ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
WFW 2003
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
mike
PostPosted: 7/11/2003, 4:35 pm    Post subject: WFW 2003 Reply with quote

No, it's not a wrestling match!! It's the 1st Annual West Fork Wade! (should've been 2nd... I tried to put this one together last year, but had to bow out because of a pumpkin knee problem! Mad ) Ck1 asked me about this thing recently, wondering if I was thinking of giving it a shot again this year. Well, the knee's doing just fine these days and I've been wanting to do this one for a long time, so here we go!!

What it is:
    The West Fork Wade is a canyoneering adventure which begins at the top of the rim and follows the West Fork of Oak Creek 12 miles to the trailhead at Call of the Canyon. There is a possibility it will require a few short swims, but there is no technical climbing required. An alternative hike will also be available, which is the normal out and back beginning at Call of the Canyon. This optional hike can be extended beyond the "get your feet wet" point, which is about 3 miles in. If you've only hiked West Fork to this point, trust me, you've missed the most awesome scenery there. Beginning at this point, there is a short wade of about 1/4 mile, after which you'll be in and out of the water the rest of the way, as far back as you want to go. At about 5 miles, you'll encounter the first pool, which can be traversed on the left side. Beyond there, I have no idea, since that's as far as I've gone.

When:
    I'm looking at mid September, either the weekend of the 13th or the 20th. The water should still be warm enough for swimming then, and the chance of monsoon rains should be minimal. There might even be some fall color in the upper part of the hike. The 12 mile hike will require a shuttle. To do this, we have to drive to Flagstaff, head west on I40 to Woody Mountain Road, then south to the top of West Fork. The best bet would be to camp the night before, either somewhere in Oak Creek Canyon, or on top of the rim. On the morning of the hike the 12 milers could be dropped off by the out and back group. The out and backers could then drive to Call of the Canyon to do their hike. At the end of the hike, we would meet up at the lower trailhead and head into Sedona for a celebration bottle of Oak Creek Amber Ale and dinner!

What you'll need:
    The usual hiking gear: water, food, etc.
    Rain gear
    Tevas or water shoes (if you're going to wade)
    Quick drying clothing
    A strong stomach (if you're going to kiss Hooli, or watch while CatValet does)

The questions:
    Who's interested?
    Which option?
    Which weekend?
    Hike on Saturday or Sunday?
    Do you own, or are you, a goat?
    Would you prefer to camp in Oak Creek Canyon, or on top of the rim?
    If you're doing the out and back, can you help with the shuttle and how many riders can you haul?
    Are you willing to pose for a photo while kissing the top of Hooli's noggin?

Let's hear it!
-Mike

evenstar

PostPosted: 9/19/2003, 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, Jaimi and Cindy, being a parent myself, Crazy even tho' mine just turned 38 (AAARRRGGGHHHHHH! How did that happen? Shocked ) I can remember those days. Sorry you can't make it, but I understand.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Hnak

PostPosted: 9/19/2003, 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Here's what I have so far. Any corrections, let me know. Also, who's sticking around for dinner Saturday before heading back to town, and who's staying till Sunday morning?

I'm also doing the top to bottom, but I need to head home Saturday night...

Hank
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 9/19/2003, 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry Hnak, didn't mean to leave you off the list.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 9/19/2003, 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We're staying....also bringing some foods for Sat pm and sunday am. How many drivers do we need to north end?
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 9/20/2003, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Impatiently waiting to hear all about the AZ Hikers adventure!! *tapping my toe*

Upsidedown <--trying to distract myself, not working, hurry up ...

I know all of you had a great time, so go ahead rub it in. Very Happy

Details! Soon!

Sherileeaz Cool
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 9/21/2003, 7:06 pm    Post subject: great time, swim team and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

The camping as a group was great as usual.

I can say the hike was the most difficult hike I have ever done.
There is now a Arizona Hikers Swim Team, you can only be on the team if you've completed this hike with 5 plunges under your belt. This group pulled in together and completed what I would call an extreme event.
Arizonaheat's map put us at 14.2 miles of beautiful canyon travelling that lasted a quick 12 hours.
The first of 5 or so major pools that required a swim registered a cool 45 degrees farenheit. The others felt the sam after that.
Watch out for flying snakes in Oak Creek Canyon, I have 9 witnesses of the attack. They appear to throw a rock first to distract you from their attack.

GTG
ck1

PostPosted: 9/21/2003, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

rofl

I'll post a trip log as well, but I gotta say, this was a fantastic day!

"The Journey is the Destination"
ck1

PostPosted: 9/21/2003, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey...how was THE PLACE?

"The Journey is the Destination"
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't think of any other people that I would rather have done this hike with....despite the challenge of it all, everyone hung in there like pros! I was getting pretty fried near the end, but always nice to know that there are others suffering with you!... Especially after I saw Kurthzone take on the Ozzie walk and CK1 asking me if I could please walk over and pick up his pack since I was standing and he was sitting at the trailhead when we finished. I feel your pain! Let's hear it for me and Diane, the FIRST two women to earn the title of "AZHIKERTOUGHWOMEN". Twisted Evil 45 degree water, baby, thats all I am gonna say. Breakfast at The Place was very good, there was ALOT of food on the table. Needless to say, I replaced my calories burned on the hike rather quickly. This was the best company I have been in in along time and I am thankful that the good angels watched over us and guided us on a safe and successful trip! Razz
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
5. Stan is a stud.

Nah.....he eats TOFU Wacko
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am so jealous right now...words fail.

This sucks.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
I am so jealous right now...words fail.

This sucks.

My words exactly, I'll just live vicariously through Diane and Sande!

Sherileeaz Cool
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
Hey...how was THE PLACE?

Colin you were absolutely correct! That "Hungry Man Breakfast" was one magnificent calorie laden dining experience and of course there is no way I could have finished it. Also, I have not experienced too many eating establishments that could properly poach an egg. They not only could, but offered it soft, medium or hard and cooked them the way I ordered them. Thank you for the recommendation.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sande J wrote:
... Especially after I saw Kurthzone take on the Ozzie walk...

Sande I'm still doing the Ozzy Shuffle, but the good news is I'm down to lesser milligrams of ibuprofen.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
ck1 wrote:
5. Stan is a stud.

Nah.....he eats TOFU Wacko

Have you been reading my journal? Good memory on that URL. Never said I ate it, only that my daughter gave me that book. But that aside, what do you think makes one a stud?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: