ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Summertime Desert Hikers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who hikes in the heat?
I hike in the heat
60%
 60%  [ 23 ]
Not me- I go North or dormant
39%
 39%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 38

dnoe

PostPosted: 7/17/2006, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hay DesertDog- Have you ever thought of doing labarge canyon in the summer? Starting from canyon lake then throudg the river bed north of battleship mtn. . Its a 5 mile hike ane there is a natural spring( to my knowlege always has water). I have done it in the summer before an the was plenty of water.
DesertDog

PostPosted: 7/17/2006, 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dnoe wrote:
Hay DesertDog- Have you ever thought of doing labarge canyon in the summer? Starting from canyon lake then throudg the river bed north of battleship mtn. . Its a 5 mile hike ane there is a natural spring( to my knowlege always has water). I have done it in the summer before an the was plenty of water.

No, but that's a good idea.

My first backpack ever was Boulder Canyon from the marina over to Garden Valley via 2nd Water, so I got to see a bit of the creekbed from above, and it is spectacular.

I guess if the monsoons have dumped any rain in the mountains, there should at least be some filterable water around, regardless if it was enough to recharge the springs.
Randy

PostPosted: 7/26/2006, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hike year-round in all types of weather. To tell you the truth, I prefer mind numbing heat to mind numbing cold. However, understanding my abilities and being prepared are keys to a good day hiking this time of the year. Water consumption and water conservation are the two most important things I can do for myself. What I mean by water conservation is: First, my body requires water to digest food, therefore, I do not eat for several hours before my hike. Second, I cover-up from head to toe: big straw hat, bandana for the neck and ears, a light wool long sleeve shirt, gloves, long khaki cotton pants, good boots, and of course, sunglasses (ok, sunglasses don’t conserve water - do they?). Your body works like an evaporator, if you run around in shorts and a t-shirt you wont benefit as much from the cooling effects of your sweat; your body works harder and you consume more WATER to stay cool. Third, I do not push myself to get anywhere fast! A steady easy pace where I am not breathing through an open mouth is another way to conserve water.

Since water is my only meter of choice, I do not use time or distance to factor my actual time out or distance traveled. Once I mark a truck way-point with my GPS, I meander here and there until my water is near half gone. I don’t worry about it too much, I just sip until it is near half gone. At this point I turn the GPS back on and head straight back to the truck. I have never run out of water using this method. And, I believe I have never dehydrated myself using this method.

Last but not least, When it is hot, I like to start in the late afternoons. Why? Because, it rarely gets hotter in the late afternoon to early evenings. If I begin at 5:00pm @ 100 degrees f, chances are it will be cooler on my trip back. And since I use my water as my trip meter “near half gone” as a turn around point, I use less water on the trip back when temperatures are normally dropping. Mornings work in the opposite, and for this reason I DO NOT START OUT EARLY WHEN IT IS COOL, AND THE FORECAST IS CALLING FOR RISING TEMPERATURES. You can get yourself into a lot of trouble because you feel good on the way out, but get hammered by high temperatures on the way in.
Tommy

PostPosted: 7/26/2006, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the great tips Randy! (welcome, by the way.) I also would rather hike in heat than not hike at all - but yes, the heat does add a whole new dimension to the adventure.
Randy

PostPosted: 7/26/2006, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

trip4182 wrote:
Thanks for the great tips Randy! (welcome, by the way.) I also would rather hike in heat than not hike at all - but yes, the heat does add a whole new dimension to the adventure.
Hey Tommy,

Thanks for the welcome! I can't believe you guys are really here. I know of only a few people that enjoy the out-of-doors as much as I do. I am shocked to see this many members. Are you guys for real?

Randy

George Orwell
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/26/2006, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Umm, yeah, we're really here.

Check the events section for some upcoming group things. Climb aboard.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/26/2006, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Are we for real? Silly question! Of course we are and we have a great time and see some really great places! Come join us some time! There's bunches of us!

I want to shine!
IGO

PostPosted: 7/26/2006, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've pounded out a few bazillion miles around Kingman. I lived in Golden Valley for 10 years where I hiked just about every minute I had a chance. When I lived in Kingman I only EVER knew 2 other backpackers the entire time. I live in Vegas now. Welcome. Hiking
Matter of fact, be ready for me to pick you up at 2:30PM next Friday(8/4) to walk 14 miles with us through West Fork of Oak Creek Canyon. Bring food and a bag. Food for me and a bag for you 'cause we'll be gone 'til Sunday. Very Happy Yes
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/27/2006, 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome, Randy! As for us being here, well, some of us are not quite all here, Silly, but we still participate! Laughing

I just met some of the folks in person for the first time as I, too, live pretty far from Phoenix. After corresponding with them for six months I must confess I was a bit nervous when I showed up at their campsite, but they are nice folks and fun, too!

Your heat hiking advice was excellent. I still don't want to hike in the heat anymore, but up here in the White Mtns. "heat" is relative. The locals whine when it's over 90!
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/27/2006, 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We're actually an eating group. Sometimes we walk around a bit to build up our appetites...

I agree about the term 'heat' being relative. Besides, 90 IS hot!!! Wink
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/27/2006, 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, the food was great at Big Lake!
Randy

PostPosted: 7/27/2006, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you Tom, I will.

Randy
Randy

PostPosted: 7/27/2006, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Are we for real? Silly question! Of course we are and we have a great time and see some really great places! Come join us some time! There's bunches of us!

Thank you Diane, I will.

Randy
Randy

PostPosted: 7/27/2006, 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
I've pounded out a few bazillion miles around Kingman. I lived in Golden Valley for 10 years where I hiked just about every minute I had a chance. When I lived in Kingman I only EVER knew 2 other backpackers the entire time. I live in Vegas now. Welcome. Hiking
Matter of fact, be ready for me to pick you up at 2:30PM next Friday(8/4) to walk 14 miles with us through West Fork of Oak Creek Canyon. Bring food and a bag. Food for me and a bag for you 'cause we'll be gone 'til Sunday. Very Happy Yes

Hey IGO,

I’ve been here for three years and I am having a blast. You must know the GV area like the back of your hand. For me, the surprises out here never quit.

Thanks for the invite to your West Fork of Oak Creek Canyon outing. I have 3 overnight Backpacking and overnight primitive camping goals in various stages of planning to reach before I can join you. I plan (I want, I want, I want...) to Backpack the length of the Hualapai Indian Reservation from the Grand Canyon West to Highway 66, then,
wander around various places in Red Rock Canyon for a few days, and finally, spend a good 3 to 4 days in the Mojave Preserve: Fixed camp, nomad, hike, SLEEP, SLEEP. I should be finished by August 20 and I’ll be ready to join you soon after.

Randy
Randy

PostPosted: 7/27/2006, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Welcome, Randy! As for us being here, well, some of us are not quite all here, Silly, but we still participate! Laughing

I just met some of the folks in person for the first time as I, too, live pretty far from Phoenix. After corresponding with them for six months I must confess I was a bit nervous when I showed up at their campsite, but they are nice folks and fun, too!

Your heat hiking advice was excellent. I still don't want to hike in the heat anymore, but up here in the White Mtns. "heat" is relative. The locals whine when it's over 90!

Hey azbackpackr,

I was actually shocked into immobility after I stumbled across arizonhikers.com by accident. I’ve been looking for a puppy, so I googled “desert dog” and wound up following a link to the site. I just love the internet! I know a lot of people believe camping is a motorized sport; they pull up the motor home, plug in the televisions, stereo’s, etc., etc., etc. I guess everything has a place.......

White Mountains? I’m going to have to see where you are in minute.

Randy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: