ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Stretching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 9:31 pm    Post subject: Stretching Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone can recommend a good stretching video/cd. I think they may be better than diagrams.
ck1

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hate stretching, but have found that I'll do a 20 minute yoga tape and get the same effect as a decent stretching routine...so if you're up for a bit of yoga, pick up any of the myrid of tapes available...our personal favorite are the ones by Rodney Yee (sp)...

"The Journey is the Destination"
plummer150

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 11:29 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Same. Stretching is horrible. However, I have come to realize that it works wonders. I did it in track in middle school and high school and I still go through the same stretch work out at this point before and after a hike.
overrocked

PostPosted: 2/15/2004, 12:27 pm    Post subject: yeah i want to know one too! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I picked up a basics for yoga and pilates book illustrated, and i've tried a few, but getting a routine is difficult, even when you are motivated. for right now, i just do squats, steps, angels, and the breathing while tightening your abs and improving your posture. I also do scissor steps before i get out of bed. I used to just climb stairs while at work on my breaks, but have gotten bored with it. Do you want to focus on upper or lower body? Angels are just putting your arms up with elbows bent near your ear level and raising your arms straight up- Great for when you are at the keyboard for hours on end. Laughing Steps are just putting your toes on the edge of a step and raising up and down. I'm currently learning from a yoga journals' YOGA for beginners with patricia walden. It comes with a book. It's bettern than nothing, but i would like to find one for a 20 minute warm-up stretching other than yoga, to get a realistic before hike routine.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 2/15/2004, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Stretching Reply to topic Reply with quote

plummer150 wrote:
Same. Stretching is horrible. However, I have come to realize that it works wonders. I did it in track in middle school and high school and I still go through the same stretch work out at this point before and after a hike.
I agree. And I came to the same realization mucho years ago.

What I've found is that fully stretching out all the muscle groups, helps for a little longer than 24 hours. So stretching everyday is mandatory.

Hiking and distance running over-develop the back and back-of-the-leg (hamstrings) muscles. The insertions (muscle to bone) become thicker and shorter and will eventually tear (pulled-muscle, etc.), unless we compensate the shortening by stretching.

Whatever routine you use (videos, yoga classes, etc.), the goals are to put each joint through the full range of motion every day. This automatically ensures we are stretching the right muscle sets. Because most of us are sedentary, it can take months (slow is better) to gain full flexibility. It has to become a daily, lifestyle thing. Also, because most of us are right-handed, etc., we tend to slightly over-develop the muscle groups on that side of the body. Extending the stretch intervals for that side of the body, can help to balance the left-right side muscle groups. The martial arts people especially work on this to make the right-handed/left-handed techniques equally effective.

It's interesting to note that the main reason the four-minute mile record was surpassed (and has even been done by high-school track runners), is that the athletes started doing stretching programs to increase performance. All the current sub-four runners probably stretch as many hours as they train.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/27/2004, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Borrowed a Yoga tape, been holding out for one done by Brooke Burke though. Being doing it for several days, felt a little more flexible after the session. Picked up a copy of Core Performance by Mark Verstegen which a co worker suggested.
Kim

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

good reminders, because i'm so lazy about stretching. i just go and if it hurts, later, I stretch it. a hiking friend of mine told me that her coach for cross country or soemthing in highschool told her never to stretch before warming up. i've always heard that u are supposed to stretch before warming up. Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: