ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
ok all you experienced packpackers....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shelter--painter's dropcloth-4 oz
Pack--kelty vapor 45-- 18 oz
Pad--Prolite 4--16 oz
Bag--WM Highlite--16 oz

Platys for 1 gallon of water-- 4 oz

O2 rainsuit 9 oz--this is for warm as well as rain

Bathroom-- 8 oz this includes all small items like half ounce flashlights and toothbrush and first aid stuff

The total for this is 4.75 pounds.

Cold food for an overnighter is easy.

I will have one pound of food and two quarts of water leaving the rim.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, Lizard.... thank you for that bit of info... please remember I am just getting started at this buying equipment stuff... Most every thing I have now I inherited from my family..... I am new at all this and don't want to have to do it all again next year so I want to do it right the first time... although as I posted a minute ago on another thread I am not gonna be able to keep up with the latest and greatest toys... I just can't afford that... so I need to do the best I can the first time around and stick with it...

One lesson I have learned is never listen to the sales people cause they are gonna sell ya what they can... every time I come here with a suggestion I find out that it wasn't really the greatest suggestion after all..... Good thing I come here before I buy.....

I want to shine!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
IMO I would not skimp on the big three- tent, sleeping bag or pack- as the quality of these items makes a huge difference in how enjoyable your hikes are.

Wise, wise words. I have three backpacks to choose from, two Thermarest pads, two sleeping bags but just one tent now. I have seen some lighter tents that look pretty good but have not done that yet. I guess it all depends on what you are doing and trying to accomplish. I carry a one inch Thermarest when going into the forest but it does not pad enough for sand or rock or real cold temps, so I choose my 2" Thermarest LE for that. I have two Western mountaineering bags, one for all around use that must be about 2 lbs (25 degrees IIRC) and one for real cold that comes in a 3 lbs. My camera eqipment weighs as much as Mary's whole pack and load. That is why I choose a pack that is designed to carry about 35 to 40 lbs (food and water included and I take a lot).

I like to carry an 8x10 siltarp and a tent. A tent is what I want for it's comfort but if we get caught up in some hard rain and are in camp, I like the tarp for lounging and cooking. I love cooking and eating on a backpack more than I do at home.

I go off on big dayhikes so I use the top pocket of my pack which makes a great fanny pack and a 1/2 pound daysack made by eagle creek.

When I do get a lighter tent that will cut my load by 3 lbs maybe. The tent I have now is roomy though and when we take our two dogs, it is a must.

Bottom line, everyone has different reasons for going, different goals when the get there and different reasons to take what they do. I use every item I take in cold climates and warm save the first aid gear, the few dedicated survival items and the extra food. If I don't use those, it means things have gone right. Very Happy

Oh, and I like to be warm and comfortable while living out there. I have seen some shivering folks out there and that takes a lot of energy, both mental and physical.

There is no perfect sleeping bag for every trip nor is any perfect anything for every trip. Redroxx has a system that I can relate to. Choose your equipment for your particular trip and plans.

Sorry if this confuses you Diane. You have a real good start. The lighter you can keep it all for a journey like the Canyon is definately better. The temps are warmer at the bottom so a light bag will most likey do. I would try to get closer to what Maryphyl is doing for a hike that. Doesn't have to be that extreme but vertical trails are going to be harder with weight by far. On a flatter trail, weight makes a lot less difference. Linda carries 35 lbs with no problem. I wouldn't let her take that into the Canyon though.

That's one point of view.
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And one more thing Diane, don't wait to test your equipment for a hike like the Canyon. You need to go out on an overnighter closer to home. Preferably more than one.

We like to go out for the 3 or 4 previous weekends with our full packs and just hike for a couple of hours each time to get used to those packs and their different straps etc. Makes things a lot more comfortable on the real journey.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with you Glen that what one carries must be chosen for the conditions and what one aims to do. My base weight for a winter hike we took not long ago was 11 pounds and would have been higher if my boyfriend had not been carrying some communal things. My smart alec list above assumes nice warm May weather--if that should change then so will the list.

I see that you have chosen several light weight items like your sleeping bags. All I ever mean to suggest is that when making a new purchase you buy the lightest item that will do the job. Sometimes we choose a product that will last because it is expensive to replace. Many of the things I take such as the light weight rain wear are essentially disposable. I try to be very careful with all of my gear but even then stuff happens.
Lizard

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is one suggestion for a sleeping bag. This bag is lightweight at 2 lbs 4 oz. and according to the folks at the backpackinglight yahoo group the quality is relatively good. $110 is also an amazing price for a down bag, it would be a great price even for a synthetic fill bag.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=86896&prmenbr=226
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of the things all this analysis does for one is to benchmark the ultimate choice; and if you find one on sale, you can jump on it.

Example: I've got Diane's ultimate sleeping bag: Western Mountaineering Apache Super Dryloft. This bag is the best of both worlds-waterproof/ (Dryloft is Goretex) breathable, and premium goose down. Since you don't need a second, synthetic bag for wet weather, you save that cost. This bad boy has a 59" girth, which would be spacious for Diane, 6" of loft, comfort rated to AT LEAST 15 degrees, stuffs to 8x15" and has a total weight of 2 pounds, 4 ounces.

Oh yes BTW, it's 400 bucks.

On the other hand, it is hand made in by real craftsmen in California-not Shanghai, will last for 20 years, and Diane will practically float up from Grandview Point, it's so light.

If you find this one on sale, take it and run. I think BoyNHisDog snatched a couple of these on sale a couple years ago, and he's probably still gloating. -R
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love em! I have the Western Mountaineering Ultralight and the Sequoia. I use the ultralight mostly. We just got some of their fine Flight jackets this year. These are extremely warm and oh so light.

If you use a tent like we do, you can take them in wet weather. It really takes quite a lot to wet out a good down bag. I keep it in a sil-nylon stuff sack.

About a hundred years ago I once slept under a two foot hangover from a roof behind a gas station on my way west. A friend and I were walking/hitching. Rain fell hard and cold that night but my bag stayed nice and dry inside. It did get a bit damp but we just found a dryer and threw the bags in and it was a good as new. That down bag lasted me 20 years. It was nowhere near the quality of WM. I don't think Linda or I have ever had anything but down and we have ended up in some horrendous storms.

I do like the idea of the dryloft, makes it better.

They go fast at the sales so get there early.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: