ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Flatiron
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/18/2003, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Flatiron Reply to topic Reply with quote

Went up the flatiron today. I took my eight year old daughter with me, she did absolutely wonderful. Took us 2 1/2 hours, but I was also keeping my daughter motivated to continue. She had fun, but it was a challenge for her. We agreed that if she could get up the Flatiron, then I would take her to the Grand Canyon. It was a gorgeous day, lots of people, but at least they were spread out.

Here is a pic of her on the top....

phrankster

PostPosted: 1/18/2003, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

um, Kristyn, your picture didn't come out Neutral I've never been to the flatiron yet, but am going either Tuesday or Wednesday for the first time. If you take your daughter to GC and your going to be on the rim then take her to Shoshone point,
it's only a mile walk in from the gate but it's a very nice (and little known)area with picnic tables, fireplaces and restrooms.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 1/18/2003, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Kristyn,

Give your daughter a high five from me Agree

Have fun snowboarding and hope to hike with you again soon. Spinning
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/18/2003, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't know why it's not coming out. Somebody fix it for me. Very Happy Mr. Green

I am actually going to camp down in Havasupai, my family and I have been doing it for years. I am really looking forward to it.

Kent, It was funny, EVERY person that past us gave her a thumbs up. She did do very well and I will let her know what you said. I will catch up with all of you when I get back from Utah. I will definitely have a blast.

Kristyn
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way to go Kristyn,

My daughter Sarah, eight at the time, backpacked Barnhardt to Chilson Springs with me last year in April. It was quite an experience do to the inclement weather. She did great, although I lightened her pack quite a bit.

http://www.extremezone.com/~kurth/archives/barnhardt.htm
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome pics, it really is amazing what young kids can do if they put their mind to it.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/20/2003, 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i have never been to the Sups and the Flatiron is something that I have been dieing to do.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/20/2003, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller - what are you waiting for? If you need some company, just let us know - there are a few of us who will take any opportunity to get out in the Supes!!
AZW2

PostPosted: 1/20/2003, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:
... never been to the Sups and the Flatiron is something that I have been dying to do.

A couple of links for you Razz :

http://www.azwilderness.com/Programs/PHP/trailsList.php?selTrail=Flatiron+Trail

Siphon Draw is the most popular route to the Flatiron:
http://www.azwilderness.com/Programs/PHP/trailsList.php?selTrail=Siphon+Draw+Trail
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Canyon Dweller - what are you waiting for? If you need some company, just let us know - there are a few of us who will take any opportunity to get out in the Supes!!

My problem is that I dont have Saturdays off like most of everybody, if somebody can take a tuesday off then I'd be up to it.
AZW2 thanks for the links, but I'd rather do the Flatiron with somebody, with a group hike or something. From what I have read, it sounds like for a first timer its best to do the flatiron with somebody.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am free on Tuesday's quite often. I have tentative plans to do Thompson Peak next Tuesday (you could join us if you'd like) but I might be able to do Flatiron with you the following week.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Whats Thomposon Peak? That would be great, I have been hiking by myself for this whole winter (if you can call it that here), and would love to do a group hike. I have been having tuesdays off pretty regularly, but my work scedual could change, I have to check it each week to see if I still have the same days off.
I typicly do Camelback, just to stay in shape and I am getting BORED of that mountain. If I have Tuesday off in 2 weeks, I would love to do the Flatiron, its on my list of "most want to do mountains."

cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've never done Thompson Peak before, but according to gpshiker, it's one of the high points of the McDowells. It's 9+ miles r.t., with about 2100 feet of elevation change. I'll know for sure if I'm able to go by Friday night. I'm always ready to do Flatiron, so we'll plan on it soon! Hiking
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been looking at the McDowells ever since I moved here, and I have wondered about them, really wanting to do them, I will know if I have tuesday off sometime this week.

Wiz

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:
From what I have read, it sounds like for a first timer its best to do the flatiron with somebody.

Naw, that's really not the case. The Flatiron is pretty much like Squaw Peak, except a lot harder. It's not like you could get lost or anything. It's very popular, always a lot of people there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: