ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rattlesnake Ramblings from Arizonaheat
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Rattlesnake Ramblings from Arizonaheat Reply to topic Reply with quote

As the temperatures begin to warm it is time to be on the look out for Rattlesnakes once again. (Buzzwormicum Rattleticulus)
CK1 has already written a great article on rattlesnakes. Personally I’m not crazy about snakes, but due to the amount of time I spend wandering the Supes, a lot of times off trail and alone, I thought it would be wise to educate myself on the so called BUZZWORM! What I’ve learned has made me a lot more comfortable around these creatures. I highly respect them and would never ever harm one. It is the intention of this article to pass along some of what I’ve learned from the likes of Tom Kollenborn ( I call him King of the Supes) he probably knows more about the Supes than any other living person and Jude McNally who is the resident venomous creature expert for the Arizona Poison Control Center. I also will try to include pictures of the various species most likely encountered in our area.

Depending on the source there are between 11 and 17 different species and sub-species of rattlesnakes in Arizona. Six different species reside in our area. They include the Western Diamondback (most common),
Mohave (most poisonous), Arizonablack, Blacktailed, Sidewinder and the Tiger rattlesnake.

Rattlesnakes are known as pit vipers and have several distinguishing features. They have a triangular shaped head , rattles on the tail, elliptical shaped pupils, a pit organ near the nostril and the species in our area all have rings around their tails just above the rattles. Rings on the Western Diamondback are usually black and white and easy to distinguish, while those on the Arizona Black are difficult to distinguish. Occasionally a rattlesnake will loose it's rattles making identification more difficult. (Rattlesnakes usually add a new rattle every time they shed their skin)

The pit organ that is located by the nostril opening is essentially a heat seeking mechanism that allows the rattlesnake to see. They have very poor eyesight and depend on this heat seeking mechanism to detect prey. It is said that they can detect temperature variations up to 100 feet away.

The fangs of the rattlesnake are designed much like a hypodermic needle and are very effective at injecting venom into their prey making them very successful predators. Small rodents make up the majority of their diet.

Rattlesnakes are cold blooded (ectothermic) vertebrates, meaning they are unable to regulate their body temperature on their own and rely on the environment in order to function. Rattlesnakes are able to function (minimally) between 72 –78 degrees. They have been known to come out of hibernation at 78 degrees.( They usually hibernate underground, in caves or old mine shafts, so be aware when entering these types of areas in the winter months and summer months as they seek shade) The temperature range in which rattlesnakes move about and hunt is 82 –96. This is known as their effective temperature. Direct sunlight will kill a rattlesnake in 10 – 15 minutes. (This means they hang out in shady areas i.e. under rocks, trees, bushes, grass, any place that protects them from direct sunlight.)
Since rattlesnakes can begin to function at 72 you could basically assume you could encounter one 12 months out of the year, but rattlesnakes are most commonly sighted from the beginning of April to the middle of October, again this all depends on the weather. Just be aware of their temperature ranges and use appropriate precautions. With the 90 degree temps we had earlier this week you can be assured they were moving about.

Rattlesnakes are considered to be nocturnal animals doing most of their hunting at night. The most active periods for rattlesnakes are the hours right after sundown and the hours right before sunrise. Be cautious during these times. It is estimated that 72% of bites occur in the time from ½ hour before sundown to 2 hours after sundown.

A few other facts, it is said a rattlesnake can strike a distance equal to one third to one half its body length. 80% of all bites are a result of carelessness or handling the rattlesnake, only 20 % of bites are accidental or legitimate bites. 15% of bites are dry socket bites ( no venom injected)

How can you tell if you have actually been bitten and venom has been injected? There will be fang marks, either one, two or maybe just a scratch. A burning sensation usually follows the injection of venom. Often you will experience a metallic rubbery taste in the mouth, but not always. Numbness or tingling of the tongue may also occur. Swelling will usually occur around the bite area within 10 minutes, the more severe the swelling the more venom that was probably injected. Nausea and weakness may occur. Discoloration will occur around the bite site within three to six hours, usually black and blue in color. Every snake bite victim should be treated for shock, shock is a bigger killer than the venom.

When hiking during snake season use extreme caution. I swear by trekking poles as they are great snake detectors, you can tap them against rocks and boulders before taking that step, probe grassy and brushy areas before entering, tap overhangs and hand holds before climbing etc.

Remember rattlesnakes are un-aggressive by nature and have no interest in confronting humans unless provoked or threatened. If they won’t move off the trail don’t throw rocks or poke at it, go around, your visiting their home.

Here are some pics

Western Diamondback by far the most common in our area. It is said you will see 15 Western Diamondbacks to every 1 Mojave

Mojave, the most venomous, with venom 20 times more toxic than that of the Western Diamondback. Unlike other rattlesnakes it’s venom is a neurotoxin and can be deadly. Can take on a greenish color and can be found hanging out in the tops of Palo Verde Trees, on top of cactus or other flora waiting for a bird to come by. That means you have to be looking in the air as well as on the ground.

Arizonablack

Blacktail

Sidewinder, recognized by the horn like protrusions above it’s eyes and the way it moves along the ground

Tiger

I hope you found this article somewhat informative

Arizonaheat Beam me up Beam me up Beam me up
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great article Kent.........very informative.........thanks for sharing it. I'm always on the lookout for snakes since I don't like them much either.

Mr. Green
Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Trish, since I'm on call and can't hike thought I would try to do something half way productive. Very Happy Very Happy Beats sitting here pouting and feeling sorry for my self Laughing Laughing Beam me up Beam me up
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very informative Kent, this is only my second summer in Arizona so I'm new to the whole snake thing too.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great information Kent, thanks for sharing this. The Mohave Rattler is the one that really scares me. Although on my hike up the Hiro to Ridgeline I got poked, pricked, scratched, felt like a pin cushion. After getting stung so many timed by cacti cat claw etc. I wouldn't have known if it was a snake or just brush until of course it would have swelled up. Now I have a question are your pictures taken from actual snake encounters you had?

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
It is estimated that 72% of bites occur in the time from ½ hour before sundown to 2 hours after sundown.
Another reason I don't like hiking in the dark. Crazy

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
evenstar

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kent, what's your opinion of the Sawyer Extractor? Worthwhile or not?
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Arizonaheat, I've spent alot of time reading up on these creepy crawlers and must say that's the most comprehensive article that I've read. I definately learned some new stuff about them and will be looking up into the Palo Verde tree's from now on. Once again thanks.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 5:13 pm    Post subject: burning and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just remember that if there is venom injected, there will be a burning sensation like fire. Dry bite or not, get medical attention immediately. Also remove any rings, watches, bracelets handcuffs etc. The limb injected can swell up to three or four times it's original size.

GTG
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have seen black ones, brown ones and yellow ones. One was extremely agressive. Most were not wanting anything to do with me and one ignored me and kept on hunting in every crack it came to. I watched it from a distance for some time. I know a girl who was bitten but it was a dry bite. I almost stepped on one sleeping in the middle of the trail. It was curled and never woke up as I gently tip toed around it and went about my way.

I don't want to step on one while bushwhacking but other than that they mostly bite people messing with them. I dont' have a telephoto lens so I go my way and let them go their's. Mr. Green
mike t

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: burning and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Just remember that if there is venom injected there will be a burning sensation like fire. Dry bite or not, get medical attention immediately. Als remove any rings, watches, bracelets handcuffs etc. The limb injected can swell up to three or four times it's original size.

GTG

I'm trying to figure out how handcuffs and rattlesnakes get involved in a single event? Not that I haven't seen bizzare scenarios at my place of employment, but I'm beginning to think your a sick boy GTG.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: burning and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike t wrote:
GTG wrote:
Just remember that if there is venom injected there will be a burning sensation like fire. Dry bite or not, get medical attention immediately. Als remove any rings, watches, bracelets handcuffs etc. The limb injected can swell up to three or four times it's original size.

GTG

I'm trying to figure out how handcuffs and rattlesnakes get involved in a single event? Not that I haven't seen bizzare scenarios at my place of employment, but I'm beginning to think your a sick boy GTG.

Doesn't everyone pack handcuffs in their backpacks?

Mr. Green

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/13/2004, 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kent, I was reading one of the "amazing facts" type books, and according to them (the authors) up to 50% of bites are "dry". Also mentions half of rattlesnake bite victims that go UNTREATED still live. I cannot see myself testing this philosophy in person. Shocked

And, judging by MikeT's pic, looks like he got bit on the feet! hehe

what i do
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/14/2004, 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Kent, what's your opinion of the Sawyer Extractor? Worthwhile or not?

Like anything the effectiveness is debatable among the so called experts. After seeing the way it worked on Colin, during the Ridgeline hike, I personally would be inclined to give it a shot. Fast action would be of the essence though.

Dr. Goat working on Colin on the Ridgeline
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/14/2004, 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Now I have a question are your pictures taken from actual snake encounters you had?

GB, I have personal pictures of Western Diamondbacks, Mojave, and Sidewinder.
Have never encountered Arizonablack, Tiger or Blacktail.

The pics in my post I drew off the web.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: