ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
ok all you experienced packpackers....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is advice I got from the ultralight backpackers yahoo group--I have not kept up on packs for a couple of years as I am satisfied with mine. For many great pack reviews go to
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/

2003 models on sale
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/MS2100
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/EQ2000

These packs were mentioned:
http://www.ula-equipment.com/p2.htm

I am sure there are others but it is late and I am weary--Mary
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been thinking about getting a lightweight pack but the ones I'm looking at could get shredded by catclaw. However, when I'm ready and have the time for the PCT, I'll get a G5.
http://www.gvpgear.com/products.asp

There's also instructions on the site if you have the time and sewing skills to make your own pack.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.midwestmtn.com/Camping/ultralight/gg-vaportrail.htm

This one looks nice--it is more like 2 lbs 6oz.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is a brand new model from REI. I like the dual access, capacity between 4,100-4,500 ci
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47690734&parent_category_rn=4500572
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Lizard

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My experience with Jansport packs is that they are low quality. My first pack was a Jansport Rainier, and the construction was shoddy, the features were poorly thought out, and the pack did not hold up well. Jansport makes beginner's packs that end up needing to be replaced after a few years. IMHO its best not to skimp on the pack, as a top quality pack will last for dozens of years. Its worth the investment.

If you are carrying a traditional load (20+ lbs. before food or water), some manufacturers to consider are Gregory, Osprey, and Dana Designs. If you carry a light load, some of the options mentioned above by others might suit you well. I carry a ULA P2 and am very happy with it. For ultralight loads, I use a Golite Breeze, and it works very well but I would have liked a hipbelt. HTH.

Chris
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SUN_HIKER wrote:
Here is a brand new model from REI. I like the dual access, capacity between 4,100-4,500 ci
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47690734&parent_category_rn=4500572

Methinks that pack is way too heavy--MP
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
My experience with Jansport packs is that they are low quality. My first pack was a Jansport Rainier, and the construction was shoddy, the features were not poorly thought out, and the pack did not hold up well. Jansport makes beginner's packs that end up needing to be replaced after a few years. IMHO its best not to skimp on the pack, as a top quality pack will last for dozens of years. Its worth the investment.

If you are carrying a traditional load (20+ lbs. before food or water), some manufacturers to consider are Gregory, Osprey, and Dana Designs. If you carry a light load, some of the options mentioned above by others might suit you well. I carry a ULA P2 and am very happy with it. For ultralight loads, I use a Golite Breeze, and it works very well but I would have liked a hipbelt. HTH.

Chris

Chris--That ULA P2 looks really nice--good transition pack. http://www.ula-equipment.com/p2.htm
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is how much weight you expect to carry. Some of the ultra-light packs are not made to carry a tent, stove, water filter etc. I don't care what they tell you. They are for very light loads. If you are going to carry that tent, sleeping pad, jacket and stove with fuel, you will need a pack designed for that kind of weight. A pack that has a good suspension will carry the heavier load with less trouble. It won't fight you every step of the way.

I don't want this to degenerate into ultra-lighters against the camp in comfort hikers. You just need to decided who you are and what you are going to carry before you choose the appropriate pack. a two pound pack will not work well for a standard outfit. I know it will for ultra-light. Diane has already said she is taking a tent and wants to camp in comfort. That tells me right there that she needs a good suspension system.

My daypack is 2 pounds, the Mountainsmith Wraith. It is in no way acceptable for a tent, bag, stove, fuel, filter, food, clothing and a load of water. It will carry quite a lot in comfort but not the whole enchilada Diane wants.

Just go try the packs with the load you expect to carry and I guarantee that will tell you all you need to know. Figures don't really mean much next to testing it yourself. What is comfortable for one person will be terrible for the next. Different body types and styles of hiking.

Now if you are going with a little bag, tarp and some granola bars....................

Choose the pack after you settle on your gear, not before.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Methinks Diane's head is spinning right now...

Chuckle
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I couldn't have said it better than Glen just did. Some time back, when I upgraded my daypack (I'm in the old "if there's a 1% chance you'll want it, take it" school), I asked the pack experts at Summit Hut about a new "Go-lite" brand pack. After a discussion similar to Glen's post above, they indicated that they had received a number of returns on ultralite packs from customers who tried to load more than the pack was designed to support; and those who subjected the pack to extreme abrasive conditions (like West Fork Swim, or Glen's slot canyon photo above). The Osprey Ariel, which is designed for a woman's torso, runs 4#8oz, and the Lowa, Gregory and ArcTeryx model's I have looked at. FWIW, my Osprey pack is the most comfortable one I've ever worn. -R
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My pack is a Jack Wolfskin- A Euro pack-- It does not have built in hydration but I devised a system. The top lid comes off as a fanny pack, it has a front "bib" that is a pocket and zips into the internal compartment as well as access to the "sleeping" bag compartment. It rides well on me- I'm 5'5" tall. You need to get any pack fitted. I borrowed a Dana design pack once on a couple days in utah and had blisters over my hips- not pleasant. I like to carry around 30-35 lbs max.
I've taken this pack on a week long solo foray into Robbers Roost Canyons in the Dirty Devil region in Utah, 4 days this last fall in Grand Gulch, and a couple of week long excursions along the Escalante River and in the San Rafael swell. I carried a tent, food, water filter, bag, pad stove, sleeping clothes ( I tend to be cold), a book to read, lamp, first aid kit, and an MSR dromedary bag to carry water and a Nalgene cantene for water to be carried back to camp to filter or boil. I had no problem with sore knees or back.
As an overnighter I carry an Osprey pack that I can stuff with a bag and MRE- no tent or fluff stuff.

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

maryphyl wrote:
SUN_HIKER wrote:

Methinks that pack is way too heavy--MP
That pack may be a little heavy and I could do without the compartment for the sleeping bag but if my pack wasn't only 3 trips old I may consider purchasing it.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Behold! I got home tonight and what was in the mail???

The new Annual Gear Guide from Backpacker Magazine....

Many new options for Diane... Crazy Crazy Crazy
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet, you beat me to the posting! I spent a couple of hours looking through Backpackers Mag. tonight, it has great comparison charts on boots, tents, sleeping bags you name it Saves a lot of leg work.

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx, I like the looks of the Jack Wolfskin packs and I like your versital style. I could live up in that sandstone canyon country of southern Utah. A good rugged, well built pack is best for me as I am hard on my equipment. The good stuff lasts me for decades though.

Careful with that Gear Guide you two. That issue is dangerous on the pocket money. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: