ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Northface Tadpole 2-Man Tent
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/4/2005, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Northface Tadpole 2-Man Tent Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've come across a phenominal deal on a North Face Tadpole 2-Man Tent and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this particular tent or any North Face tents in general. It's a little heavier than I'd like at just over 4 lbs, but the specs seem right and reviews I've read are good. I trust your opinions more than an anonymous online review though. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/4/2005, 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the Kelty Cricket 2 which is essentially the same tent, mine may be a bit heavier though. The Kelty is an even 5 lbs packed weight. I like it because it's freestanding, you can sit up in the front of it, nice size vestibule. Good in the wind or rain. I wouldn't call it a 2 person but it will hold one comfortably with your pack inside also.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/4/2005, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The site i just saw on the tad pole list it at 4pounds 15oz packed weight so really they are the same. You can get the Kelty for around $80 I think so if the North Face one is anywhere around that I would go for it for it unless you looking to go lightweight.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/4/2005, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Tim... the deal on it is that my credit card rewards program offers it and the North Face Cats Meow bag so, essentially, they would be free!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/4/2005, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heck yeah go for it then!
Daryl

PostPosted: 1/5/2005, 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a stansport tent that is identical to those.

Positives: free standing, easy to set up, very storm resistant, and way cool with the rain fly off.
Negatives: a lot of condensation and the poles don't break down far enough (they are about 18" when broken down). North Face or Kelty may have fixed those problems though.

Also, it's kind of heavy, about 6 pounds, and the two people need to really like each other if they are going to both sleep in there. I mostly used it as a solo.

PostPosted: 1/5/2005, 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Daryl & Tim. This tent looks like it's just under 5 lbs, packed weight. A little heavy, but managable. I'd most likely be using it as a solo, so the size won't be a problem. I guess the bottom line is, if I don't like it, I'm not out anything and I could always give it away or sell it on ebay! Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/5/2005, 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have 2 cheap tents that are both in the 3lb range but I still bring my Kelty at 5 lbs if that tells you anything.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/5/2005, 8:33 am    Post subject: Northface Tadpole 2-Man Tent Reply to topic Reply with quote

That tells me a lot! It Sounds like you're pretty happy with it then! I just ordered it plus the cat's meow sleeping bag. The bag is just under 3 lbs and rated at 20 degrees.

Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/5/2005, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool beans Ken! I need to find a place that will give me a free tent!

I want to shine!
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/5/2005, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ken:

OK, now that you've ordered it, additional comments are somewhat moot, but here's my two cents worth anyway. Some people, including me, may argue that North Face as lost a tad, and has been coasting on their laurels a bit as newer, more agressive R&D focused companies have captured a larger share of the market. Mountain Hardwear was founded by a former NF Exec who also took some people from both NF and Sierra Designs with him. Nonetheless, NF is still a top tier company, and their logos are prominently displayed on the gear of expeditions to the Himalayas, Andes and other "Death Zone" destinations. Yes, the big companies provide free gear and underwrite expeditions, but people like Ed Viesturs will not carry junk to places where gear failure can prove fatal whether they are paid to do so or not. I recall a Russian womens' expedition to the Pamirs, where all died after their tents failed in a storm at 20k, so concerns are valid.

I used a NF three season tent for over 15 years and it took on some terrific storms at high altitude in New Mexico and Colorado. Also used their packs and some other gear as well. The Tadpole is a variation of a design that NF has had since about 1980, so obviously it works. One of the things that the higher priced lines such as NF do, is upgrade pole materials, so I doubt that is an issue with the one you have coming. The older NF tents used continuous sleeves for poles, which were strong but cumbersome to put up, especially in inclement weather, where time counts. They now use the clips orginally created by Sierra Designs and also used by Mountain Hardwear.

The CatsMeow has been one of the top rated bags in its temperature range for years.

Your credit card company probably got a good deal on "last year's models". No big deal. I'd say you did well. -Randy
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/5/2005, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ya gotta love that Guy! Chuckle

I want to shine!
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/5/2005, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ya mean Me???? I'm doin' a Daddee!!! (that means sitting at work with your mind wandering to other places you'd rather be, like in your tent on a great hike or at the annual parking lot sale for gearheads at Summit Hut Applause
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/5/2005, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Randy for the info on NF. Everything I've read indicates that both the tent and bag are very good pieces of equipment, but it's nice to hear it from folks on this site who have no axe to grind, just practical experience.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 1/6/2005, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just as a follow-up... I just browsed the REI site and found that the NF Cat's Meow bag won a 2005 BACKPACKER Readers' Choice Award. Combine the award with your real-world comments, I feel pretty confident that I'm going to like it and get a lot of good year's use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: