ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Alta and Bajada Trails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9hiker

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Alta and Bajada Trails Reply to topic Reply with quote

These two South Mountain trails make a great loop hike. I hadn't been on the Alta section until just a few weeks ago and it's a great little workout. There are some really nice views of the city also. I really enjoyed the solitude of the trail as well. In comparison to the Pima Canyon area on the east side of S. Mtn. Park, these trails seem virtually unknown. Definitley a place you'd have to explore while it's still cool, though. If you've never been, go soon. The flesh burning summer months are right around the corner! Diablo
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Where's the Alta trailhead? Someday I'd like to hike the National end-end instead of only the East half to the towers. National Trail seems to get alot less use past the Mormon Loop T.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are actually 2 starting points for Alta - North and south

The south trailhead is at the terminus of San Juan road at the very southern edge of the park.

The North trailhead is at the same place as the Bajada trail except across the street.

The alta is about 5 miles - one of my favorites
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Click on the "Trails" link on this page, http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/PARKS/hikesoth.html#TRAILS
or just scroll down, to find where the trailhead for both these trails are. Both are located inside South Mountain Park off the Central Ave. entrance. If you look over my left shoulder in my avatar picture, you will see the range that the Alta trail goes over. My avatar was taken looking west from the National trail at the top of the highest peak on the west end, 2632 peak or something like that. Or just click here, http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/SCANPIC/hksouthm.gif to see a map of South Mountain park trails.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Its odd that the park rates the alta trail as " very difficult "

I admit its a little steep in sections, but certianly not very Difficult
k9hiker

PostPosted: 4/17/2003, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm guessing they are comparing it to the other trails in the park to derive at that "rating"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: