ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New Tent Suggestions...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/11/2004, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kelty Zen at Campmor - $120? or less, two person in a pinch, or someone you know or want to know very well.

I'm liking my Mountain Hardware PCT one person tent, think I paid about $140 for it. just over 3 pounds.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang Randy. I appreciate all the effort.

I think my sights have shifted to the S.D. Canyonlands after some more poking around reviews and that. It's almost identical to that Hubba tent, but offers like 6 ft more floor space at the same weight. I think I'll have to see it pitched with the fly in place before any firm decision is made. I'm sure I could alter the vestibule a bit later.

Appreciate all the insight everyone!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
I think my sights have shifted to the S.D. Canyonlands after some more poking around reviews and that.

Um...isn't the Canyonlands made by North Face? Confused BTW, they had one set up at the PV REI last time I was there, so I'd imagine they've got 'em at the Tempe store too.

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Campmor has the 2003 Canyonlands for $149 vs $179 for the 2004. No difference that I can tell. I am curious if it can be set up with just the fly--now that would be lightweight!
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The N.F. Canyonlands also has the feature whereby you may utilize just the (optional) footprint, pole & fly (leaving the "body" at home) for times when bugs are unlikely to be an issue. This makes the weight a "guess-ti-mated" 2.4 # ! (the footprint is 9oz.)

To further complicate your choice :) ,you might consider the Golite Den2 - 3# 9oz. tent/poles/stakes, 31 sq. ft. - $199 retail.. Street $150.00+/- http://www.golitestore.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=SH6002&variation=&aitem=16&mitem=16

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm thinkin thats a bit too light weight for Tom... Im thinkin he wants the actual tent for reasons.... am I right Tom?

I want to shine!
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Canyonlands is a single pole design like the larger (40 sq. ft.) SD Asteroid. I'm curious if the design is stable in high wind or storm conditions....The Canyonlands is also very snug at 27 sq. ft... definately a single person tent.

This all proves that the more options and information, the tougher it is to make a decision...
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just for fun, let's add more to the mix of confusion... http://alpsmountaineering.com/Lightweight%20Tents.htm

I know nothing about these tents except that I got a smokin' deal on the Mystique 1.5 (it looks really nice in my living room), but I have yet to try it out so I can't give a yeah or nay on whether it'll hold up, which is why I haven't mentioned it earlier Rolling Eyes (but the website does have testimonials and somewhere else I read an actual review for it, but I can't find that now)...

(and if anyone knows bad things about these tents...feel free to burst my bubble, but I'm hoping for my uses it will work just fine! Very Happy )

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tracey, my sierra designs light year looks somewhat like yours with the two poles and such but I have not yet had the opportunity to try mine out so I can't give any yea's or nay's either. but it too looks great in my living room!!!!

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

By golly, the Canyonlands is N.F., not S.D. I think I have tent on the brain.

I don't see much difference in the 2003 model as opposed to the 2004. That Campmor price rocks. I can get the proper footprint too, all for the price of a 2004 alone.

Randy, this isn't going to be my only tent by the way. I want this one for solo treks. I also have a Eureka Apex 2A if I want more room. It has worked well for me so far. Cheap too. Did I mention I'm a cheapskate?

Shades
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, you didn't...I'll hold off on my recommendations on Scarpa and Boreal boots, and Western Mountaineering sleeping bags then....
plummer150

PostPosted: 2/12/2004, 11:25 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ha! I know i'm a cheapskate. I'm still usin my old two person tent that was givin to me like 15 years ago. Still works but i'd like a new one here soon. Wink
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/13/2004, 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use a Northface Slickrock for backpacking- its about 4lbs,1oz and is a decent three season tent. It is not good for high winds and horizontal driving rain- it will get in the tent. It has a high interior you can easily sit up in and two large doors for easy in and out. It has a lot of mesh so good ventilation. I also have a Eureka EXo- I forget the model- slightly lighter than the NF and single walled. It does have a condensation problem as I found out in utah.
Also the Slickrock is free standing- kinda a requirement for me as sometimes its a tent site that doesn't enable staking.
Mostly I sleep out with a tarp.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/13/2004, 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The N.F. Slickrock is almost identical to the Eureka Apex I have. I think Eureka swiped the design if you ask me. The fly is definitely not enough, but saves some weight. I also found it has a slight perspiration problem, but it's not terrible.

The reviews I read about the EXO tents basically said, being single walled, they also have a pretty bad condensation prob. I was scoping those out before I read the reviews.

In a nutshell, I think I'm going to go with the Canyonlands. I like the head room and it has ample floor space. The price is fairly reasonable too. I especially like the idea of fly/tarp only mode. I've seen many weight claims, but the avg is around 3lbs 10oz. for the whole deal.

It looks like Campmor may get a sale soon. I'm gonna swing by REI this weekend and hopefully take a final gander at one.

Thanks all!
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/17/2004, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From www.backpacking.net classifieds...

You will need to register to view the classifieds......
It was posted on Feb. 8th

mrgoldenbrown

North Face Canyonlands Tent for sale

I have a Canyonlands 1 person tent for sale. I used it only 4 times (I am now upsizing to a two person tent) I am asking $100 OBO for it.

-peter

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: