ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ready for an emergency overnight?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you pack enough to spend the night if you had to on a normal day hike?
Yes or almost always
57%
 57%  [ 26 ]
No or very rarely
42%
 42%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 45

JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 3/1/2004, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Ready? Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Pokie wrote:
Bet it's the 100 mph tape you lug around....lol

Well, that too, but I also bring along small tables, stools, muzak, condos, buffet meals, hot showers, etc... LOL
It's unbelievable, but he does! Just like hiking stuff can disappear into that "black hole" in his truck; it's amazing all the stuff that can come out of that b'pack!
AZBrad123

PostPosted: 3/2/2004, 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In reading this, and voting, i would have to say yes, i defintely take into account the possiblility of staying the night. Whether it would be a comfortable night, probably not. What i bring depends on the remoteness and the situation, since usually a day hike for me is about going light. A lighter, a warm fleece, plenty of water and a cell phone (if there is service) is about the extent of my preparations. Again, probably would survive the night, but would be really happy to get home after it.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 3/2/2004, 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My preparation for a night is rather Spartan; firestarter and emergency blanket. I usually also have a knife, bandana, and polarpure. It wouldn't be a cushy night but I'd be moving in the morning.
overrocked

PostPosted: 3/8/2004, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Ready for an emergency overnight. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yup, just cuz them 'ther dayhikes are training for backpackin' If'n I don't take first aid, emergen'C blanket, food, water, knife and light , the darn pac k is just too empty. and it's a great opportunity to do a really good workout with just 10 lbs weight.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 3/9/2004, 6:11 am    Post subject: emergency preparations Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great question!!!!!
I can think of no worse feeling on the trail than not having something that could save my a$$. My list usually nearly mirrors the "Ten Essentials" list. While keeping my butt alive, the items would not lend to comfort, they would however, afford survival.
I AM NOT gonna die cause I didnt want to carry some matches.

DOES anyone have any experiences when they got out into the middle of somewhere and realized that they carried too much or too little or forgot one essential item????
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 3/9/2004, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I answered yes. I take my standard stuff that I backpack with plus a space blanket and clothing for the season. I don't try to be comfy--just alive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: