ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Planning for the next WFW? Great deal on a dry sack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 9:03 am    Post subject: Planning for the next WFW? Great deal on a dry sack Reply to topic Reply with quote

Found this on REI Outlet. I thought they would be great for the next WFW.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47695187&storeId=8001&catalogId=40000008001&langId=-1

At $14.93, I can't wait to try it out.

GTG
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's a killer price.

I actually picked up two of this type of pack for that WFW trip from SportsAuthority for around $20:

http://www.marine-products.com/singlestore.php?cid=1813&pid=4414

Alas, thinking there would only be "a couple" of swims, I opted for the old garbage bag thing at the time. Yep, it's a swimmer!

Next time I will definitely reevaluate my choices of gear...

Cool
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom, is this the same size as what you have?

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/24/2004, 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dcornelius wrote:
Tom, is this the same size as what you have?

Yes, it is. Plenty of room for a day pack and then some. I have a feeling though, that the dry pack choices are limited to certain SportsAuthority stores. Although, the price in this add ain't that bad.
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/25/2004, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is another way to use the garbage bags... Put the bag inside your pack, put all your stuff inside it (pad the sharp things with clothes or something), and twist the top of the garbage bag over and tie it. Your pack will get wet, but as long as there aren't any real sharp things inside it, the pack will protect the garbage bag, and hopefully all that is inside... Hank
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/25/2004, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I assume you all are talking about your West Fork hike--what went wrong with the garbage bags?
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 1/25/2004, 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The military ALICE pack liners also work very well as dry bags. They come in two sizes, the large one is about the size you're talking about (maybe slightly smaller) and the small one is about a third that size. I found mine at laradas for six and three dollars respectively. They are made of rubberized ripstop nylon (I think) and hold up pretty well, I used a combination of different sized ones for all my equipment on my Tonto trip. It was three days with about 30 mandatory swims and my equipment only got damp a couple times on the extended swims. Heres an example of one on ebay (slightly overpriced though) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2219893655&category=588

The only problem with these is that they are a) used and have a tendancy to have small leaks in them (fortunatly this can be remedied relatively easily with an airmattres repair kit) and b) not designed for complete submersion (but then again, neither are all those other dry sacks...)
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/26/2004, 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maryphyl--

On the WFW we all had garbage bags and they would have been fine if it weren't for the fact that there were so many swims and the bags, through the process of loading them and unloading them, all got small holes in them and most every ones stuff ended up soaked by the end of the last pool despite all the effort to keep it all dry.

If there had only been one or two swims the garbage bags wouldda been fine.

I want to shine!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a very similar looking dry bag and it works very well. We recently took a trip to the tropical Puerto Vallarta and found some of the transportation and organized trips could add up to an expense we were not wanting to lay out every day so we found the bus station and went out about 6 miles. When we saw this island beckon, we stood up and said " te paras por favor!" We got off and searched for a way down to the beach and found a rocky deserted beach. I stuffed my Mountainsmith Wraith and our dry clothes into my Seagear drybag that looks just like that one above and about the same size as well. I towed it on a small inflatable tube. We snorkled for about an hour and a half. Every once in a while a wave would wash over and getting through the surf both ways was a drenching experience but the bag kept all of our goods bone dry inlcuding camera equipment. We washed back up on our little beach and made some lunch. Total cost of the bus trip and snorkel excursion came out to 4 pesos apiece for the bus and about another buck for the food we bought at the market and brought out, so less than two bucks for the time of our lives.

Oh, this bag is something I will keep. It is a good option to have. Were I going on your West Fork Swim Marathon I would most likely take my shortie wet suit from the descriptions I have heard from you. Mr. Green

BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Correction, my bag is a Seal Line San Juan 30.

This One
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
That's a killer price.

I actually picked up two of this type of pack for that WFW trip from SportsAuthority for around $20:

http://www.marine-products.com/singlestore.php?cid=1813&pid=4414

Alas, thinking there would only be "a couple" of swims, I opted for the old garbage bag thing at the time. Yep, it's a swimmer!

Next time I will definitely reevaluate my choices of gear...

Cool

Tom, we might have laughed at you for your choice in packs on that one, until you showed us your dry stuf and your pack model. Wink

BoyNhisDog, again I have to live vicariously through your written tales of your adventures. Maybe you'll join us on our 2004 WFW.

GTG
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Tom, we might have laughed at you for your choice in packs on that one, until you showed us your dry stuf and your pack model. Wink

Oh, how silly of me... didn't I tell you the deal came with a swedish model sherpa???

My mistake. The sale is over now though. Ya snooze, ya lose. Shades
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/27/2004, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey all--this is supposed to be an August hike--really hot weather and NO rain. You suffered because it was too dang cold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: