and I was invited to go along. We had rooms at Maswick for Friday and Saturday nights, so logistics were rather simple.

I prefer to go down Bright Angel Trail, but the flock liked S. Kaibab, so I fell in behind them. (baaaaa) We took off at 6:05 by my watch, Hnak tested the trail, and found it slick, so I donned the little snow cleats for the first few hundred yards. Also had a headlamp on for a bit, as it was dark there under the cliff.

The moonlight on the canyon walls is an incredible sight, especially as some views are backlit by the dawn. Very nice effect. Shortly after Skeleton Point just before the trail begins a series of switchbacks, the view of canyon and the full moon to the west, framed by the walls, was worth the trip.

Met the first hiker coming out some where above the tip off, a guy and his young daughter (I assume), she was doing well hiking out. Wish I could interest my kids in this craziness.

Got to Phantom just before 9 for a break, ate a sandwich, drank some Gatorade, and listened to the ranger's spiel on proper strategy for getting back out. A couple where there with some injury, apparently had had some time getting down, and now had to get out. I was doing it all wrong according to the ranger.

The rest of the group started showing up about 9:30, they had stopped at Cedar Ridge for the sunrise. Too cold for me, I had kept moving. Some also took another route from the Tonto the to river, may have to try it some time.

Started back out at 10:00. This was my third trip up that trail. I'd forgotten some of the prettier spots, seems before I was always sucking wind so hard I neglected to look around. Met some co-workers at Indian Gardens, who were coming down, many of them for their first Canyon Experience. Will see tomorrow how they fared. I had been working on getting my mind right for the Bright Angel. I swear that last mile and a half is 3 miles long, seems to take forever. Even with some self-administered coaching, it was a long last mile. I prefer the S. Kaibab because it ends quickly; the BA switches back and forth a few too many times. Finally finished about 2:15, 15 minutes over my goal, but hey, it’s not a race is it?

Shuttling back on the bus took an hour, had to go to Kaibab TH to get my vehicle. The hot shower in the room felt wonderful. The group plan was to meet for dinner at 7, so it was naptime. Dinner was fine, it's cafeteria food, but after 17 miles, who cares. I resisted the cake and ice cream until almost closing, then caved in. It was worth it.

Nice trip, feeling a little sore below the knees today, but overall, not bad.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was looking for this report. Did Hank take the old miner's trail from the tipoff? He took me up that one a couple of years ago--we saw some bighorn sheep batting heads, big noise like gunshots.
Shawn

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I believe he took it down, he mentioned something about it when he came into the cantina at the Ranch. Other's talked a lot about this alternate route, and another one along Pole Creek and the falls. That one sounds interesting. Sounds like the Miner's Route would be one to go down, but owing to some loose talus, maybe not so great to go up.

A couple who went down BA said they saw condors and sheep from the BA trail, but alas, I was not so fortunate. Guess you have to look up once in awhile.

One space left on T-River as of yesterday.
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/27/2003, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, some of the folks went up the 'Miner's Route to the Tonto, and continued up to just below Skeleton Point on the continuation of that route. I went down it last year, and wanted to try something different this year (and I just felt lazy...), so (after gracefully finding the slippery spots near the trailhead.... LOL!) I just wandered down the S.K. to Phantom Ranch, and on the way out the B.A. I took a detour out of Pipe Creek between the old mine tunnel and the falls, and went up the old 'Jacob's Ladder' route. It was washed out completely on the lower hundred feet or so, so it was just scrambling up the steep slope before I got to the trail construction. From there I followed it to where it intersected the current B.A. and then wandered out on the main trail. While sitting at Indian Garden, we saw a couple condors soaring high above. Those are BIG birds! All in all, a great day for a walk in the park.... Hank
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/27/2003, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Bright Angel Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, that hike sounds amazing. I've done the same trail but only 3 miles down. Didn't have enought time to do the whole thing. I'd love to make it the whole way down to the bottom sometime. Any pointers?
Shawn

PostPosted: 1/27/2003, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Train, train, and train. Take care of your knees. The first few times I did this it nearly killed me. Felt good to just keep going on it this time. Felt like the Everready Bunny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: