ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
**Climbing** Phoenix Rock Gym in Tempe 11/26 @ 4:30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(4)
User
Suz
Erock
Davis2001R6
desertgirl
Suz

PostPosted: 11/23/2008, 7:41 pm    Post subject: **Climbing** Phoenix Rock Gym in Tempe 11/26 @ 4:30 Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm working to plan another group discount night for Wednesday 11/26 at 4:30pm. We usually stay until 9 or 9:30 and sometimes grab a quick bite afterwards.

Apparently you need to give my name to get the 8.00 price....a fine savings of 3 bucks per person!!

We just need 10 people. It'll be a great way to pre-burn calories before the big Turkey Day meal....thus giving you justification to eat with reckless abandon on Thursday. Wink

Hope you'll consider joining us. No experience needed.....they'll teach you when you arrive.....come on, it'll be fun!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/23/2008, 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From 4:30 to 9:30...holy crap. I need to see what time I have to drop Jen off at the airport Wednesday. But I think it will work out well for me. Will confirm tomorrow.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/24/2008, 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
From 4:30 to 9:30...holy crap.

Does that seem like a long time? I have heard similar comments from other people but when you are there it doesn't seem like that long. It just gives you a big window get there.

Multi Hope you can make it.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/24/2008, 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I've never been to climbing but I pictured in my head 2+ hours. I should be able to go, will be there at 4:30.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/24/2008, 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fun!
You'll have to fill out some paper work when you get there and then watch a short video. After that someone from the gym will supervise you on belay and give you the OK to climb.

I like to have one glove on my right hand for belaying. (because I'm right handed and the ropes at the gym suck)
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 11/24/2008, 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Fun!
You'll have to fill out some paper work when you get there and then watch a short video. After that someone from the gym will supervise you on belay and give you the OK to climb.

I like to have one glove on my right hand for belaying. (because I'm right handed and the ropes at the gym suck)
Suz, what kind of gloves?
Suz

PostPosted: 11/24/2008, 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, my glove is a "lost n found" glove. Sort of a Michael Jackson thing with the fingers cut out, and a protected sturdy surface on the palm. It has an open weave on the back side so it's airy and velcros along the wrist.....I don't really know what kind of glove it is since it was given to me....I'm still trying to find the owner.
Erock

PostPosted: 11/24/2008, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
From 4:30 to 9:30...holy crap.

Time flies when you are climbing, hours go by without even noticing it!

Suz, I may not be able to make this after all, I found out this morning that I'll be working a half day on Wednesday. If I leave right after work I'll be rolling into the valley around 2pm or so. Depends on how much the weather slows me down.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/25/2008, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay so aside from the four people listed above (erock confirmed he'll make a guest appearance)
we've got
5. Robert E.
6. Mike K.
7. Mark
8. Kelly (5:30ish)

so we're not at our minimum 10 right now Crying or Very sad ..................but our group email list is growing....so maybe there will be some last minute joiner-in-ers!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/26/2008, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Climbing was a good time, glad I finally made it out there. porridge new hobbies I need to buy stuff for now. Thanks for teaching me the ropes!
Suz

PostPosted: 11/26/2008, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, you did great!
Good teachers = great student.

for your shopping list----
1. ATC device (the class teaches us the value of a spare ATC device so yes 2 of these)
2. 2 Personal Anchors (with a locking biner on each---got into a situation with one so I am now a supporter of two )
3. Helmet
4. gloves (belay/rappel) perhaps you'll want these
5. Climbing Shoes
6. Nice locking biner for your ATC (no nose, red paint to show it's locked)
7. maybe a chalk bag
8. Prusik cord
9. 2 spare locking biners
10....someone's gonna need to buy a rope and a rope bag Rolling Eyes

Eric, great to see you, too. Sorry we didn't stay as long tonight......
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/26/2008, 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

11. 2 non locking oval biners
Suz

PostPosted: 11/27/2008, 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
11. 2 non locking oval biners

I know they actually gave those to us in the class but I dispute Tim's need for those right now.....but if he wants to have what we have then yes....needed now? Just not sure. Trying to save him a few bucks.

I agree they are very handy now that we have had the anchors class but will Tim need them for the Monk?
Erock

PostPosted: 11/28/2008, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, it was good to climb with y'all and meet some new people. Went climbing again today before driving home and am definitely feeling some muscle groups that have been neglected over the past month and a half since I last climbed!

By the way, there is snow on the rim. Probably won't last long, though. Just a few inches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: