ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Group Hike Canyon Lake to Peralta trailhead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 1/4/2003, 11:53 am    Post subject: Group Hike Canyon Lake to Peralta trailhead Reply with quote

Saturday, January 25th

I'm planning on a group hike from Canyon Lake to Peralta. It will be a shuttle hike and cars will need to be parked at both ends. There may be a camp out the night before and a barbeque or restaurant visit afterwards.

Expect this to be an all day hike. In before light, out after light. It's around 15 miles or so. I'll double check on TOPO.

I'll update as I can. I hope to see a bunch of y'all there.
GTG

Update - 01/14/03

Just for a recap -
We're planning on hiking from Canyon Lake TH to Peralta TH.
The distance is supposedly 14 miles, but it seems longer. I'll try to get better measurements beforehand.

We'll need to leave Canyon Lake Trailhead no later than 7:00 AM.

(See page 296 of the Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness, Trip 53 in reverse.)

We will need to get a fairly accurate count of people before we go.

We'll have to park a proper number of cars at Peralta to get us back over to Canyon Lake.

I've mentioned camping - I have considered camping at Carney Springs and then driving over to Peralta, parking cars, then driving around to Canyon Lake. Not everyone will want or need to camp there. Some of us may decide to camp at the lake or something. In any case, I'll be in charge of one 5 passenger + gear vehicle left at Peralta.

We will need enough vehicles to carry all of us back around. (Carlson and Stewart say it's a 30 mile car trip.)

Depending on how many go, we may need to break up into groups. This will happen naturally anyway, because not everyone hikes at the same rate.

I have 3 FRS radios that I'll bring. If anyone else has a pair, great. They work great for telling others which route to take and determining distances from each other.

Bring plenty of snacks and water, and prepare for the weather.

Someone needs to suggest a decent restaurant for us to converge upon afterwards. (Sounds like a job for CatValet.)

I'll have an assortment of beverages in a cooler in my car.

I hope to see a big turnout for this one.

Post a reply or PM me to cover any holes I've left.

Update - 01/18/03

Thinking of El Vira's is making my stomach growl.

List of confirmed hikers (so we can arrange vehicles)

(Canyon Lake to Peralta)
GTG
azhiker96
TommyB
kurthzone
Mike
jmzblond
Higgs
Cactuscat
DWH

(First Water to Peralta)
CatValet
Valet2

Who else? A couple of you emailed me, come on now.

Thanks,
GTG

ck1

PostPosted: 1/13/2003, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Where is the planned camping area? Just curious...haven't seen how our weekend is looking at this point, but thought I'd ask...just in case I(we) are free...

"The Journey is the Destination"
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 7:54 am    Post subject: details Reply to topic Reply with quote

I plan on getting some details together this evening.

GTG
GTG

PostPosted: 1/14/2003, 10:20 pm    Post subject: big hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just for a recap -
We're planning on hiking from Canyon Lake TH to Peralta TH.
The distance is supposedly 14 miles, but it seems longer. I'll try to get better measurements beforehand.

We'll need to leave Canyon Lake Trailhead no later than 7:00 AM.

(See page 296 of the Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness, Trip 53 in reverse.)

We will need to get a fairly accurate count of people before we go.

We'll have to park a proper number of cars at Peralta to get us back over to Canyon Lake.

I've mentioned camping - I have considered camping at Carney Springs and then driving over to Peralta, parking cars, then driving around to Canyon Lake. Not everyone will want or need to camp there. Some of us may decide to camp at the lake or something. In any case, I'll be in charge of one 5 passenger + gear vehicle left at Peralta.

We will need enough vehicles to carry all of us back around. (Carlson and Stewart say it's a 30 mile car trip.)

Depending on how many go, we may need to break up into groups. This will happen naturally anyway, because not everyone hikes at the same rate.

I have 3 FRS radios that I'll bring. If anyone else has a pair, great. They work great for telling others which route to take and determining distances from each other.

Bring plenty of snacks and water, and prepare for the weather.

Someone needs to suggest a decent restaurant for us to converge upon afterwards. (Sounds like a job for CatValet.)

I'll have an assortment of beverages in a cooler in my car.

I hope to see a big turnout for this one.

Post a reply or PM me to cover any holes I've left.

Thanks,
GTG
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Todd, is this still for the same w/e as originalliy planned??

And if everyone is into pizza, Panhandlers Pizza right there on the south side of Hwy 60 between Gold Canyon and Peralta Road is pretty good. And its close to the Peralta T/H which is where we're finishing. And I don't know about anyonw else, but when I finish a long hike, I am ready to eat right then and there!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
GTG

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 7:29 am    Post subject: Same hike time, same hike place Reply to topic Reply with quote

It will be Saturday, January 25th.

Just remember, we have to drive back to Canyon Lake to get vehicles. I'm not sure how easy that will be with a day of hiking and half a pizza under our belts.

Hope to see you there,
GTG
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay, well there is the restaurant there at the marina where the cars will be parked at Canyon Lake. I've never eaten there so I dont know a whole lot about it, but I have heard that the Jalapeno Poppers are pretty good!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That restaurant is decent, but nothing to write home about. I've only eaten a late lunch there, it could be better in the evening.
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
That restaurant is decent, but nothing to write home about.

That's been my experience too. Idea There's always Dirtwater Springs in AJ on US 60 about a half-mile west of Idaho Rd. on the north side. Great burgers and ice cold adult beverages. Laughing . I usually stop there for my post Supes 'real food' experiences. It's the kind of spot that doesn't mind backpackers that have been out there for a while.

-Nealz
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, Jaimi - didn't we just make other plans for the 25th? BBQ and hot tub is that day, isn't it?
I guess we could reschedule that since Kristyn can't go that day, anyhow...
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 12:18 pm    Post subject: 1/25 hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

Todd etal:

My old Dick and Sharon Nelson Hikers Guide to the Superstitions (now out of print) says it is 14 and change, so it really does seem longer....My Carlson book is loaned out so I couldn't check that....

The crowd situation might be eased if some of us elect to start at the First Water TH. That hike is about 11.5 so it would shave off a few miles. Those of us who hike a bit slower (and don't get up easily at dark-thirty) might find that a First Water entrance puts us at the Aylors Camp junction with the Boulder Canyon Trail about 15 minutes before you get there, just enough time for a sit down break before heading up to Fremont Saddle.

Those who really want to abbreviate the hike could start at the Bluff Springs Trail TH. Sleeping

Apres Hike....another option is Elvira's Mexican in AJ. A number of us met there prior to a Kollenborn talk last year, and salsa stained our white *** website shirts....It'll never make the Michelin guide to fine dining, but has the best green chili in Az, and the beer is cold. Beer -Randy
GTG

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 4:10 pm    Post subject: dining and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm up for any of these fine dining establishments.
Now, who can park, shuttle, camp etc?

GTG
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: dining and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
I'm up for any of these fine dining establishments.
Now, who can park, shuttle, camp etc?

GTG

I'm in and can do all three, but my S-10 is probably not the best for shuttle; only seats three. I definately want to camp though.
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Todd... what might help w/ the large group and the long shuttle is to have two groups, one starting from Peralta to Canyon Lake and one starting from Canyon Lake to Peralta. We could all eat and break together when we meet somewhere towards the middle, exchange keys, then drive the vehicles to the dining place that we decide on. What do you think of that??

And Kelly... I was just planning on us doing this hike with the group and then coming back to my place afterwards. We can either eat w/ all of them, or bbq... its up to you guys.

GTG

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 8:48 pm    Post subject: trek Reply to topic Reply with quote

If people want to break the trek into two groups hiking towards each other, that's fine, do whichever is most convenient.
I believe it would be more fun if we went one way as a group. It would help names to faces for the group and who knows we might make some new friends.
I'll plan on doing a shuttle myself. Canyon to Peralta.

Elvira's sounds like a winner to me too.

Thoughts from the group?

GTG
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Aw shucks. Crying or Very sad I gotta work so I'm out on this one. Still planning on Reavis Ranch tho.

-Nealz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: