ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
31 African Spur Babies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 9/19/2008, 6:32 am    Post subject: 31 African Spur Babies Reply to topic Reply with quote

My parents accidently had 31 babies (three clutches) born within the last 2 weeks. We are looking for placement in good tortoise loving homes.

These little babies are silver dollar sized right now but will grow to be BIG. (100, 200 or even 240 pounds) They do require a lot of work for the first few years but become pretty independent after that.

Let me know if you might be interested in a couple.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 9/19/2008, 12:24 pm    Post subject: baby torts again Reply to topic Reply with quote

Again, very tempting but I know better than to take one. Good luck with these,.... if only I could.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/19/2008, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Holy crap, a 200lb turtle and you have 30 of them. That's 6,000lbs of turtle. Don't they make turtle birth control or something?
Suz

PostPosted: 9/20/2008, 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Holy crap, a 200lb turtle and you have 30 of them. That's 6,000lbs of turtle. Don't they make turtle birth control or something?

Well they're only about 1 oz right now so they are really tiny and cute. Turtle birth control is a good idea but we have not had much luck with that. My parents have thought about relocating "the male" the problem is that he's a bit aggressive....and would not be good around small children or curious dogs....and this just happens to be the only turtle out of their 100+ that has been aggressive.

I have 2 of my own that are a few years old now and require very little attention. (Condo and Shelly) so I have a great use for all the produce that goes bad in my refrigerator.

It is a 100 year commitment but we prefer to see it as a family heirloom opportunity. Laughing

11 are placed in good homes.............20 more to go.
I will happily foster a few if anyone wants to give them as Christmas presents.
threedogz

PostPosted: 9/20/2008, 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a zoo already, however, my pet sitter has access to others who may be interested, I'll send her an email.

Heidi
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/20/2008, 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, they live to be 100 as well. Hope you can find homes for the rest of them.
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/20/2008, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd take one, but I hate outliving my pets! Mr. Green
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Suz

PostPosted: 9/25/2008, 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

20 are placed----a few more to go!!
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/25/2008, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If your parents lived in Oregon it would cost about $250 to neuter that male turtle. http://www.swanimalhospital.net/html/pricing.html
Might be worth checking into with a local reptile vet rather than being in the same position next year, maybe with more wee ones! Shocked
threedogz

PostPosted: 9/25/2008, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The turtles will make a good gift for a new baby, the next generation may be able to live to 100 with no problem.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 9/26/2008, 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
If your parents lived in Oregon it would cost about $250 to neuter that male turtle. http://www.swanimalhospital.net/html/pricing.html
Might be worth checking into with a local reptile vet rather than being in the same position next year, maybe with more wee ones! Shocked

$250 vet bill or a five minute Google search for a turtle soup recipe? Hmmm, what'll it be, what'll it be? . . . . .
Suz

PostPosted: 9/26/2008, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
azhiker96 wrote:

$250 vet bill or a five minute Google search for a turtle soup recipe? Hmmm, what'll it be, what'll it be? . . . . .

Eek I can HARDLY believe that a tree huggin guy like you even suggested that!
Shame on you! No
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 9/26/2008, 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
Google search for a turtle soup recipe?

I once had snapping turtle soup and it was super-gross. I'm going to the Cayman Islands in a few weeks and they have a sea turtle farm there. Part of the purpose of the farm is to raise turtles to release into the wild to help replenish their populations. However, the turtles are also raised for meat and you can get different turtle dishes there. I haven't tried it the previous times I've been there. Maybe I will this time! The baby turtles are really cute, and I have a rule of thumb when it comes to eating critters: The cuter it is, the tastier it is. So if I live by my rule, tasty turtles will be in my belly within a few weeks! Very Happy
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 9/26/2008, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz is going to kill me when she reads that previous post. It figures that we are going rock climbing tomorrow. Maybe I won't make it to the Caymans afterall.
Suz

PostPosted: 9/27/2008, 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's bad juju! for YOU-you. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: