ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ready for an emergency overnight?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you pack enough to spend the night if you had to on a normal day hike?
Yes or almost always
57%
 57%  [ 26 ]
No or very rarely
42%
 42%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 45

Daryl

PostPosted: 2/21/2004, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Ready for an emergency overnight? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do you pack enough to spend the night if you had to on a normal day hike?

PostPosted: 2/21/2004, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I answered "no or very rarely"...I've found in the past that there are certain things I always bring ( and usually never use) but I always forget this or that...so I'm working on a new list of "things I need to bring along" and I'm hoping that by the next time I go out I should have most of what I need...

...but that leads me to another question, do you pack differently if you know you will be hiking with a BIG group on a day hike (as in..."I know Randy carries an entire medicine cabinet, so I could leave the bandaids and advil at home...and I could bring more power bars instead...") or do you always carry the same stuff no matter what company or hike you take? Question

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/22/2004, 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good question Tracy! I usually pack the same stuff no matter who is hiking. Ther ehave been a couple of timew when figured in the Randy/Tom factor and didn't carry every thing just cause I was tired that day or for some reason felt like I needed a lighter load but usually I carry it all. I'd love to see your list when you get it finished!

I want to shine!
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/22/2004, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes: I leave the sleeping bag at home though. I do have extra food and water, flashlight & headlamp, knife, map and compass, medical kit, stocking cap, fleece jacket, goretex rain pants and shell top, and gloves if necessary. I can usually start a fire if need be. Signal mirror is in medical kit, as are 10x10 surgipads, a good elastic bandage, and a SAM splint.

I used to carry more medical stuff than I do now. I learned thru trial and error what was never used, and what was. Example: I used to carry metronidazole (flagyl) for giardiasis, until I learned that the incubation period for the bacteria exceeded the time duration of any of my trips.
plummer150

PostPosted: 2/22/2004, 7:22 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope. Perhaps I should start though....
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/22/2004, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK.....I've been laughed at more than once since I'm a "day hiker" and pack a flashlight and other odds 'n ends just in case. Extra batteries, a space blanket and a custom made first aid kit with ace wraps and gloves....etc because you never know what your going to encounter out there!

I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared.

Mr. Green

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/22/2004, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hell yes....got an emergancy kit in both the Z-4 and the "Cute" Jeep, plus carry extra wine, gin, ta-kil-ya and beer in the motorhome in case I get stranded someplace really dry like Salt Lake City Margarita !

Oh...ya probably meant in my backpack? Well, do carry a flask of ta-kil-ya Margarita at all times! (but ran out during last year's Reavis Ranch Campout and had to beg more off GTG! Happily, he carries porridge near as much good stuff as water!)
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/22/2004, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hooli,

I guess we can use that Ta-kil-ya medicinally as an antiseptic if we really need too! Otherwise we it can mixed with many other things for a good time!

Mr. Green

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/22/2004, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Being the mechanic type, I become quite irritated when I don't have the right tool for whatever job.

So... I bring just about everything I would need for any hiking circumstance. It sounds silly, but I even bring the stuff on the short, easy hikes. Makes me feel better I guess.

I've been called "MacGuyver" on camping trips before. Wonder why that is? Mr. Green

PostPosted: 2/23/2004, 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is water enough?
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/23/2004, 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cindy wrote:
Is water enough?

Ya know, I noticed that about you. That is all you bring on a hike, isn't it?

PostPosted: 2/23/2004, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I'm alone or just with another, I do bring more. When I'm with a group and the trails are easy I guess I just have alot of faith that nothing is gonna happen. I suppose I should be more prepared.
kiluam

PostPosted: 2/29/2004, 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

water, knife, sunglasses, and long sleeve shirt Crazy
Pokie

PostPosted: 3/1/2004, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I've been called "MacGuyver" on camping trips before. Wonder why that is?

Bet it's the 100 mph tape you lug around....lol
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/1/2004, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pokie wrote:
Bet it's the 100 mph tape you lug around....lol

Well, that too, but I also bring along small tables, stools, muzak, condos, buffet meals, hot showers, etc... LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: