ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Flatiron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

People have certainly gotten lost there!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

People have died there. They get off the main trail and into the wrong side canyon. Or they fall at the waterfall area. Coming down Siphon Draw from the top in the dark is something you don't want to do if you've never been there.
AZW1

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kristyn wrote:
Don't know why it's not coming out. Somebody fix it for me. Very Happy Mr. Green Kristyn

See if this helps with the picture, Kristyn...
http://www.azwilderness.com/webphotos/Alexys-Flatiron.jpg
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

See if this helps with the picture, Kristyn...
http://www.azwilderness.com/webphotos/Alexys-Flatiron.jpg

Thanks!!! It worked!
ck1

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Siphon Draw to Flatiron is one of the tougher hikes in the area, and the danger level is higher than a squaw pk or camelback. I'd certianly never advise a 1st timer to go solo, unless that person had a great deal of experience. Search and Rescue regularly picks up the remains of people who've fallen out there. It's not uncommon to see hikers off course toward the other canyon, from which it's difficult to get out. Generally this occurs on the descent, when people aren't likely to reascend to rediscover the trail.

"The Journey is the Destination"
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 3:27 pm    Post subject: Flat Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sweet hike. This is one of my favorite hikes to go on. It's truely an amazing site when you make it to the top!
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Coming down Siphon Draw from the top in the dark is something you don't want to do if you've never been there.

NOW you tell me..... Crazy -R
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I ussually have no problem doing a mountain by myself if I dont know anything about it, but the Flatiron sounds like a different mountain. I like to share my expereinces with somebody anyway. It is always fun to do something like that with somebody. The Flatiron is the one hike i desperately want to do around here. I just need somebody that can do it with me on a tuesday since that is my day off. Or if somebody can do it with me on a Sunday when I'm not teaching sunday school at my church.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wish I could join you all,but my Flatiron days are over.My knees will go up anything,but then there's that gnarly way down!Maybe if I o'd on anti- inflams and wrap them! Maybe I'll give it another shot! Rolling Eyes
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GeorgAz wrote:
Wish I could join you all,but my Flatiron days are over.My knees will go up anything,but then there's that gnarly way down!Maybe if I o'd on anti- inflams and wrap them! Maybe I'll give it another shot! Rolling Eyes

Have you already tried using a pair of trekking poles? If not, I wouldn't give up on the knees yet - you can take so much pressure off them with poles. Coming down Flatiron there are times when virtually all my weight is on the poles, and my knees rarely feel a thing. Hiking
ck1

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cactuscat wrote:
GeorgAz wrote:

Have you already tried using a pair of trekking poles? If not, I wouldn't give up on the knees yet - you can take so much pressure off them with poles. Coming down Flatiron there are times when virtually all my weight is on the poles, and my knees rarely feel a thing. Hiking

DITTO !! It's worth a shot if you haven't tried it with poles...

"The Journey is the Destination"
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use just one walking stick and it really helps. It's the right knee that bothers me so I plant the stick whenever I'm about to put more strain on that knee.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/31/2003, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the same problem (blew my right knee out playing hockey back in my HS days). The trekking pole(s) were the best investment I've made in a while towards my hiking fetish. I'm sure Kurthzone would concurr...
cactuscat

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller - I'm planning on doing Flatiron on Tuesday, Feb. 11. Hope you can join me! Anyone else wanna go? Hiking Sweat
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/1/2003, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

giving I have the day off TOTALLY!!!!!!!! Very Happy
That would so make my day. Would we meet at the trail or some place in Phoenix? I am in North Phoenix. What time would you want to do it?

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: