ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
ok all you experienced packpackers....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 9:48 am    Post subject: ok all you experienced packpackers.... Reply to topic Reply with quote

I need your opinion...http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.85036/dept_id.L2~311/qx/product.htm can I get a three nighter in here and is this a decent pack? Why or why not?

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Di,

If this is the "only" backpack you're planning on purchasing, I would look for something with around 1000c.i. more. You will be happy you did. 3200c.i. really isn't a lot of room.

The features are right on the money though. That is a killer price for what it is. Just remember, don't skimp on price if you see something that will fit and is functional.

Take a look at the Kelty RedCloud 4500. I camped with a pretty tiny gal over the summer that swears by it.

Just my .02
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yeah, it has the three things I am looking for in a pack... hydration ready, access from bottom as well as top and is light weight but I was worried about capacity... Want to be able to get at least a three nighter in, which means also being able attach tent, bag and thermarest as well as every thing else I will need inside....

editing to say ... so Tom, in your wanderings if you see anything that fits this bill and is a decent price let me know ok!

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Will do.

As a side note... your PeakBagger is around 2300 c.i. and that pack is only 900 c.i. bigger. You would be hard-pressed to fit a 3 nighter in it. Of course the "light packers" will beg to differ, but I doubt you will be a "light packer".

I'll look around a bit.
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yeah Tom, youknow me to well....

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is a good candidate for you Di,

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=31799619&prmenbr=226

Check it out, but don't snooze...
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

but it's not hydration ready and you can only get intoit from the top<~~~~insert whiney voice here

I want to shine!
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

by the way Tom that was a good comparison in the peakbagger.... that is a lot of help putting it into perspective thanks

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can show you how to make it hydration ready (I have a 5400 c.i. Kelty), and with all the pockets, you really won't need to go into the main compartment much.

Just food for thought... and quit whining already. Whiners just might be hog-tied and left for the desert aminals...

Cool

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hate when I have to do this but I agree with Tom on the size. My pack is 4200 ci's and it's perfect for me. I've packed for 5 days with it in Oregon in Oct. I would advise against buying any pack by mail unless you can find it at a store and go try it on first, then order it.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane, I would be leary in buying a pack on line without knowing if it will fit you correctly (see if you can try one on locally first). Packs are build very differently and most of them are designed for men. I finally bought one designed for a woman and it has made all the difference for me.

I also differ with Tom (sorry Tom), but I have used my 3000ci for a 6 day trip and I discovered that I didn't even use everything that I brought. The basics are shelter (tent, tarp, or bivy), sleeping bag and pad, stove, water filter, water. These items are the bulk of your stuff (you can use compression sacks to reduce the bulk of a sleeping bag and extra clothing). Figure on about a pound a day of food. Get backpacking cloths that can be layered and double in uses (zip away pants are both pants and shorts reducing the amount of clothing you need to bring).

This is what has worked for me.

Mary
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with the ladies. You can find the Coyote (and others) at any P.O.O. or REI. Go try it on. I'm sure you will find that one comfortable (geez, I sound like a Kelty rep).

As far as Shi is concerned, I knew the "light packers" would chime in...

Cool
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Laughing *whispering to Diane* But it's fun to pack with the heavy weight packers......they bring things that are fun and convenient, like little tables.

Tom, your pack is almost half my body weight....that would kill me on a 15-30 mile trip. I think it would make me even shorter. Although, I have to admit, I used to carry a pack like that (twice in my life), but I've since have grown older and lazier and realized that I really don't need much when I'm out there. Mary
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Little tables????

These are the folks who stop in Flagstaff to buy their boots for a 5 day Grand Canyon trip, and carry a Lodge dutch oven down to cook the roast beef and potatoes they are hauling.

My pack is down to around 30-35 pounds, from a whopping 55 on the first day of an 8 day Wind River trip.

4'6" is not eactly a light pack by current standards, you can find lighter, probably not for $50 tho.

Go light, it's weight every step of the trip.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:
Little tables????

These are the folks who stop in Flagstaff to buy their boots for a 5 day Grand Canyon trip, and carry a Lodge dutch oven down to cook the roast beef and potatoes they are hauling.

Yeah? So? Your point is?? I'm known to bring all but the kitchen sink on a couple nighter. All fits neatly in my pack, and balanced.

rofl

Now, the lengthier treks are a different story...

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: