ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hieroglyphic Canyon to Ridgeline Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Hieroglyphic Canyon to Ridgeline Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jan 17 ( Friday ) Decided to scout out this route for possible addition/modification of Superstition Ridgeline hike. (some crazy hikers are planning to do a Twisted Evil double Ridgeline hike & thought I might do just a single Ridgeline hike via Hieroglyphic Canyon )

See the following Hieroglyphic Canyon topic for additional info and TH directions. http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90

Slept in Sad and didn't get to the Cloud View Road TH till 10am. I was very surprised to find parking area overflowing with 15 cars. ( RV hiker club of 30 people where already having an early lunch at the petroglpyhs )

Note: There was also a survey crew at the trailhead who said the state was going to be moving the TH further east in the next week+ (once they extend Cloud View Road) Very Happy Very Happy

Trail to the petroglpyhs was fast and well traveled with only a 500+ foot gain in just over 1.5 miles. Didn’t get much of a chance to check out the artwork since 30 snowbirds had made camp there. Sad

From the petroglpyhs the well-traveled trail disappears and the boulder climbing up the canyon begins. The first ½ mile past the petroglpyhs aren’t bad with some trail markers and a 15 percent grade. The next ½ mile is steeper with fewer signs of any route and a 20 percent grade. From here the climbing really begins and where I lost all signs of any route. So for the next ½ mile I climbed up to the side of the Ridgeline nearly 1,000 feet with a 40-60 grade. Amazed Amazed

Once on the Ridgeline I was able to find the trail over to and up Superstition Peak via previously saved GPS coordinates pretty quickly. However, once on Superstition Peak, I decided not to push my luck and risk a fall into Hieroglyphic Canyon so I aborted the planned return leg to the TH (where’s my car?). Embarassed

Instead I reluctantly called the wife and explained the situation and hastily planned a safer return route via the Carney Springs Trail. Chin Scratching I was hoping to arrange for SUV pickup at Carney Springs and at a certain time that hopefully would allow me enough time to catch a ride. I was fortunate to have hiked the Ridgeline Trail from Carney Springs to Siphon Draw last year so I guessed it would take at least a couple hours. Eek

Now the fun began as I attempted to hike and make calls to find an SUV taxi since my wife was afraid of getting lost or stuck in our mini-van. So for the next hour I hiked and made several calls to family/friends b/4 reaching my brother. Bro has a very nice 4x4 and jumped on the internet to locate directions to Carney Springs (4x4 is only nice to have for last ½ mile of Carney Springs Rd). My brother was able to find the trailhead with directions from the internet with only 1 wrong turn ( I saw him on Peralta Road from above and he missed the Carney Springs turn by a couple hundred feet b/4 turning back ) and he only beat me by about 10 minutes to the TH. Very Happy

Summary: Hieroglyphic Canyon best hiked on cloudy day or very early
because there’s little shade…

Temp’s on Friday reached almost 80 degrees which was very
warm for a steep climb in full sun to the the Ridgeline.

Hieroglyphics Canyon is not a good access point or escape route
to/from the Ridgeline Trail unless you are prepared/enjoy 40-60 percent
loose slopes/cliffs with little to no trail.

Final Stats: 7 miles of hiking from Hieroglyphic Canyon TH – Carney Springs TH in about 6 hours of time actually hiking.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like an adventure!

"The Journey is the Destination"
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did you note that it looks alot steeper looking down then up ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: