ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Blue Wilderness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mthorne

PostPosted: 3/12/2009, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hiking in that area is beautiful!

But, like I said, it can sporting - this poor guy wasn't quite ready for it:

-John Constable (1776 - 1837)
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/13/2009, 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I took a group to the area last summer, to Grant Creek. We didn't hike all the way down to the Blue River, though.

I hope to do a Largo/Lanphier Canyon loop in late spring, with a side trip to Bear Mtn. For that trip you do drive down to the Blue River, park next to it, wade across it, but then you are hiking up side canyons on the east side of it. I'll let you guys know if I going to do that trip.

This "Blue" area covers everything from high montane forest with fir, blue spruce and aspen, all the way down to scrub desert. It's a very large, very vast and varied area. It would take your whole life to know the area. Not kidding here. That is why the gov't. is doing the Mexican wolf re-entry project there. It also pretty much connects with the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico, although there is a north-south highway crossing the area (180) and isolated ranches, so large predators really can roam hundreds of miles.

As for bears, I have seen them on about half of my hikes down near Hannagan. They are mostly up high. Not to say they couldn't go down low to the desert parts, but they do mostly like the higher elevations.

Also important to note that the designated Blue Primitive Area covers only a fraction of the wild area in that region. It is the last Primitive Area in the US, was never converted to Wilderness status for various political reasons. Want to know more about that topic, get in touch with Don Hoffman and the Arizona Wilderness Coalition. http://www.prescott.edu/highlights/awc/index.html

Grant Creek:

Suz

PostPosted: 3/13/2009, 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's beautiful, I'm sold!........although I think I may be starting at the less green and less popular end of things. We have our eyes set on the eight miles riverside just before the confluence with exploration of the side canyons. Looks like we're going this next week.....we'll see how it goes. (Elizabeth and Don have the Topo!)

Here are a couple of things I found online

30 photos in this document
http://www.endangeredearth.org/orv/Frisco_Blue/Frisco_Blue_Appendices/Appendix%20B_%20ASNF_Photos/Frisco_Blue_Photos_ASNF.pdf
http://www.azcentral.com/specials/special06/articles/0810morerivers-ON.html

I also understand this is a great time to catch some bird migration....just need a bird book now.

I'll let you know if I still like the "really remote places" Shocked when I get back.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/13/2009, 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's more what you will be looking at:

San Francisco River:

Blue River:

See what I mean? It is definitely NOT like the area up by Hannagan Meadow! But it is very beautiful, anyway!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/13/2009, 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Incidentally, people often run the Frisco River during spring run-off, and occasionally during monsoon run-off. Commercial river trips, via Canyon Rio, and other outfitters, are offered, starting near Glenwood, NM. I have a friend who did a river trip down it. Said he woke up in the morning where he had camped on a sandbar and found mtn. lion tracks all around his sleeping bag!
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 3/13/2009, 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
I also understand this is a great time to catch some bird migration....just need a bird book now.

I have bought a few bird books in my time and my favorite is Sibley's Field Guide to Birds of Western North America.
http://www.amazon.com/Sibley-Field-Guide-Western-America/dp/0679451218

It uses illustrations instead of photos, but this allows much better grouping and description of differences.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/13/2009, 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like Peterson's Field Guide, but would like to see the one you're talking about. Sounds good.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 3/13/2009, 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
I like Peterson's Field Guide, but would like to see the one you're talking about. Sounds good.

Peterson's is excellent. It has been a classic for 60 years. I think it's a few dollars more than Sibley's. Sibley's is patterned on Peterson's. I think Suz could get by with Peterson's Field Guide to Western Birds.
http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Western-Birds-Completely/dp/0395911745
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/14/2009, 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Every time I look at my Peterson's guide, which is the last edition Roger Tory Peterson wrote and illustrated (I also own an earlier edition) I think of him, in his 80's, painting all those incredibly detailed bird pictures! He was just a remarkable man, anyway.
Suz

PostPosted: 3/14/2009, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, I think I need a bird book with photos in it.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/14/2009, 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz, I just have never seen one with photos that works as well as the Peterson's Guide with the painted illustrations. The artist is able to capture nuances that become fuzzy or indistinct in photos. Probably the best of both worlds is to have both kinds of books, (although that would be overkill on a BP trip!) I also have an Audubon guide to western birds which has the photos, and it's pretty good. I still prefer the Peterson's. The reason it has been in print for over 60 years is because it works!

I'd suggest a trip to library or lg. bookstore, so you can look at some of them. You do want one that is for all Western Birds. Don't get one that is for the whole US, and don't get one for just Arizona birds, because those don't begin to have all the birds that live in AZ, and you will get frustrated because you'll see a bird and it won't be in the AZ book.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 3/14/2009, 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz - I agree 100% with azbackpackr. I have bird books with photos and bird books with illustrations. The illustrated books are the best. Go to a library or bookstore and check them out. For a photo book I recommend Stan Tekiela's Birds of Arizona Field Guide
http://www.amazon.com/Birds-Arizona-Field-Guide-Tekiela/dp/1591930154

But the book I always go to first is my Sibley's. It's also the little extras in Peterson & Sibley - such as the illustrated general tips.

ps Elizabeth - that pack looks as big as you. Laughing
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/14/2009, 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Al_HikesAZ wrote:
ps Elizabeth - that pack looks as big as you. Laughing

Oh, Al, I love my old A-16 frame with my old Frostline kit packbag on it! I keep buying internal frame ones and not liking them. I gave the last one to my daughter--and she's using it for luggage to go to spring break in Hawaii! The A-16 is not for use in serious canyoneering, so I do need to buy an internal frame one and actually KEEP it, even if it does feel a bit like a straight-jacket...not that I've ever had occasion to actually WEAR a straight-jacket... Rolling Eyes My knees are getting bad, anyway, so I'm mostly doing trails when backpacking these days, so that old frame is the one!
Suz

PostPosted: 3/22/2009, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm back from a 3 day backpack trip to the lower section of the Blue River(near Clifton).......and I'm hooked! What a special treat!

This was as wild and scenic an area as promised. Every curve and bend of the river was unique and beautiful. It is an amazingly gorgeous river that will show variety in all seasons...each more glorious than the last, no doubt. Tall canyon walls and interesting rock formations lined the river on each side. Cottonwoods and Sycamores larger than I have ever seen were along the banks.
Cascading waterfalls, swimming holes...........................................
and sandy beaches spread throughout the river made for lots of great places for mini breaks while we stopped to take it all in.

The water temperature was cool but very tolerable. The water flow was manageable in most places. At times we were in up to our upper thighs...and where it was too intense the bank was passable. Sadie learned to really swim well, fight strong currents and when all else failed she was able to leap out of the water like a dolphin.

This was my first backpack in a couple of years, Sadie's first backpack ever, and our first backpack with Karl.

We finished the Wild and Scenic tour with what has got to be the best Mexican food ever at a little place in Safford...Chalos...chicken enchilada with a green pork sauce.

We're already planning our next trip back to this same section of the river....it was that good! (and I don't usually care to do repeat trips) I'm also hoping to explore the upper end of this river in late April or early May. I love the BLUE!
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 3/22/2009, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome pics Suz! Stop exploring cool places! I don't when I'll be able to get back there to check them out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: