ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rattlesnake Ramblings from Arizonaheat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/5/2004, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

What happens to the rattlers during a cool period like the one we've been having since the end of last week? Do they go back to hibernation for a few days?

I believe most of them probably went back into their holes, confused as hell.
If they didn't get anything to eat during the first awakening they will be really PO'ed this weekend when they wake back up.

It was nice hiking to Reavis without having to worry about them, especially with all the snake grass going through the meadows in the forest, through the pines.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 4/5/2004, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Something tells me that don't go back into hibernation but probably hang out in warmer/semi-sunny areas(like the middle of the trails)

After my encounter with 2 rattlesnakes on the Terrapin last Tuesday (and then two other snakes on the Dutchman and Peralta)...I'll be on the lookout in the future!

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/5/2004, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Has anyone on this site actually been bitten by a rattlesnake? If so what did you do, how far into a hike were you? My worst fear is getting bit by a snake on hike like the ridgleline or maybe something in the four peaks territory area where your hours to just getting back to the trailhead.

My old roommate got bit on the fingertip of his index finger with one fang, as the snake fell away from him, long story. We were in town, not hiking. His arm swelled up to about the size of his leg it seemed. That's my only encounter ever hopefully.

GTG
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 4/19/2004, 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

TV report the other nite said 13 bits already and profiled 1 guy who spent 3 days in ICU who got bit on the finger. Said it burned really bad and swelled up to the size of a softball. Some pretty serious stuff if they keep you in ICU for 3 days--no mention how many days outside of ICU.

They didn't exactly say but I believe this guy was being stupid when bit.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/25/2004, 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw my 1st rattlesnake on the trial today. It was on Squaw Peak about 200 feet from the trailhead. My cousin actually saw/heard it first. Good job for a Chicagoan. It sounded more like a cat hissing than it did a rattle, or at least we thought so.
grrlscout

PostPosted: 5/3/2004, 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello all. First post here, so please pardon any faux pas.

Pretty much everything was covered. I just wanted to add a couple of things.

- Generally a crew has to be on scene for helicopter ops in order to create a landing zone.

- If it will be a while before you can get medical attention. You should keep the patient still and calm, and if possible the affected area slightly below the heart.

You can also put a restricting band between the bite site and the heart. It should be tight enough to slow the spread of venom, but not so tight as to cut off all circulation. Once it's on, leave it on until medical intervention is available.

Generally, the idea is to slow down the spread of the venom. So you don't want the victim panicking, running around, and just plain freaking out, as that would get his or her heart rate elevated, and the blood carrying the poison spreading all the faster.

- I'm told the area with the densest snake population in AZ is around Montezuma Well. On average, at any given moment, there's a snake within 2 feet of you.

Oh, one more thing! Friday I was fooling around at this site called eNature.com . It's by the National Wildlife Federation. You can put in your zip and it produces photos and info on all the critters and plants in your area. -- they're called ZipGuides.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 5/3/2004, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome grrlscout.

Great link, thanks for sharing it

http://www.enature.com/
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/3/2004, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Has anyone on this site actually been bitten by a rattlesnake? If so what did you do, how far into a hike were you?

My dad was bitten by a huge Western Diamondback (They killed it and took it to the hospital with them and he says the medical staff listed the snake at nearly 7' long) while dove hunting when he was about 22 yrs old. He was about 2 hours away from a hospital. He walked back to their car and then his buddy drove like a bat out of hell to get to the hospital. He was in the hospital for a few days.

He still has the rattle (and it is one of the biggest I've ever seen) and two little pits in the side of his leg where the venom was injected and ate away his skin/muscle.

He says the actual bite didn't hurt a bit - he almost didn't notice it, but that the subsequent pain was impressive.

He does not recommend the experience to anyone.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 5/3/2004, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"He does not recommend the experience to anyone."

Understatement of the year Daddee.... Shocked
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/3/2004, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A fellow at work was bitten so we got to learn more than we wanted to know about the ordeal. I knew it was an unpleasant experience, but what grossed me out was what you mention about the flesh dying. He waited in the hospital for a few days to see how much of his finger was going to die, so they could cut it out before he went home.

Yuck!
Belinda

PostPosted: 6/7/2004, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Rattlesnakes Reply to topic Reply with quote

Personally I think rattlesnakes are beautiful and it is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to fear them.

That said, if you accidentally step on one all of the information below applies.

But I have met at least 30 rattlesnakes while backpacking and have never been bitten by one (nor do I know of anyone who has been bitten by one, despite trodding Thousands of miles in Arizona's backcountry) so I wonder how can this happen???

Please be aware and remember we are trodding on Their territory when we enter the backcountry and it is vital we respect these creatures and their natural habitat.

Peace
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/30/2006, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So I saw a rattle coming down off of Camelback tonight, but can't seem to find out what kind it was.

It was red/brownish/maroon in color with tan stripes going around it. I looked at the www.reptilesofaz.com website but couldn't seem to see anything even close to it.

It was definitely a rattler though, gave a good warning to us, Emma wasn't even phased by the sound of it though. Might just need to get her snake trained yet.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 4/30/2006, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Stripes, eh? My money is on the tiger rattlesnake. See if any of these look close:

http://www.arizonensis.org/sonoran/fieldguide/vertibrata/crotalus_tigris.html

http://www.enature.com/flashcard/show_flash_card.asp?recordNumber=AR0202

http://www.wildnaturephotos.com/WNP/Sets/RattlesnakeID/html/snake_c.htm
Suz

PostPosted: 4/30/2006, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

While I wasn't on THAT trail to see it---- I think you nailed it Mike....that matches his description perfectly. Pretty little thang.

Tracy, Diane and I had our own snake encounter coming down Echo. Thankfully, we were able to protect several other hikers with our quick thinking. Rolling Eyes
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/30/2006, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah Mike I think you nailed it. It was a little guy so I bet his colors will still be changing, but between the 1st and 2nd link there that would be him. Definitely had a loud rattle on him thankfully!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: