ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Nothing like the Needle!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/24/2008, 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome accomplishment Susan! Pete you are the bomb! I know Susan has looked forward to this climb for a while now and you helped her make it happen!

I want to shine!
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/24/2008, 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sadie didn't want to join in the adventure? Wink
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/24/2008, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz I'll take you up 4 Peaks, the week after I take Diane.

lmfao
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 11/24/2008, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW, congrats on the climb. Hopefully one day i'll be able to get up there like that. Nice pictures as well.

As far as the four peaks go, if you really need someone to go with you I would be more than happy to tag along.

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Suz

PostPosted: 11/25/2008, 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Erock wrote:
Cool deal . . . how technical was the climb to the top?

How about Baboquivari? Up for doing that?

It was a smidge technical. Pete had reassured me that I have experienced far more exposure and much more technical routes---he's right. That being said I'm not sure I could do it on my own......yet. I'm just not strong enough to carry the rope and climb.

I don't know what Baboquivari is........

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Suz I'll take you up 4 Peaks, the week after I take Diane.

lmfao

Too Cool Really... Chin Scratching ..................I'll trade ya the Monk for the Peaks dunno

Desert-Boonie wrote:
WOW, congrats on the climb. Hopefully one day i'll be able to get up there like that. Nice pictures as well.

As far as the four peaks go, if you really need someone to go with you I would be more than happy to tag along.

Spinning hmmmmmmm, now that's the spirit! Spinning on my head
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/25/2008, 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Erock wrote:

How about Baboquivari? Up for doing that?

I don't know what Baboquivari is........

Ooh! You should definitely go do Baboquivari! It's a mtn in Southwest AZ that requires technical climbing gear to reach the summit. There is a really easy route to the top, but there are other harder routes as well. I think most of the routes are between 4 and 6 pitches.

Read my trip report here:
http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=4&EXT=MT

This is more of a "what not to do" story than anything else.

Have fun!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/25/2008, 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That trip report sounds interesting .... after the fact!!! Very Happy
lzyboy

PostPosted: 11/25/2008, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
This is more of a "what not to do" story than anything else.
Looks like you should have watched more James Bond before you went! Didn't need to put your climbing shoes on, just pull the laces out of your boots and prusik up the rope! Awww Rats!

You kids today obviously haven't watched enough TV to acquire an adequate set of problem solving skills. For instance, the best training to climb Rainier? Watch the movie 'K2' like 8 or 9 times... you're good to go!! thumbs up

Sounds like you almost qualified for the elusive "epic" on that one!! Glad it all worked out OK. And, remember, adventure is never fun while you're having it!! Very Happy
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/25/2008, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

lzyboy wrote:
Looks like you should have watched more James Bond before you went! Didn't need to put your climbing shoes on, just pull the laces out of your boots and prusik up the rope! Awww Rats!

I'm well aware of prusiking and have done it several times. I thought about prusiking in that situation, but it was far easier to climb the 100 ft back to the anchors than to prusik. Besides, the prusik would have been free-hanging, the most evil of all prusiks. With climbing, I was able to traverse to a vertical spot on the cliff and avoid the overhang. It wasn't the safest way to go, but nothing about our situation was safe. It was an exercise in stupidity.

In retrospect, it was fun!
lzyboy

PostPosted: 11/25/2008, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:
I'm well aware of prusiking and have done it several times.
On shoelaces?? UIAA shock load rating of .03 kN?? Fall rating of .0015?? We're talking dress shoes here! You could still learn a thing or two from Bond.... James Bond... Very Happy
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/26/2008, 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

lzyboy wrote:
Matt Hoffman wrote:
I'm well aware of prusiking and have done it several times.
On shoelaces?? UIAA shock load rating of .03 kN?? Fall rating of .0015?? We're talking dress shoes here! You could still learn a thing or two from Bond.... James Bond... Very Happy

Oh yeah, I missed that detail. I have not prusiked on shoelaces, but I would if I had too. Fall ratings be damned! Twisted Evil
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/26/2008, 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Brian, who is spiderman to me, relates tales of rappeling off the end of a rope on belts, bungee cords, and straps off packs to get to bottom of pits in caves. He also grew up around camelback and tells me he used to climb the Monk when he was in high school--no rope and in tennis shoes, climb up and down, he did say at the top was some "spooky" exposure.
He also downclimbed a pit and was spreadeagled with feet on one side and fists on the other face down still about 14 feet off the floor. He was lucky his partner could accurately direct a rope for him to make a spiderman move.
Another story--- he was rapping when the anchors in sandstone popped out. He was able to push off and stuff a fist into a natural crack and hang from one arm until the guys on top could again drop a rope to him.

9 lives-----9 lives----- Exclamation
Suz

PostPosted: 11/26/2008, 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Crazy!

They taught us about fists in cracks, actually got to use some mono-pocket moves in queen creek on a 5.8...it's amazing to pull up your entire body weight on one finger shoved into a small pocket...but it's a sweet crank when it works for ya!

Here's a picture for ya!

I believe this was taken Tuesday and is Nestor. He's climbing something in Barks Canyon out in the Superstitions with Chris. Anyone see this tower before?
Suz

PostPosted: 12/4/2008, 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This one has been on the my list for a couple of a years. It has been difficult to sit down and put the experience into words....I'm certain I have not done the adventure justice in any way shape or form. Hence the long trip report---forgive me!

Broken toes, bad weather and just "stuff" have kept me away until recently. Having just recently completed AMC's Basic Outdoor Technical Climbing class and the Anchors class I was more ready than ever to summit The Needle! My good friend Pete offered to help me accomplish this little goal.

We started from the Peralta trailhead at 6:30am and finshed around 6:30pm so it was a full day, indeed. Looking at Weaver's Needle from Fremont Saddle tends to leave me feeling a bit overwhelmed about the task of getting to the top. That darn thing looks huge! Pete was good about reassuring me that I have climbed things that are much more challenging and possibly more exposed. He was correct. As we approached the Base of the Needle it seemed to get smalled......or perhaps more "do-able". I think the most challenging part for me was the scramble after we left the Bluff Springs Trail to reach the base of the Needle "the Notch" between to the two halves of the Needle. It was steep and full of loose kitty litter type scree with strategically placed cactus and cat claw.....I hate that stuff.

Pete tossed our rope up over a boulder for the first technical part of the climb. I've seen this rated lots of different things but will agree with the 5.4. My job here was to keep Pete safe (and myself should he take a fall while I was tied into the rope) and belay him while he managed the rock and rope. The tricky part for me here was not being able to actually see him while he climbed. I had to carefully watch the slack in the rope and keep it tight enough but not too tight....and feed him rope as he moved. I had already done a bit of lead belaying both in the gym and outdoors so I felt comfortable and ready to assist Pete. Falling here is a REALLY bad idea. Pete had the hard job. This is where I changed into my climbing shoes.....gotta love that sticky rubber! and my climbing harness. Pete quickly set some anchors and I was on my way, too! I knew you all were doing the Superstition Ridgeline so I kept looking over to see if I could spot anyone but I couldn't. Pete broke down the anchors and I scrambled up the next part of the Needle. I made a couple of wrong route choices and cliffed out a bit. After back-tracking once or twice I found the correct slab to climb under. It was a smidge tight to squish through with a pack on so Pete had to take his pack off and some how drag it behind him. Thankfully he was prepared for this. This is about where I saw the first set of bolts. I stepped over to them and hooked up my personal anchors to take a good look over the edge.....this is where we would do the last rappel on the way down. Wooowee it was sure awful down looking. Surprised Pete pointed out the next direction of the climb and sent me on the way. I tried to talk him into being finished right at this spot but that wasn't going to work. In the next section there was a little outcropping of rock that I had to get around that spooked me a bit but Pete reassured me there were plenty of hand holds and big jugs to use.....again he was correct! I absolutely love this type of climbing/scrambling. We made it to the top at 12:30pm----actually a respectable time considering all the dilly-dallying that I do. We both worked diligently to stay adequately hydrated all day. Climbing and cramping can be a really bad thing....prevention is really the best option.

At the top we took off our packs, grabbed a bit to eat, soaked in the amazing views, wrote in the summit journal and snapped a few pictures. After a few minutes another guy popped up on the top.....no rope, small pack............. We were sort of shocked to see him. Turns out he was a frickin animal! That guy---Brian was his name---had climbed up from the base in 20 minutes. I think he made it to the whole journey from the car to the top in 1.5 hours.......now that's HARDCORE. We offered him a rap down on our rope....he turned it down and then after sizing up the descent he showed up having decided climbing down is a lot different. Pete set the anchor, I did the first rap on a double rope....that first step off the cliff is a little scary but then I'm good. Pete gave Brian his harness and the came next. Pete reset the anchor so he could pull the rope and came down. Brian left and scrambled the rest of the way down without us......crazy! I'm sure he was back at the trailhead before we were completely off the Needle.

We scrambled a bit and made it to the next pitch for our final rappel. Pete set the anchor and tossed the rope for a long single rope rappel. We had radios with us so we could communicate a little easier.....it was a good idea. While I was on my rap I looked back and notice a massive KNOT in the rope. I quickly recognized that this would significantly complicate things! Thankfully, I was appropriately prepared for this scenerio in my climbing class although I had not had the best success with the options in the gym....but I knew my options and that kept me pretty calm and focused. I took the rope and wrapped it behind my back and around my left thigh a couple of times so I could release my brake hand. Now I had both hands free to pull up the rope and begin the process of untangling the darn knot. My other option would have been to take a prusik cord off my harness and prusik around it....that would have been a long and involved process. In my mind I was gearing up for that possibility. I got the knot out and was pretty excited that I could continue the rappel. It's always good to realize that the simple things in life like untieing and knot can bring such joy! The rope was pretty kinked and twisted so it was slow going but I was excited to get to practice some of things I had learned in my class........real-life stuff with a view woohooo! I reached the end of the rope and got my feet securely on the ground. Not much I could do at this point except wait for Pete. Things got a little more complicated for him with the twisty rope....perhaps he'll explain. He had to do the rap down as a multi-pitch so that was a little more slow going, too. Once he was down I packed up the rope while he rested and hydrated.

The scramble down the base was my least favorite part......that darn loose crap again.....only fell three times.....but one of those doesn't count. My climbing shoes smell horrible after they have been used.....who would think girls could have such stinky feet....but mine were! I big gust of wind came along and gave me a good whiff of my stinky shoes, complicated even more with my body odor at this point and I think the combination of those two nasty smells just blew me right off my feet! (so I'm thinking that fall doesn't count as a fall!) The rest of the hike out was on the trail and went as trail hiking tends to go....pretty status quo there. We watched the sunset on Weaver's Needle from Fremont Saddle. I had my point and shoot camera and no tripod with me so the photos are far from remarkable. (haven't yet figure out how to manage the camera while climbing and with all the gear) We did the hike down Peralta in the dark which was rather enjoyable after such an amazing day. Pete showed me that my headlamp could be worn around my waist and that I had a wide angle lens on it. These two things made the night hike great fun because the light was stable and I could move my head around without losing the light.

Great day, amazing adventure.................I feel reconnected with the Superstitions once again.

ahhhhhhhhh Yahoo!
Thanks Pete---you rock!
lzyboy

PostPosted: 12/4/2008, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was a fun time and Suz did an awesome job, a good testimonial to her tenacity and the AMC courses. Just reading the trip report has made my hands start sweating a little Rolling Eyes
Suz wrote:
Things got a little more complicated for him with the twisty rope....perhaps he'll explain.

I realized the doubled rope would not reach the lower anchors safely, so I climbed back up to the upper anchors, locked off and proceeded to pull the rope, but had mismanaged the twists in the rope and pulling it was almost impossible. It was a mistake that cost us a lot of time, and me a lot of energy. As a result, I ran out of water earlier than expected and had to rely on my partner to get me out Embarassed , which she did, thankfully. Hey, as they say, "that which does not kill you...".

I'm almost ready to do it again, this time from the west side.. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: