ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
ok all you experienced packpackers....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, it's like Glenn and I have been saying -
1) Decide what kind of camper/backpacker you are
2) Look at appropriate backpacks for your style
3) Try them out with a typical load

Rinse, wash, repeat.

Once you become more experienced like Glenn and a few others, you can buy additional packs to cover different hiking/backpacking scenarios.

That is the beauty of spending a little extra scratch on a really nice backpack - they last forever so you don't have to keep spending your money on replacement packs for the one that got worn out - you can instead spend you dough on ANOTHER pack! I get all giddy just thinking about it.

Now if I only didn't have to spend all my hard earned cash on plumbers, car repairs, clothes for the kid etc. - then I could actually follow up on buying a new pack myself.....

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Lizard

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the gear guide, and Backpacker magazine in general, caters to traditional backpackers carrying heavy loads. The majority of the manufacturers listed in the gear guide are corporations who shell out big bucks to advertise in Backpacker. The most innovative and lightest gear is usually (but not always) made by cottage industry manufacturers who aren't listed in the gear guide.

I really suggest posting on the forums over at http://www.backpacking.net . They will direct you to the gear that will best suit your needs. My experience is that the advice you can get for free from enthusiasts on backpacking forums, is far better than the vague, bland, advertising-tainted advice that Backpacker doles out.

My $.02.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Almost all of my gear is military surplus and I am very happy with it and have not had any problems. I have set my gear down next to non military gear and noted the rodents did not chew holes in my gear. Had a turtle climb into the canteen pouch down along the San Pedro a couple of years ago.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another note from me- check the quality of the stitching and stays- If you do any off trail and end up having to drag your pack up cliff bands or lowering it down a rock fall you will want a tough pack. Some of the light weight stuff is great on an open trail but will tear in the rough stuff. I retired a Lowa pack after Buckskin Gulch, Round Valley Draw and Bull Valley gorge in utah- too much dragging thru the slots. But I would ruin lots of other gear rather than not have those experiences!!!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GOT IT!!!!!!

I got a kelty coyote 4750!!! I really like it and it fits well. As the name indicates it is slightly bigger than 4000 cu and it has every thing I wanted in a pack. And most importantly it fits well! I am very happy with my descision! I can't wait to try it out! Look out Grand Canyon here I come!!!! ( in May that is!...) Thank yo all very much for all your input and help in guiding me on this. It was a major decision and I had been looking for months and just had a hard time with it. You guys made me see a few tings I was not willing to see before and I appreciate it!

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad you found something you really like Diane. Looks to be quite functional too. Kelty has really changed their models this year.

Now, on to which gear to put IN the pack... Chuckle
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks great Diane.

That is light for such a full suspension back and it looks to be made for a hiker like you. Good choice. Enjoy!
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I already have the majority of that! There are a few things I may need but I am pretty set for the most part. Ron on the other had still needs a bunch of stuff.... oh that and I want to get a new sleeping bag and let him have the one we have as it is only a +30 and I know I am gonna need something warmer.... I was looking at a slumber jack +10 yesterday when I was packing up these packs for trail and it had a compression sack with it. It was way cool but they wanted a $100 dollars for it.... I will undoubtedly have to look around for a while to see if I can get a better deal on one similar. I really liked the compression bag idea. I may have to have a couple of those! Oh my GOSH!!!!! This is gonna be trouble on the old wallet isn't it! Laughing

I want to shine!
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like a nice pack but 5# 8 oz is not light. You will be buying a new one soon said the broken record..
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane, it's only a temporary "trouble on the wallet", once you have the gear and it's good stuff, you won't have to worry about it for a long time. Laughing That is until you see something that you think would work better for you! I had 5 tents at one time. I'm down to 3 tents and a bivy. Congratulations on the new pack. Mary
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah thats the one! Actually though that is last years model and this years model carries 4750 instead of 4000 and the side pockets are designed so they don't stick out to the side like that they are built in more so as not to look like saddle bags!

Yeah Maryphyl I know.... I tried on the other ones... the really light ones, and with the equipment I have I just couldn't see my self carrying one of those... as Glenn said earlier in the thread I am of the camp that prefers to be a little more comfortable in camp and I end up carrying a bit more on the trail to make it happen...

Perhaps as I become more experienced and have found great ways to scale back and still have my comfort I will one day be able to get a much lighter pack but at this time I just don't think it will work... I didn't just ignore your advise I promise. I thought it through well...

I want to shine!
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will try to help you on Horseshoe Mesa--My whole pack weight without food and water will be about 5 pounds. MP
Lizard

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BTW Slumberjack is a low-end manufacturer as well. It is something you will end up replacing before too long. IMO I would not skimp on the big three- tent, sleeping bag or pack- as the quality of these items makes a huge difference in how enjoyable your hikes are. $100 is not going to buy you much of a sleeping bag, unfortunately.

Quality sleeping bag manufacturers include Western Mountaineering, Moonstone, Sierra Designs, Marmot, Feathered Friends, The North Face, and many others. The "in-house" brands produced by REI, EMS and Campmor are also of decent quality.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

maryphyl wrote:
Looks like a nice pack but 5# 8 oz is not light.... .

Well, it is sure lighter than my pack! Embarassed But I am getting better at putting less stuff IN my pack Wink Can't wait to get back in the Canyon... Hnak
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/28/2004, 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

maryphyl wrote:
I will try to help you on Horseshoe Mesa--My whole pack weight without food and water will be about 5 pounds. MP

Holy Hannah, what do you bring and how did you get so low? I've been told that you can go VERY light! I like light. Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: