ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Just a few quick notes from the REI class last night
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Just a few quick notes from the REI class last night Reply to topic Reply with quote

Light weight back packing presented by Bob Molen. I found it to be a fun and interesting class. I took some notes and some of this may be old hat to some of you but to others it may be new and different so I decided to share what I took notes on.... not organized in any special manner except just what I happened to scribble! Keep in mind that he is into product development so has a few things that the average hiker does not have ready access to.

* his school of thought was to get your weight down to 20% of your own body weight for a good comfort level- others state 25% is good I guess it is personal preference and how much time and money you are willing to spend on the process...

*His sleeping bag is actually bottomless-he had is specially made- to save weight. Down being the lightest weight bag squishes if on the bottom and becomes much less effective there fore is wasted on the bottom of the sleeping bag so he had more put on top and left the bottom off completely but does have a down filled air mattress that he inflates... the combination of the air and down keeps the down fluffed and helps it be much more effective... -also specially made for him!-

* always use multi-use items when ever you can... convertible pants... no need to carry a shovel for "cat holes" use your trekking poles....long johns for sleeping and can be layered under clothes during the day for warmth....

*dehydrated foods should be taken out of the original package and repackaged in zip lock baggies and can be hydrated right in the bags. Weighs much less and less bulk and the bags can take the heat. He had this little foil like "oven" he used to put them in to keep them warm while they were "cooking" that he got from http://www.antigravitygear.com/. I liked it a lot and will probably look into getting myself one... Have yet to check out the site though. He also carries a small bottle of "squeeze butter" to add taste and calories to dehydrated food -he re-bottles it in a small bottle and carries only enough for the amount of days he intends to be out. Also available at the antigravity site is a small alcohol burning soda -or for the more mature taste buds-beer can stove!

*That is also one of his hints... carry small versions of every thing you can get weather you buy a small sample size or re-bottle what you have... he had a small finger tip tooth brush and I don't remember where he said he got it but I happen to know you can get them at pet stores in the doggie isles.... they are inexpensive and weigh next to nothing!

*If you carry rope for hanging your bag or other uses carry masons cord that you can buy at home depot rather than the heavier bigger stuff.... it works just as well as long as you aren't trying to save a life with it and it weighs a lot less and has less bulk...

*He suggested aquamira for water purification rather than a big bulky pump. It comes in two small bottles and is a chlorinating system used by many large cities on their water. Says it tastes much better than iodine tabs! you can carry a light weight platypus bag to collect and treat water in. much lighter than carrying a bunch of water every where.... we all know that around here that is not always an option cause there is not always water available to treat! But when there is it is a good idea!

*use the water bottles you buy water in at any quickie mart instead of nalgene bottles.... they weigh a fraction of the nalgene bottles and you can squish them after you are finished with them for less bulk or refill and treat the water...

Some websites he recommended for good info and sources of equipment are as follows

*yahoo.com the backpacking light group
*backpacking.net
*backpackinglight.com this is where I found the aquamira
*REI learn and share links

Th-th-th thats all folks!

hope some of this helps some of you!

Any thing that I did not include that Tracy and Gabriele found useful you two should feel free to chime in!

I want to shine!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good note taking, Diane! Agree

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackingLight/message/87399

This was your very own thread on the yahoo Backpackinglight group Smile Answers are down at the bottom. Mary
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh my look at that! All that wonderful advise and I didn't even know it was there! Thank you so much for all your advise in this matter Maryphyl! I really wish I could have talked my self into one of the lighter packs... I know it would have been much more comfortable but I just don't see how I could have done it....Maybe some day.... when I am wiser.... and have found ways to be comfortable with out all the trappings of comfort....

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a feeling, that when Diane can scrape up some extra coins, she will be looking for a lighter/smaller pack for shorter treks. I did exactly that myself.

For now though, I (<-- note the I) think she made a good, sturdy decision buying that pack. It's on the inexpensive side, has exactly what she was looking for, and can survive a small nuclear blast.

There is a plethora of lightweight stuff to put into that pack out there... rather than eliminating the "comfy" part of the equation.

I've often wondered exactly how comfy all you "lightweight packers" really are out there.

...as a disclaimer, I'm not looking for a who's right argument here...

Shades
Suzaz

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Diane,
I'm so excited for you and all this fun stuff! I think you should carry this pack for practice on all of your future hikes. I can give you my water and food to carry and Harley might like a hike or two with you taking his stuff, too....whadda think?

I've been searching for lightweight camping equipment for your at a reasonable price....check this out!!! What more could you want?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2983007397&category=48940
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do they make this stuff for Ken, too?
Suzaz

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, but Ken is a he-man and he doesn't like the lightweight stuff....heavy duty--GI Joe type stuff
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suzaz wrote:
Yes, but Ken is a he-man and he doesn't like the lightweight stuff....heavy duty--GI Joe type stuff

Are we talking about Ken, or Kent?

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What pack did you buy Diane? I am missing this here.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Woah! Suz! way cool! I am gonna rush back over there and place a bid right away! You are a true friend to be lookin out for me that way!!!! Chuckle

I want to shine!

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Suzaz wrote:

Are we talking about Ken, or Kent?
Rolling Eyes
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now all we need to figure out how to make the water lighter. It's great to purify it but first one needs to find it on the trail her in AZ. That is always the heaviest part of the trip for me.
GB Crazy
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Now all we need to figure out how to make the water lighter.

http://www.westpeak.net/outdoor/water/ Chuckle
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Quote:

Now all we need to figure out how to make the water lighter.

http://www.westpeak.net/outdoor/water/ Chuckle

Whaddaya do? Spit in them? aaaacchhh-poooo!!!

Shades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: