ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
North Face Beeline 900
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/19/2004, 12:40 pm    Post subject: North Face Beeline 900 Reply to topic Reply with quote

So what do you guys think of this?
30 degree bag
1lb 3oz
zipperless

There is one on ebay for $164, MSPR is $299.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 12/19/2004, 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, it's a down bag, right? At one lb 3 oz it's tempting. But I swear by my cheap synthetic 25 degree bag; it's been warm though partially soaked in the rain, etc.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/19/2004, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a cheap 25 degree synthetic now and it just isn't cutting it for me. It barely made it to the mid 30's at the canyon and I was pretty cold. I was thinking that this bag would make a pretty good summer bag. I looking for a 15 degree bag now thats pretty compressable and lightweight. Down seems to have the advantage in both those categories just can't get it wet.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/19/2004, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim when you say zipper less does that mean it's a cocoon? If so there would be zero ventilation. Just a thought. It is nice to be able to open a bag up part way sometimes.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/19/2004, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

also lacks a hood. you could try the Mountainsmith Wisp on sale for $149

what i do
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/19/2004, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good points guys.
Ok here is what I think I have narrowed it down too.
1st Choice: Mountainsmith Vision
2nd Choice: Kelty Light Year 25
3rd Choice: Montbell Down Hugger #2

#3 is pretty pricy and I found the kelty for a low price of $125, but I can't seem it find the Vision in Regular length on sale anywhere.
Any of you price surfers out there know of any deals?
doug

PostPosted: 12/19/2004, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got a Kelty lightyear 25(reg) form cabela for $109 with shiping last night.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 12/19/2004, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, I have a Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger but mine is the #3, it's great but I'm a cold sleeper, should have gotten the #2. I love how it hugs your body and eliminates cold spots. Another huge plus is the size it stuffs to. You really get what you pay for on that one.

Good luck!

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/19/2004, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Just got a Kelty lightyear 25(reg) form cabela for $109 with shiping last night.

Wow thats the best I've seen for sure. Probably will order it tomorrow unless I can find a deal on the Mountsmith somewhere.

Thanks

TIM
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 12/20/2004, 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim,
If you like the bag, I don't know if I'd dismiss the MS bag because it's a long....
The weight penalty is minimal and the extra 6" or so at the bottom makes a good place to keep fleece & other clothes warm... helping to avoid that morning - YAAAH, that's COLD!
..just a thought

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/20/2004, 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh Kurt! I never thought of that! Stuffing your clothes in the bottom of your bag to keep them warm! I have plenty of room in my bag for that! Thanks!

I want to shine!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/20/2004, 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, I use the Lightyear 25 and have been very happy with it. For that price you can't go wrong it is a steal.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/20/2004, 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah but the mountainsmith vision is still $191 compared to $109 for the Kelty. or should I be comparing the 30 degree wisp($160) to the 25 degree kelty?
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/20/2004, 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can also get the Lightyear in the long 6'6'', that is what I have and like Kurt says that extra lenght is nice, at least in my opinion
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/20/2004, 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I went ahead and ordered the Mountainsmith Vision. Thanks for your input everyone and Kurt thanks for the link to the deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: