ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Gear I like and Gear that didn't make it (for me)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am a bit paranoid and use both the mini works and the aqua mira actually....never drank water that didn't taste good though!

I want to shine!
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Letty, for raising the specter of consumption just before Christmas! Multi

You actually got me thinking about a new Osprey Pack. I use an Aether 60 for dayhiking (since I carry most everything except tent, sleeping bag and thermarest on long day hikes). My Aether is absolutely the most comfortable pack I have ever worn. I'm thinking about the Crescent 90 for multi-day and overnight hikes, and selling my Gregory.

I use Boreal boots, but agree with Glen that Scarpas are bombproof. I have Mountain Hardwear tents and sleeping bags and am very pleased with them. A Western Mountaineering Bag would be the utmost, however. -Randy
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any one notice the plural tense that Randy used when discussing most every piece of equipment here! Laughing Such a gear head!

I want to shine!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Any one notice the plural tense that Randy used when discussing most every piece of equipment here! Laughing Such a gear head!

Hey, it makes it easier to find stuff when you're packin'... Spinning

Shades
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
You should see his garage...
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For day hikes I use much lighter footwear with good ortho inserts but when really going rugged the heavier boots make things more pleasant.

Osprey does make a really good line of packs but for day hiking I have found none better than my Mountainsmith Wraith. I actually forget is on my pack and it does carry the essentials well. It is not big enough for you Randy.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
"Slap some okra on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight!"
-Goatboy Gartman

rofl Cracked Up
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wondered when somebody was gonna catch that... Chuckle
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daypack - Ultimate Direction Warpspeed Pack, I absolutely love it! It came with a 128oz. bladder. It has the role up type bladder though but I haven't had problem with it leaking unless it's 100% full on in my Gregory Backpacking Pack.(Which it's not designed for) It's longer and rides on your hips, Camelbacks seem to ride to high for me and give me a back ache. It also has 2700ci of space so you lightweight people can go on your overnighters with it

Shoes - I'm hit or miss with shoes. Currently I went back to New Balance and have a pair of 807's (I think) I also had a pair of 806's and 470's which both faired well for me.

Sleeping Bad - a 32 degree SlumberJack, weighs 2lb14oz stuffs to about 6''X12'' I can't complain about it. I paid $20 for it. I also have a Mountain Hardware 2nd Dimension 15 degree bag. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, it's 3lb 4oz(I think) and has an expandable baffle to give you an extra 8 inches of room, not to compressable though.

Leki Trecking Poles- the one with the forward grips. They have faired me well so far and take a good amount of abuse. It's sometimes tricky getting them to screw tight again but I've always managed too.

Backpack - Gregory Reality Size Large about 4500ci about 4-5 lbs. I wish it was a bit bigger, rides great now that I learned how to adjust it. (Thanks HIG)

Headlamp - Petzl Tiki Plus- has the 4 leds. works great battery lasts long. I had a pinceton tech-solo headland with the xenon bulb (I think) works good with new batteries but had to change batteries 3x in 1 hour one time because it's used so much juice.

Water Filter - MSR MINI-WORKS EX It is awesome. Never failed me, even a Paria when 2 other peoples filters failed, it's field servicable, isn't the fastest pumper but always works, screws on to a naglene bottle.

Stove - MSR Pocket Rocket. Great stove for the money! Boils 16oz of water in under a minute. Plus when you have a full canister you will find out why they call it the pocket ROCKET!!!

Cookset- MSR Duralight series 1.5 and 2qt pots. Paid $16 at REI garage sale. I just boil water in it. I wouldn't mind a taller skinnier pot that I can fit my stove and fuel in easily.

I think thats all my gear.
Lizard

PostPosted: 12/8/2004, 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The older heavy stuff I used to carry:

Gregory Wind River- Absolutely bomber pack, carries heavy loads well. When I headed out into the High Sierra loaded up with 14 days of food and ice axe, etc. I was carrying probably close to 65 lbs in this pack. Very comfortable for that sort of load.
Jansport Rainier- frame busted up on and the zippers starting breaking not long after I bought it . Not recommended.
North Face Cat's Meow- Good all-round sleeping bag, love the brushed inner lining
REI Sololite- Really comfortable size for a solo tent, but a bit saggy and prone to condensation when sealed up.
MSR Whisperlite-reliable stove, but finicky. Took some getting used to before I figured it out. I had an older model, the new ones with the shaker jet would likely be much simpler to use.
PUR Hiker-This filter works well when you first buy it, but I've found it rapidly clogs up and becomes really difficult to pump. I broke a handle on one of them trying to force water through a clogged pump.

The stuff I carry these days, depending on the trip:
Golite Breeze- this pack is tougher than it looks and carries okay if you pack it well (use a sleeping pad to create structure). However the lack of a hipbelt is a real drawback. If I were to get another superlight pack I'd probably get a gossamer gear G5 for its hipbelt.
ULA Equipment P2-An exceptionally well made pack with perfectly thought out features and a good frame. My favorite piece of gear Cool
Western Mountaineering Ultralite- Again, another great piece of gear, though very pricy. It can be a bit confining too, as it sacrifice some internal size to save weight.
Campmor 550 Goose Down Mummy- I carry this on trip where I expect my gear to take a real beating, like canyoneering. Its a fantastic sleeping bag for the price, but it has a tendency to shed some feathers, so it probably won't last as long as some down bags.
Tarptent Squall-An absolutely palatial tent for one person at under 2 pounds. Its big enough for two people plus gear. Because of the canetary cut and careful design it actually stands up better to wind and sag than the tent I used to carry.
Homemade Popcan Alcohol Stove- I'm a big fan of this as well, because it suits my specific needs. The perfect stove for a solo hiker that just needs some boiling water in the evenings.
Aqua Mira-Simple light and reliable. Waiting 10 minutes for the chemicals to mix is a bit of a pain, but its easier to do this than to force water through a clogged filter.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 12/8/2004, 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

mike wrote:
-Goatboy Gartman

Tom

Quote:

I wondered when somebody was gonna catch that...

-Goatboy Gartman

I've been looking at that for weeks now. Goat
I saw Randy last night at REI, shopping for a new pack!

GTG
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/8/2004, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Must have an empty spot in the garage...
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/8/2004, 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"ULA Equipment P2-An exceptionally well made pack with perfectly thought out features and a good frame. My favorite piece of gear."

I'm liking my P-2 pack, couldn't remember the ULA name when I wrote mine up. I put a length of closed cell foam in the pack to give it a bit more shape and structure. Also use the foam for a sittin pad.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 12/8/2004, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Must have an empty spot in the garage...

I will, after I unload the four packs I no longer use!!!! May list 'em here in Classifieds.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 12/8/2004, 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:

Quote:

I wondered when somebody was gonna catch that...

-Goatboy Gartman

I've been looking at that for weeks now. Goat
GTG

Yeah, me too! I guess some people are just more observant than others... Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: