ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hiker dying on Camelback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/8/2004, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Hiker dying on Camelback Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone know where those hikers ran into the bees on Camelback yesterday? I know where there is a hive up there and wondered if that was the place. I also wonder if they'll go and try to get rid of the hive.

GTG
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/8/2004, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I heard that they were repelling down the North Face of Camelback. I'm guessing the head of the Camel.
Suzaz

PostPosted: 3/8/2004, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is important to pass along your information about any hive location to the appropriate individuals.

FYI--
All bees in Arizona are Africanized.
They will travel up to 2 miles from their hive daily.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 3/9/2004, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Echo that Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suzaz wrote:
It is important to pass along your information about any hive location to the appropriate individuals.

FYI--
All bees in Arizona are Africanized.
They will travel up to 2 miles from their hive daily.
Once my partner just ahead of me going up Pass mtn, got stung five times! While watching him jump around I almost put my hand into the hive! A quick detour occured! My greatest fear in the remote places!

But the africanized bees are becoming "localized" as the bee gene pool expands and tends to absorb and mix all the various genetic types. So the agressive afro types are now many generations into combining with the local gene pools, and the characteristics/behaviors are changing rapidly. Watch out, anyway!
ck1

PostPosted: 3/9/2004, 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's interesting...two years ago I was doing my second traverse of the Pass Mtn Ridgeline and was chased by bees for about 100 yards and eventually stung by two...I was hiking solo with Buffett...the idea of a swarm attack scares the crap out of me.

I believe that the climber was on a section of Camelback called "The Praying Monk" It's on the "head" of the camel...http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listSection.php?SectionID=559

"The Journey is the Destination"
Suzaz

PostPosted: 3/10/2004, 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, your body will build a tolerance to bee stings the more frequently that you are stung. (I don't think that's all at once)
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 3/10/2004, 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suzaz wrote:
Interestingly enough, your body will build a tolerance to bee stings the more frequently that you are stung. (I don't think that's all at once)

That's correct, but if you are stung many times at one time, the next time (even if it's months later) head straight to the ER, most likely you will have a severe reaction. This happened to a roofer, she had been stung before, but when stung again another time, she died due to allergic reaction to. Rather safe than sorry is my advice of the day. Smile

When I saw the news about the 2 climbers, I was praying it wasn't anyone from HAZ or here.

Sheri
bzachar

PostPosted: 3/19/2004, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some details can be found here regarding location of the incident:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0309bees09.html

Bill

PostPosted: 3/19/2004, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suzaz wrote:
Unless you are allergic. I have 2 children allergic to bee stings and ant bites and every reaction is worse than the last. They ahve been in ER all times and carry an Epipen.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 3/19/2004, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Bomber Bees Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
That's interesting...two years ago I was doing my second traverse of the Pass Mtn Ridgeline and was chased by bees for about 100 yards and eventually stung by two...I was hiking solo with Buffett...the idea of a swarm attack scares the crap out of me.

I believe that the climber was on a section of Camelback called "The Praying Monk" It's on the "head" of the camel...
Hey Colin, I had much the same experience on Pass ridgeline at about the same time. They were kind of dive-bombing at my head (I don't wear hats), and trying to swat them away when you desparately need both hands on handholds is a challenge! "...the idea of a swarm attack!"...OMG!.

"...on a section of Camelback called "The Praying Monk" It's on the "head" of the camel". I've explored around the head and "Praying Monk", and the idea of reaching for a handhold and disturbing a colony scares the krap out of me! Or, think about rappeling down a 65 meter pitch and looking into a hive as you pass by :))
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 3/20/2004, 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just the other day in search (and YES a successful find) of Robbers Roost we ran into a hiker who told us that the previous week he’d hiked up Hieroglyphic to Ridgeline and just as he reached the Ridgeline he saw a huge swarm of bees hovering right over the trail. He decided to quickly descend where he’d come from. He was out of state however, had read about the bee attack on Camelback and thought no need to chance it. Wise move.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: