ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New Tent Suggestions...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/9/2004, 3:13 pm    Post subject: New Tent Suggestions... Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been scoping out a few possibilities for a new tent lately. I want a 1.5 sized tent that is LIGHT (3lbs or so).

I have a Eureka Apex 2A that has served me well. I'd really like to find a large 1, or 1.5 suited for backpacking. I'm NOT looking for minimalist stuff here. Something with a tub floor, and has a fly option.

I looked at the Eureka EXO line, but read that they have a big problem with inside precipitation. Not for me. I really liked them until I read the reviews.

I kinda have a problem with claustrophobia too, so bivvys are out.

Without spending an arm and a leg, any suggestions out there? I DO NOT want to hear from the "sleep under the stars" crowd thanks.

Shades
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/9/2004, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom: I'll research this more later. I'm on my way to a meeting. In the meantime, I'd start with Mountain Hardwear, Sierra Design, and Marmot for ideas. MSR is now making tents. I love their quality control on stoves and filters. have seen no real reviews of their tents. Bibler makes killer tents and save some weight by using PTFE (goretex) fabric on a single wall design. Saves weight, but $$$$- R
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/9/2004, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Eureka Backcountry II (5 lbs. 4 0z), I have the Eureka Backcountry I (3lbs. 14 0z). Earth tone colors and around $ 130 for the two person model. Avaialbe at www.campmor.com. Visit Popular and review the Gear Guide in the new issue of BackPacker.
plummer150

PostPosted: 2/9/2004, 6:04 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm looking for a new tent myself. I'll follow this thread closely with the suggestions.
Hnak

PostPosted: 2/9/2004, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've used a S.D. Clip Flashlight for a number of years when I'm concerned about rain. It weighs around 4 lbs, it's easy to put up, and relatively cheap. And one time I (under duress) shared it with another hiker about my size Scared. It was cozy, but doable. Normally, I enjoy the room...
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/9/2004, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like the Eureka Backcountry Solo for the room, but I also like the MSR Hubba for the fly and vestibule. The Flashlight series is a bit too tight for me. I've looked at those, and tried one on (just in the store).

What is your take on the Backcountry Nighthiker? Any major precipitation in the thing? It seems the Eurekas are prone to that. My Apex is notorious for it too. I'm not too hot for the Backcountry fly setup yet.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 2/9/2004, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm a light weight, but I also LIKE space (I like to occupy double my space, but carry far less than half my weight). What about the Eureka Zeus 2, it weights in at 3.6 pounds (lighter then the backcountry). Not bad for a two man tent. I just don't know how it performs in rain AND it doesn't have a fly option which I know will be an issue for me, but hey, that's what a tarp is for! Mary
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/9/2004, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought the fly on the BackCountry would be a drawback but no problem yet (I also set up my gear in the back yard when it rains to test it). I would like to obtain and try out the new Individual Combat Shelter by Eureka.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/9/2004, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I thought the fly on the Backcountry was a bit skimpy. I would really like to see one of those Hubba tents in person. Anyone seen one of those around town? I would imagine REI...
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/10/2004, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom: As I was shopping for you ( I had no interest on my own, of course....) I ran across a real hot deal. Bibler has a sale on one of their models, the Juniper. Single wall PTFE Mountain Tent, bombproof, 42 sq. feet three person tent, 12 foot vestibule, 2 doors (when nature calls in a hurry), 48" interior height. This will handle two large people, and all their gear, or two people and a large dog, or even four dogs, no people....(we seems to be getting more of the four legged crowd lately, they're nice folks too) This tent is 7 pounds 6 oz with all the stakes, guys, stuff sack etc. It's on sale for $325 at Biblertents.com

I know that was more than you were looking for, size wise, but it's a hot deal...

BTW, always check total packed weight, or total shipped weight, cause the minimal weights sometimes given in places like the gearfinder site don't includes stuffs, stakes, etc. -R
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/10/2004, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Appreciate you scoping things Randy, but that's a bit more than I was looking for. I'd like to find a store that has that MSR Hubba locally. Keep your eyes peeled.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/10/2004, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hikeringilbert,

I see from your pic that you use a hiking stick(s).
You might consider the Virga or Squall (with optional floor) UNDER two pounds - of course that's W/O pole) from www.tarptent.com . It would utilize the pole(s) that you already carry, thus reducing redundant weight.

O/W - maybe REI's Roadster ($129.00).. I did a review on one & liked it a lot. 3.5 # ; 15.5 sq. ft. with a 6 sq. ft. vestibule. It's a "little" tight, but not a tomb.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47600028&parent_category_rn=4500666

North Face has the Canyonlands http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=9465119&parent_category_rn=4500666 3.5#, 25 sq. ft. 9 sq. ft. vestibule.

OR, if you've won the lottery recently (think 460-560), see Warmlite's 2X (single wall) or 2R (double wall) @ www.warmlite.com 46 sq. ft..

re condensation..
IMHO you will have more apparent condensation in a single wall tent (I use a Warmlite 2X - I have no trouble when it's just me, but with two I sometimes get condensation).
The double wall concept does leave a space between the fly & tent body in hopes that some air movement will disapate the condensation. You will note, though, that the double wall (tent + fly) tents made of mesh do generally not use mesh on the TOP ( instead they use fabric on the extreme top) - the fear being that condensation will build up on the inside of the fly, and then "rain" down through the mesh.
If weight savings is the primary goal, single wall, IMHO, is the way to go; if tertiary, then go with double wall if that increases your comfort level.

Regardless, there exists a myriad of good tents available - you can't go TOO wrong; but if you do, there's always eBay...... :wink:

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
ck1

PostPosted: 2/10/2004, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Following the thought of new gear...any thougths on the the recent Backpacker Gear Guide...I enjoyed the format of this one...with the extensive reviews for each category before the grid of products...

"The Journey is the Destination"
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/11/2004, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom: I'm gonna try and see if Mike or Todd can paste my spread sheet here. I tried and the format all went whacky. I looked at a number of suppliers, guided by several factors: Select only items below $300 or close; Select only items below 5 pound trail weight; Select items from manufacturers with proven performance; Select only three season tents.

The 3/4 season convertibles and the four season tents are all noticeably heavier. Convertible tents usually have features, such as zip out panels, that can be removed to save weight when not in winter conditions. Four season tents are heavy and bomb proof. Spending the night atop Humphries in the dead of winter with 50 mph winds is not a job for a three season tent. On the other hand, one is more than capable of taking anything the Supers will normally dish out in a winter storm if staked out well.

Observations....REI lists the Hubba Hubba, but note that it is smaller than the Clip Flashlight and $110 bucks more. For what?? I also looked at both North Face and REI tents, and all the models in the above range did not seem to compare with my listed models. They were either too small, too heavy or too pricey. The Sierra Designs models seem to offer the most bang for the buck. The Airjet Three is very tempting, but again, a bill more than the Sierra Design Clip 3, and about the same size and weight. I've had poor experience with coated single wall tents, no matter how well vented. A third Sierra Design model, the Asteroid CD, was almost as big as the Clip 3, and a bit cheaper, but only had one pole and didn't appear as wind stable, given the modest price difference.

I own a Clip Flashlight CD, as well as a Nightview four season by Mountain Hardwear. (You are welcome to play with mine any time) The Nightview is a totally bombproof tent, and about 40 sq. ft. but weighs about 7lbs. 12oz. I took the Clip Flashlight in on the Dutchman just to save weight cause I knew I didn't need the extra strength on that one. Patty and I had plenty of room, you and I might have been a bit snug, but who knows, given enough tequila. Rolling Eyes

That's my two cents worth. Hopefully one of the tech whizzes can post my excel sheet. -R
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/11/2004, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/TomsTent.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: