ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Flatiron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cactuscat

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I live in east Mesa, so we should just meet at the park. I'd like to start fairly early, but I'll let you decide what time since you've got a bit of a drive to get there.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

about how long of a drive is it out there? I live in north pheonix near the loop 101 and I-17 junction.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, canyon dweller, your right up the street from me. i'm right off of I-17 at cactus. thats a drive over to the supes, i drive to tempe m-f for work and class, unfortunately the times I go to the supes traffic is bad if its a weekday between 6-9am, unless you carpool.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:
about how long of a drive is it out there? I live in north pheonix near the loop 101 and I-17 junction.

It would be about a 30-45 min drive from you. Take the 202 all the way to Higley and then south to 60. Take 60 to Idaho Rd. 88 and go left. Go about 2 or 3 miles to the 88 turnoff (Apache Trail) and go right. Take this to the Lost Dutchman State Park entrance. I think it's 6 bucks now to park. Follow the road to Siphon Draw TH.

Well, that's if CactusCat has an alternative...
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey CactusCat,

I live in Gilbert just south of 60. Anytime you want to hit the Supes just let me know. I'm propably just minutes from you.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

TommyB wrote:
Canyon Dweller wrote:

It would be about a 30-45 min drive from you. Take the 202 all the way to Higley and then south to 60. Take 60 to Idaho Rd. 88 and go left. Go about 2 or 3 miles to the 88 turnoff (Apache Trail) and go right. Take this to the Lost Dutchman State Park entrance. I think it's 6 bucks now to park. Follow the road to Siphon Draw TH.

Well, that's if CactusCat has an alternative...

Either that, or when you get off the 202 at Higley, just go south about 2.5 miles then turn left on Brown. You can take Brown all the way out to 88, then turn left and you're there in a couple of miles.
We can probably just meet at the entrance (Ranger office/pay station) and leave one car there, so we can just take one car into the park and split the $6.

Tommy B - what days are you available to hike?
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ok,ok all you trekkers! Where is the best deal on the poles? I'm sure they're cheaper than "air evac"! Rolling Eyes I have never tried them and it sounds like they are well worth it! Would it be "Popular" or "REI" ??
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cactuscat wrote:
Tommy B - what days are you available to hike?

CactusCat, I'm available pretty much any weekend day, plus Monday or Friday depending on the plans. I can flex either one of those days given enough notice. Just give me the nod. Sounds like we're pretty close to each other.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GeorgAz wrote:
ok,ok all you trekkers! Where is the best deal on the poles? I'm sure they're cheaper than "air evac"! Rolling Eyes I have never tried them and it sounds like they are well worth it! Would it be "Popular" or "REI" ??

All right! Glad to here you're gonna give them a try. I've got REI brand Ultra-Lights; they're made by Komperdell, but sold cheaper as REI brand. I forget exactly what the pair cost me - I'm thinking about $60. I'm sure you can find some cheaper, if you're not sure you're going to like them, though - thrift store ski poles would work. You don't need the extra fancy kind with the "shocks" in them, just make sure the grips are comfy for your hands. Mine have foam grips with more foam extending down the pole for several inches, so that you can grab the pole down lower, instead of readjusting the length on hills, etc.
phrankster

PostPosted: 2/2/2003, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I've never done the Flatiron, but have been thinking of it for awhile. Now that you folks are going on a day that I might be able to make it, I hope you won't mind if I try joining you. I'll be coming from the Chander area (101 & Ray) so just let me know the time and where to meet, and I'll be there. Ok
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinking about starting at about 8:00.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
cactuscat

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

8:00 is fine with me. Welcome aboard, Phrankster!
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Would be great to hike with you Phrankster. Very Happy
The more the marrier. Mr. Green

phrankster

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, so 8:00 it is. I'm not too familiar with the area Chin Scratching So I assume we'll meet by (I'm looking at the Lost Dutchman park map) the Siphon Draw trailhead, correct? unless you guys have a better Idea please let me know. Shades
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/3/2003, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, i got my schedual from work early and i have to work Tuesday. My days off next week are Wednesday and Friday. That kinda fusterates me, i have been dieing to do the Flatiron. Sad

If anybody is up to doing it then, that would be great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: