ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Gear I like and Gear that didn't make it (for me)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 12/2/2004, 5:50 am    Post subject: Gear I like and Gear that didn't make it (for me) Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just back from Anza Borrego I find every backpack trip a sort of experiment. I usually don't take new gear(not all new--just backpack) on a rough trip but did this time and thought I'd give my thoughts- feelings. Please ya'll share yours--

My pack--Osprey Aether 60- small-- this pack for me is the bomb. Hauling 2 gal of water and my other "stuff" I felt almost no weight on my back. When I unloaded it to "daypack" status it felt somewhat lighter but didn't change how it rode. Its' fairly lightweight and not a big weeks long pack but that suspension is excellent. I was never sore in hips or shoulders.

Stove--MSR pocket rocket---I like it, fast, not the smallest but cranks it up

Hydration--MSR dromedary with tube-- durable and stuffable in the pack--no leaks to date. The screw on top is somewhat bulky.

Boots-- LaSportiva-- good fit toe box-- sux in heels and that's why I am walking in sandals this week. My Raichles blew up after utah and are gone, so back to the Montrails.

Sleeping bag--20 degree Western Mountaineering Ultralight down, I usually sleep cold but this bag is good esp with a bivy which can increase your temp a few degrees. 1.5 lbs and packs down with compression. I also have a zero degree Mountainsmith which is the fluffiest down I've ever seen and is under 3 lbs; it does not pack all that small.

Sacks--Picked up some sil compression sacks with built in straps at Summit Hut. Light, slick and will crank things down for you. Multi sizes- kinda pricey but I really like them.

Bivy/tent--MHR Conduit Sl--so far this bivy is very breathable and no condensation problems, I carry a tarp or large garbage bag. Haven't had it in really heavy rain. My tent is an MSR Hubba single--amazing interior room and height--plenty of storage in tent and easy cooking area under fly in rain. Best weight- 3 lbs. Packs really small though.
Needs lots of staking in wind, it leans all over the place and the fly does not come down low so hello dust.

Day pack--a Camelback Isis--also a good weight carrier in a small pack with lots of pockets and compartments. Can carry a good bit of water and gear in it to although mainly a warm weather daypack, might get stuffed with winter gear. I like most of the weight thru my waist belt and this one does a good job.

Camera bag--made one out of the lid of a heavier old backpack---strap it onto the front using the shoulder straps. Holds camera, and snack food and sunblock or small first aid. That way can eat, take pictures, bandaid without taking off the pack and all that stuff.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 12/2/2004, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pack - Arcteryx Bora 80 -small - Rather large for shorter backpacks but fits me like a glove - allows me easy packing. Rides wonderful - no sore spots and has taken all the wear and tear real well - no fraying so far - 4 yrs and many rough miles. Downside: Rather heavy at 6+ lbs but I have not yet found a lighter pack that I like ...may be I should look harder Confused

Like the fact that the top is detachable and coverts to a usable day waistpack with moderate room for some exploring.

Stove - Primus Yellowstone - 7+ yrs Love it -- Food is primarily from trailfoods.com that allows me to get by with just a pot for boiling water.

Hydration - Old style camelback 100 oz + Nalgene ( since it fits my filter). Served me well but I do not like the new style Camelback so I will be moving to MSRdromedary once this dies..

Boots - Vasques for me -- Fits and wears well. I have not needed to ever breakem in. Just retired my sundowners Sad but have a lighter ( Breeze ?) one. Have Vasque Alpine for my extended trips up tall mountains ....

Sleeping Bag - REI Kilo - 30+ ? Packs down fairly small to about 2 lbs. Seems to work for me ...

Tent - Sierra Design Ultralight - works out well for me but is rather tight. It allows me to sit up at one end so I am Very Happy. Has been quite bomb proof. Needs to just tack down the poles - stones or stakes work well. Couple of large trash bags for pack storage. Moderate space under fly ...I even cooked under there this last time when we got rained on.

Camera Bag - Itty bitty LowePro Digital camera sac that has a velcro fastening system which allows me to fasten it to the pack waist belt fro easy access. Zip lock bags for waterproofing
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 12/2/2004, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Equipment Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool, Redroxx and Desertgirl! You both know what works. I saw Desertgirl's equipment choices on our Canyon trip.

BTW I miss Summit Hut, usually pretty good stuff/info.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/2/2004, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Desertgirl- I believe your current Vasques (if they are the same ones you took with you for Paria) are Ions. I have a pair myself. I tried the Vasques Breezes and had to take them back the gave me a large amount of pain in the back of my ankle.

Pack is a Kelty Coyote. Nice bag with lots of room. A bit heavy but for a first bag I like it. Top also detaches for a waist pack and is hydration ready. Also has a big ole zipper on the front for easy access to everything with out having to dig every thing out of the top!

Sleeping bag is REI sub kilo 0 degree bag. A bit heavier than some but it is after all a zero degree bag. 700 loft down filling

Hydration is camel bag 100 oz bladders but will also go dromalite when these die.

Tent is Sierra Designs Light Year. this was my first one woman tent and I was so proud of it! I have since begun to lust after others as any self respecting gear monger would but I can't really complain about it. I would like it to have two doors and be about a lb or more lighter though.

As far as my camera bag goes I am not really sure who makes it but it snaps on to my shoulder straps and Velcros shut and has a tiny pocket to carry extra memory and battery. I love it! Mostly I love the tiny little Pentax camera that lives in it!

I want to shine!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/3/2004, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice choices everyone.

My favorite pack of the past couple of years has been the Osprey Aether 75 I believe. it is the one that is just bigger than the 60. Comfortable pack and relative light weight with a dynamite suspension system.

Western Mountaineering Ultra-light for me as well for a good warm, light bag.

Scarpa M3 boots for the rough stuff.

Tamrac zoom 16 holster style camera pouch on an OpTech cam/bino harness to carry the camera.
HUM469

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll throw mine in here to, just for variety's sake.

Pack - Osprey Xenith Pro - Served me well for about 6 or 7 years now. Absolutely bomb proof bag that is reconfigureable for size and use. Certainly not an ultralight at around 6 pounds, but when I can carry anywhere from 3000 to 8000(!) c.i. it has the flexability for anything I can throw at it, and I know it will not break under any strain I can throw at it. 30lbs or 75, the suspension carries exactly the same, flawless every time.

Sleeping Bag - REI... umm... been too long for me to remember the model. It is an 800 fill down bag, Gore-Dryloft, rated at I think 10 or 15, and weighs about 2 pounds. The liner is very soft, the bag very warm, and I cannot think of a time when I was cold in it. Gore-Dryloft works well to keep the bag warm even when wet, and it dries pretty darn quick, particularly for a down bag.

Tent - I don't need no stinking tent! Hehe, no, by now most of you have heard of my hammock I am sure. Lighter than a free standing tent, roomier, and more versitile than a bivy, with the ability to set up on the ground as well, it is an incredible solution that I cannot believe hasn't been used more widely yet. If you want to see it, just look at my avitar. My favorite is the heaviest (approx. 4 lbs or slightly less) that my wife can get in with me. But when they range all the way down to 15 oz, how can you beat it? When you consider not having to sleep on rocks, roots, or other annoyances then the deal just gets that much better.

Hydration is always Camelbacks. What can I say, I prefer those who start a trend, rather than follow it. Top that off with a lot of experience with the copy cat companies products regularly leaking or breaking. Not to mention that Camelbacks are compatible with any filter on the market. (It's true, just take the output tube off the filter, then take the bite valve off, and the Camelback tube with fit on the filter, well, with the newer tubes anyway)

Boots - Lowa Biomex Vertex - For many, many years I wore the same pair of Apex Global Line Meridians. They were great boots for me since I have very, very bad ankles. They had this exo-skeleton thing that was a molded part of the shank plate that reached up and grabed my ankle for support. But finally after many many years the skeleton broke. Providence stepped in though, and Lowa released the Biomex that same month. These have a plastic hinged cuff just like a ski boot or inline skate (although much lighter!), and provide more support and confidence than any other boot I have tried. And they are light! at just 2 lbs per pair, they are not really any heavier than most "light hiker" boots, but with the support of most 4 lb per pair all leather alpine boots.

Camera bag (?) - Well the question mark is for two purposes. First, because this is the first time I have seen this in a hiking list of gear. Second, because I have no idea what I should get. I just got my new Sony F-828 digital, and there really isn't too much out there that I am aware of at least considering the strange shape of the camera. I would like something to attach it to my chest ideally so that it is quick and easy to access without having to take my pack off, but it does not look like the offerings from Sony will allow that comfortably. Perhapse I will have to make my own, but if someone else has a suggestion, by all means, please share! Very Happy
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ghoster

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For camera bags I use the M rock bag, it is modular system and can be hung on your belt, or on your chest. The models fit all types of cameras. I was pleased with the service from them also. www.mrock.com
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

the big three...

golite continuum
tarptent virga
mountainsmith wisp

other stuff:
alcohol pepsi stove-brunton crux stove
GSI hard anodized cookset
western mountaineering flight jacket 800+
salomon trail runners
nalgene namibi daypack
big agnes insulated mattress

are we allowed to include a "dream list"?
that would be some arc'teryx shells and base layers
a marmot helium bag and a
canon A95 camera
petzl zipka plus

what i do
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm liking most everything Mountain Hardware, so far a solo tent, an insulateted jacket and a rain shell parka.

Raichle Mtn Trekers for boots, but they are out of production so this is my last pair.

REI sub kilo 15 degree bag

First Need Deluxe filter

Dromedary water bag, my experience with Camelbacks left lots to be desired in the taste department, and Platypi leak

Leki poles, I don't know what model, on my second set of tips

THe Petzel light with 4 little bulbs, and three settings plus flash, supposedly lasts forever on flash mode, had the black (or blue) diamond but the cord shorted out.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 12/6/2004, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My fav. piece of gear would be my Ultimate Direction Horizon daypack. It's discontinued and the bladder it came with was total crap, but I love the pack and will use it until its full of holes. (Plus I like the pretty colors... Mr. Green )

Kerouac
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This topic interests me greatly because my wife asked me for a list of items I might want for Christmas. I would appreciate your input on the following items. Any input on experiences you have had with them is greatly appreciated.

Camelbak Peak Bagger - From what I can see, many of you like this model very much.

Scarpa Zero Gravity 40 GTX hiking boots - I'm looking for a light-weight-yet rugged tennis-shoe-comfortable type of fit.

Headlamp - I have no clue!

water pump/filter - yep, clueless here too!! Embarassed

Again, I appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Thanks

Ken
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the Peak bagger and I love it! It is big enough to put any thing I could possibly need for a day hike in but it condences down if I don't need to load it completely full I frequently put 2 100 oz bladders in there with no difficulty which around here is a good thing!

Head lamp... Ihave an Auroa Princeton Tec. For no special reason it was just in my price range and was an LED and I like the way the lamp tilts if you need it to!

I just og an MSR mini works ex before I went to Paria and I love it! I like the fact that you can field clean it so you don't have to worry about it pluggin up on you. It is a bit heavier thatn some of the other filters but thats only because it is a ceramic filter instead of a paper/fiber filter and that is what makes it field cleanable!

Don't know anything about the shoes as I prefer boots due to my skinny ankles. I need the support! I am a clutz and turm my ankle frequently on the trail but have so far never gotten hurt. (Knock on Todd's noggin)

I want to shine!
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Headlamp - Petzel Tikka Plus (I think thats what sredfield had in mind)

Water Filter - I second Miniworks

Kerouac
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Boots & Packs are more of a "fit" item -I'd go with whatever "feels" right....and of course is suitable for the trips in which you generally participate.

Headlamp - Petzl Tikka or Zipka (both use AAA batteries) or the Princeton Aurora (uses AAA's as well, and is on sale @ Popular now @ $19.99 -mention Friend's Hiking Club @ checkout & receive an additional 10% savings - that is, unless you are already a "Happy Camper" member; in which case you'll already be receiving the 10%)
(be alert that some of the brands/models of small LED headlamps use hard-to-find and expensive batteries - not good if you're "away-from-it-all")

Filter - I use either Polar-Pure http://www.sierrasurplus.com/polarpure.htmlor
Aqua-Mira http://www.sierrasurplus.com/aquamira.html(both are chemical treatments) instead of a filter.
But if I needed/wanted a filter, I'd likely go with the MSR Mini works.
This is, as well, on sale @ Popular for 69.99 (of course, less the aforementionad 10%)
Whichever filter you choose, be certain that it can be cleaned in the field...as opposed to the "PUR/KATADYN" brand, and others, that use replaceable filters.

kurt

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 12/7/2004, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane & Kurt - Thanks for the advice. The hiking boots will, as you mentioned, have to fit according to my situation. I was thinking that someone here may have, by chance, tried them and could tell me if they were durable and comfortable or if there were any major flaws that would steer me away.

Ill be checking out the filters, etc that you mentioned. Thanks again for the info.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: