ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Beef Jerky
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Beef Jerky Reply to topic Reply with quote

Several people have asked me for my recipe for beef jerky so here it is. If you like it kicked up a few notches then increase the Tabasco and add extra red pepper flakes or add some Habanero pepper sauce. You can also add some cayenne pepper. I prefer mine with more black pepper flavor than hot so you'll have to play with the spice combo I listed.

Mr. Green

Trish

Trish’s Beef Jerky

3-5 lbs London Broil, slice into ¼” strips
I usually tell the butcher I’m making jerky and he slices it for me

½ cup teriyaki or low sodium soy sauce
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
½ cup Flat Tire beer (Sam Adams or Guiness Stout works too)
2 Tbsps minced garlic
1 small onion, finely minced
3 Tbsps Liquid Smoke
3 Tbsps brown sugar
2 Tbsps Tabasco sauce
2 Tbsps fresh ground pepper
2 Tbsps Kosher salt
2 Tbsps summer savory
2 Tbsps oregano
Red pepper flakes (optional)

Trim ALL fat from meat. If you dry the meat with fat attached it will turn rancid!
Mix teriyaki or soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, beer, garlic, onion, Liquid smoke, brown sugar and Tabasco sauce in a large bowl. Throw meat and brine into a large Ziploc bag and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 24 hours. Mix dry herbs and spices and set aside. After meat has marinated for 24 hours, remove from brine and place in a single layer on racks, sprinkle sparsely with dry herb mix. Dry on racks according to Dehydrator directions. I have a Snackmaster Jr and it usually takes about 4-5 hours.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Suzaz

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can I just place an order instead?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ha ha ha Suz........If you bribe me with a bottle of Pinot Grigio, I'll make you & Harley a batch! How's that?

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Suzaz

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, I love Pinot Grigio....................it's going to be hard to give-up a WHOLE bottle......how about spliting a bottle?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gotta love the barter system. Better make that a BIG bottle! Sure, we can do that!

Mr. Green

Trish

Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness, what would you recommend to make jerky using an oven ?
Suzaz, If you are a teacher at Gold Canyon, I work next door.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker,

I forgot to mention that you can use your oven to make jerky too. Follow same steps as I mentioned but put the beef strips on baking racks with a cookie sheet underneath to catch the drippings. Turn the oven to 140 or 150 and cure for 8-10 hours with the oven door propped open a bit.

Mr. Green

Trish

plummer150

PostPosted: 1/25/2004, 1:19 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agreed! Amazing stuff.
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/25/2004, 1:21 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, I love Pinot Grigio....................it's going to be hard to give-up a WHOLE bottle......how about spliting a bottle?

Agreed, good stuff.

PostPosted: 1/25/2004, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish, do you know if jerky can be made in a smoker?
Suzaz

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Nighthiker---

Quote:

If you are a teacher at Gold Canyon, I work next door.

I am not a teacher in Gold Canyon but I sure love that school on Peralta's Trail. I would consider switching districts if it was an option but when you get as old as I am and have taught this many years it would be a very poor financial decision.....so I just live in Gold Canyon.

where do you work?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cindy wrote:
Trish, do you know if jerky can be made in a smoker?

Not sure about that Cindy. I suppose you could try it as long as you can keep the temp relatively low (below 180 degrees) but I've never attempted doing it this way. It would probably be awesome with some mesquite chips on the fire!

Trish

matt gilbert

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cindy, yes you can, it works just like in the oven. just keep the temp low. Smoking meat is probably one of the oldest methods for preserving it. If you do it in a smoker its actually just as good if you just salt the meat and then smoke it with whatever wood you like.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suzaz, work at the fire station last week though I will be working another station. Tried the hot Beef Jerky from MidWestern Meats in Mesa. Quite hot.
Suzaz

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, did we manage to vote in the construction of a new fire station out here? I tried to take a drive to find the proposed location with no luck....any info?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: