ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Garmin vs. Magellan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefTIO

PostPosted: 1/30/2004, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Garmin vs. Magellan Reply to topic Reply with quote

Question
I'm shopping around for GPS right now. I'm torn between the Garmin Vista and the Magellan Meridian Gold. From some of the posts I see most people seem to have Garmins. Can anybody give me the plus/minus of each models? I like the fact you can add memory to the Meridian and the ease of use, but I have read that the Vista is more durable and reliable. Looking for some feedback......
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/30/2004, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm a Magellan fan and have a Map330. The Sportrak models look interesting and appear to provide just as much for less price. Sportrak is suppose to be one of the most precise GPS's on the market.

I tried out the Vista on several hikes and wasn't impressed..especially with the alitimeter/barometer feature which didn't appear to work when I lost signal.

Checkout their yahoo group site for each model as well as http://gpsinformation.net/ for more info.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/30/2004, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a Magellan Sportrak Map. It's a really nice, compact, multifunction unit. I had an opportunity to check out a Garmin on a recent hike, and I have to say, that "one button" control that they have is pretty slick. Like a mini joystick and position marker in one.

The Magellan units have a lot of bells 'n whistles, more than the Garmins I'd say. The topo map feature of the Magellan I have is great. Compatible with most topo apps on the market today.

I still have a lot to learn about it. A larger learning curve than the Garmins for sure. The battery life has a bit to be desired though.

They run about $160. If you like tinkering with a lot of info, then I'd say the Magellan Sportrak Map is for you.

I've heard some rave reviews from folks that use the Garmin Gecko. Simple and to the point. Positioning and that's about it. The step-up Garmin models offer topo, but I think their screen is a bit too small for it.

I'm kind of tempted to pick up one of those Garmin Rhinos. I like the fact that it includes an FRS. The GPS part is kind of tiny, but I don't get lost anyways... who does? LOL

Shades

Guess it depends on what your desires are.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/30/2004, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Garmin recently announced the Rhino 130 which looks interesting with upwards of 5 mile range using GMRS band.

Any own or tried out any of the Rhino models. Polling feature looks neat if you wondered where the rest of your group was--sounds like it might even show you their position on a topo map.

The Rino 130 is the most feature-rich unit in the Rino family, with a built-in electronic compass, barometric sensor, weather receiver for seven NOAA weather channels, and 24 MBs of internal memory. This handheld radio has a built-in electronic compass to give a heading while the user is standing still, and a barometric altimeter to provide extremely accurate elevation and pressure information, which will assist users in identifying weather data.

The Rino 130 provides two-way radio communication with a transmission range of up to two miles using FRS channels and up to five miles with GMRS. The integration of two-way radio and GPS enables users to transmit their position with a simple button press, allowing others to navigate to their position. The Rino 130 also has a polling feature, which allows a user to manually request GPS location information from other Rino units.

The Rino 130 offers a detailed basemap of North and South America, displaying cities, highways, railways, rivers and lakes, and borders. And because of the unit’s robust internal memory, it can store map data from a variety of Garmin MapSource® CD products, including U.S. Topo 24K™, U.S. Topo™, Recreational Lakes™, BlueChart®, and MetroGuide®.

Suggested Retail Price:
$374.99 U.S.D.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/30/2004, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
The GPS part is kind of tiny, but I don't get lost anyways... who does? LOL

Umm....I seem to recall on Rogers Canyon?..."which way is the trail?..." Rolling Eyes

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 1/31/2004, 12:02 am    Post subject: Whoz lost?/Misplaced? Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
HikerInGilbert wrote:
The GPS part is kind of tiny, but I don't get lost anyways... who does? LOL

Umm....I seem to recall on Rogers Canyon?..."which way is the trail?..." :roll:
Ha-ha, Thanks T! But, Uh, Tom, I think there have been a few times when we might have been mis-placed out there... But, evidently you don't get lost, SportFan? I have a map and compass, and I occasionally find my way in the Supes, but not always :)))

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/31/2004, 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Whoz lost?/Misplaced? Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW63 wrote:
Ha-ha, Thanks T! But, Uh, Tom, I think there have been a few times when we might have been mis-placed out there... But, evidently you don't get lost, SportFan? I have a map and compass, and I occasionally find my way in the Supes, but not always Smile))

Heheheh. It's kinda funny. I can sense when your unsure of your whereabouts Jay Dub. You're always behind me!! Mr. Green

You seem to put more faith in my keen sixth sense of direction then you lead everyone to believe. Batteries in that tri-corder dead? Smiley-Alien

I think I would fall over if I ever saw you take out a map and compass. Is that compass still in the shrink wrap?

Shades
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/31/2004, 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Whoz lost?/Misplaced? Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Heheheh. It's kinda funny. I can sense when your unsure of your whereabouts Jay Dub. You're always behind me!! Mr. Green

hmmm... Chin Scratching would this be like the blind leading the blind?

HikerinGilbert wrote:
I think I would fall over if I ever saw you take out a map and compass. Is that compass still in the shrink wrap?
Shades

rofl

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 1/31/2004, 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Whoz lost?/Misplaced? Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="paintninaz"]
HikerInGilbert wrote:
Heheheh. It's kinda funny. I can sense when your unsure of your whereabouts Jay Dub. You're always behind me!! :mrgreen:

paintninaz wrote:
hmmm... :scratch: would this be like the blind leading the blind?
Yes, brat, exactly. The only question is who's in the lead.

HikerinGilbert wrote:
:shades:
I took it out to set the local declination.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Daryl

PostPosted: 2/2/2004, 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the Rino 110 and love it.

PostPosted: 2/2/2004, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Garmin Vs Magellan Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a Meridian Platinum but would recommend the Gold to new buyers since I don't use the compass or barometer that costs extra. I also have a Sportrak Pro for backup. I'm very happy with both.

Garmin Etrex receivers use a patch antenna while the Magellans use a quadrafiller helix antenna. The helix antenna is thought to perform better (i. e. lose signal lock less often) in obstructed environments (forests, canyons, indoors, dense clouds, etc.). When both receivers have an unimpeded view of the sky, then both perform very well.

Two new Garmin models as of 1st quarter 2004 are the 60C and 60CS. These are color models and quite expensive. But its' interesting to note that Garmin went to the quad helix antenna for these models citing superior sattelite reception for this antenna.

For an intelligent evaluation of all GPS receivers look among the many atricles listed at www.gpsinformation.net.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/2/2004, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very interesting twist Joe. Thanks for the info and the link.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 2/2/2004, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh no Joe, now I have a tough deicsion to make what new toy shall I get, a new (smaller) camera - love Tom's or a new GPS the color one? Decisions, decisions...

GB Rolling Eyes
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/2/2004, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You got your new camera Tom?

I want to shine!
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 2/2/2004, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane, it's way cool - so small just what I always wanted! Very Happy

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: